Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Aug 18, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Upper age limit

Hi,
Just wondering if any of the main car hire companies ie Avis, Budget,Alamo etc have an upper age limit for insurance purposes,
any info greatly appreciated..
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
This took some searching as everything on Google takes me back to under 25's not those over 70.

We know some 3rd party suppliers wont quote online for over 70's but what tends to stop the car rental agencies from putting an upper age cap on is the fact they will then become a target for ageism allegations and potentially being sued for discrimination.

So:-

Hertz - They dont have a cap and on the Saga website offer a discount for older drivers

Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz no upper age limit

National is the same but does in some Irish locations - weird.

Dollar and Thrifty may have a limit but I can't find out what it is apart from the fact uscarhire and usrentacar say there is no limit.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Thank you Mr T much appreciated, as provisional planning for 2020 has started, just thought i would check...once again thank you very much for your help.
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

This is what SIXT state on their web site at sixt/car-rental-age-limit/

Car Rental Age Limit for Seniors

When planning a trip with a Sixt rental car you might have questions about upper age limits. Often in the United States the rules are focused on the driver being 21 and older. The US regulations for car rental over 75 years of age aren’t as clear as in other countries. Here we try to give you some clarity on the subject.

What Is the Car Rental Age Limit for Seniors?
At Sixt rent a car locations in the US we don’t have upper age limits. We do look at any restrictions listed on a renter’s driver’s license and check that it's vald. There are no specific excess charges for car rental protection through Sixt for drivers age 70 and older. In the US the car rental age restrictions are generally only that the driver be over 21. If you have doubts about your ability to rent a car with Sixt, please contact the desired branch or check the rental information.

Car Rental Abroad over 75 Years of Age
In most of Europe, there is no car rental age limit for drivers over the age of 65. Germany, France, Spain and the United Kingdom all have all car rental over 80 years old. In parts of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia there are restrictions or surcharges for senior drivers. It is worth checking in advance the rental information.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Well I'm 72 and I regularly promote Andy at DFCH on here.

His home page asks "Driver age between 25 and 99" Are you into three figures?

Mick
Old 13 Aug 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Thanks Mick...
very much appreciated for your help, as for three figures... the closest i get to that is when Mrs G is on a shopping expedition and i am never quite sure if its my heart rate or the bill at the checkout which is the highest ! thank you again..
Old 13 Aug 18, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gasman66 View Post
Thanks Mick...
very much appreciated for your help, as for three figures... the closest i get to that is when Mrs G is on a shopping expedition and i am never quite sure if its my heart rate or the bill at the checkout which is the highest ! thank you again..
You can't get a quote off Netflights on line if you're over 70 but I've had my monthly rant. You can if you ring them apparently.

Mick