Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Sep 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

Black cabs are metered so you pay by the journey - they do tend to feel expensive. Uber is an option and tends to be cheaper. Buses are a great option - you can get them on a travel card and see lots of London from the top deck (I think that children under 11 are free). The website tfl.gov.uk allows you to plan a journey and tells you which tube or bus to pick up.

For example, from Kings Cross it shows you picking up a 91 bus to Russell Square for £1.50. You just tap your debit card as you get on so no need to have the correct cash - you will always be charged the best fare.

The British Museum is a 4 minute walk across Russell Square so really easy.

From Euston it is just a 15 minute walk to the British Museum in pretty much a straight line

Edited at 07:58 PM.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I would add that if you have a smart phone, download the free 'citymapper' app. You can put in a destination (and a start point if you wanted to check out the journey beforehand) and it will give you all manner of ways to get there including bus and walking directions. If you start your chosen journey, it will alert you when to get off buses.
Try not to be nervous although it's easier said than done! I've walked around London late at night and while I'm always aware of my surroundings, I'm not scared, whereas I walked through Birmingham last year at 10pm and felt very unsafe.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

London like any other city in the uk is generally safe there are bad areas you will not go anywhere near them p. The area around kings cross is as safe as house and Euston is a 5-10 minute walk.

As others have said the chance of crime and terrorism is far greater at DLP than in london.

So don’t worry and have a wonderful time
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I second getting city mapper.

There is a lovely walk from Euston to the British Museum, it takes you via several parks, Tavistock and Russell Square and University College and SOAS, it’s off the main drag and very peaceful. Would take you 10-15 minutes from the station to the museum. I took this route to my work in Covent Garden. Lots of students about. If you don’t like crowds then stay off the Kingsway road as it’s very busy.

The re furbed bit of Kings Cross is very continental, bars, cafes, fountains and nice places to eat. And of course platform 9 3/4.

Euston has a bit of work going on but taxi rank is out the front, well sign posted and people in attendance to help if you need it.

Edited at 08:35 AM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Hombody1976
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Is it safe to jump in any black cab? How will i know if I'm being ripped off price wise? Any idea on rough cost per mile? Probably Looking at premier inn kings cross to Madame tussauds and back, and british museum and back.
Hombody1976 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hombody1976 View Post
Is it safe to jump in any black cab? How will i know if I'm being ripped off price wise? Any idea on rough cost per mile? Probably Looking at premier inn kings cross to Madame tussauds and back, and british museum and back.
If you're a nervous traveller, I personally would use uber rather than a black cab as this way you will be able to put in your exact journey, get the cost upfront and have all the details of the car and driver so you know they're legit.
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Black cabs are all licensed and regulated so you can’t really be ripped off, but they are expensive. They charge on a combination of distance and time, so if you’re stuck in traffic the cost will still go up, even if you’re not moving. They usually start on a fixed price (say £3.30 or £4.60 or something like that) and charge on top. But there’s no such thing as a dodgy black cab, so you’ll be absolutely fine

I’ve commuted in and out of central London for 10 years now and there’s tourists tourists everywhere so please don’t worry about being singled out or looking like a target, you’ll be absolutely fine xx

Edited at 08:09 AM.
MsMinervaMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Hombody1976 View Post
So we have a long journey from North West England next May down to the Eurostar. We've decided to travel by train day before and stay overnight, then same on way back. We are not regular travellers and never go on train. I'm also very anxious and worry about everything. I'm now concerned for safety in London with young son and the thoughts of walking just 15mins from Euston to a premier inn scares me, as does the size and crowds of the stations themselves. DH would like to look at British Museum while we're there (neither of us have ever been to London) but i worry about getting in a dodgy taxi or on the wrong bus. Don't even get me started on terrorism! Any tips or reassurances please?
I travel daily from the milton keynes area into london every day and whilst I cant say it's a pleasurable experience my wife worries more about it more than I do.

The biggest upset I have faced in the last week is torrential rain yesterday.

My tip (obvious I know) is to avoid rush hour travel. It's not pleasent but I wouldn't describe it as unsafe. Yes, there are occasional incidents which get reported but that's true for a lot of cities.

If it's a warm day carry some water with you to keep hydrated

Enjoy your time.

Just be aware that if you are catching the underground from euston station (which is different from euston square) there is construction work going on but the signs are quite clear
Old 25 Sep 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Also, if you’re there mid-week, I’m happy to give you my personal number in case you get lost or stuck. Just give me a call or text and I’ll walk you through it or come find you x
Old 8 Feb 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Hombody1976
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Are there any black cabs near premier inn kings cross to hail or do i need to pre book? After we've checked in we want to get to madam tussauds pretty quick.
Hombody1976 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List