Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 7 Sep 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Well it turns out it must’ve been a refurbed studio...this next one is the same! It hasn’t worn well or maybe they just reused the old furniture as it’s scuffed and chipped. The drawer on bedside table doesn’t close, there are no usb charging points or spare plug sockets near the table. Paper plates and plastic cutlery (so much for reducing plastic!). The TV and unit have wires trailing about that you can see.

It’s all just a bit odd really, the room doesn’t compare to a studio in BCV or AKV and I think I even prefer the current SSR studios...but then again, studio here cost us 10ppn. I think we’ve maybe been spoilt by our stays in the last week!

Other than that, the resort itself is beautiful and the CM are some of the loveliest we’ve met so we’re enjoying our first stay here x
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by onion2803 View Post
Well it turns out it must’ve been a refurbed studio...this next one is the same! It hasn’t worn well or maybe they just reused the old furniture as it’s scuffed and chipped. The drawer on bedside table doesn’t close, there are no usb charging points or spare plug sockets near the table. Paper plates and plastic cutlery (so much for reducing plastic!). The TV and unit have wires trailing about that you can see.

It’s all just a bit odd really, the room doesn’t compare to a studio in BCV or AKV and I think I even prefer the current SSR studios...but then again, studio here cost us 10ppn. I think we’ve maybe been spoilt by our stays in the last week!

Other than that, the resort itself is beautiful and the CM are some of the loveliest we’ve met so we’re enjoying our first stay here x
This is a real surprise as the ones on YouTube etc all appear pristine. Are the carpets threadbare in this one too? They were replaced unless some were not under this contractual issue, and it’s hard to believe they got worn within a year?!

All studios have paper plates and plastic cutlery. This is a bugbear of many, including Mr Morrow who has been very vocal about this in the past.

Edited at 06:41 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Blimey, makes the Travelodge look good. I guess once they have the members money from DVC they don’t have to do that much as the rooms will always be sold

Paper plates and plastic cutlery would be the final straw for me.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Blimey, makes the Travelodge look good. I guess once they have the members money from DVC they don’t have to do that much as the rooms will always be sold

Paper plates and plastic cutlery would be the final straw for me.
It’s due to the strict hygiene regs- no dishwasher. The 1 and 2 beds have a full set of normal cutlery. The refurbed rooms at OKW get a lot of praise, YouTube them, this is the first report I’ve seen like this.
Old 7 Sep 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
This is a real surprise as the ones on YouTube etc all appear pristine. Are the carpets threadbare in this one too? They were replaced unless some were not under this contractual issue, and it’s hard to believe they got worn within a year?!

All studios have paper plates and plastic cutlery. This is a bugbear of many, including Mr Morrow who has been very vocal about this in the past.
No it’s the same carpet again but not threadbare this time. Still looks older than 1 year, might be the fetching brown colour.

AKV and BCV had proper plates and cutlery in the studios this week so it’s clearly not a consistent rule for them. I am pretty shocked about the state of the furniture though, some dark wood and some beech coloured (which is enough to set me twitching anyway) and they’re covered in scratches, with drawers catching and not closing properly, wires hanging down from the tv and cable boxes. Wouldn’t expect to see such things from a refurbed room. If Rosen can manage to hide wires and provide USB ports, I don’t see why Disney are falling behind?

It’s fine, not worth a complaint or anything, it’s just really been a step down from the other rooms we’ve seen so far on this trip. And I’m still raging about the lack of USB ports 😂 I think other resorts are fairing better overall for studios.
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

No it’s the same carpet again but not threadbare this time. Still looks older than 1 year, might be the fetching brown colour.

AKV and BCV had proper plates and cutlery in the studios this week so it’s clearly not a consistent rule for them. I am pretty shocked about the state of the furniture though, some dark wood and some beech coloured (which is enough to set me twitching anyway) and they’re covered in scratches, with drawers catching and not closing properly, wires hanging down from the tv and cable boxes. Wouldn’t expect to see such things from a refurbed room. If Rosen can manage to hide wires and provide USB ports, I don’t see why Disney are falling behind?

It’s fine, not worth a complaint or anything, it’s just really been a step down from the other rooms we’ve seen so far on this trip. And I’m still raging about the lack of USB ports 😂 I think other resorts are fairing better overall for studios.
OKW isn’t my home resort so I don’t have any affiliation to it, save I very much liked it when I stayed pre refurb. I’m interested in your opinion, as I haven’t seen such reports elsewhere and I read a lot. Did your room look like this one in this video? This was taken a month ago, carpet etc is brand new. Yes it might not be quite as flashy as some others, but OKW has its own unique vibe as the first DVC and this looks pretty smart to me for what it is (I don’t book studios just 1 and 2 beds);

Also until very recently the AKL and BWV studios had paper plates- if they’ve changed it, that is very recent. From memory I remember Tom I think complaining about paper plates in SSR, then they went away, then came back. It’s for health code reasons apparently but does seem inconsistent. They are never paper when there is s dishwasher as that is deemed to sanitise them.

I’d highly recommend the canal path walk down to Disney Springs, get on it opposite the pool at South Pointe (the pool on the left off South Pointe Road, there’s a path directly across the road, when on it (golf carts go on it), turn left and over a bridge. Nice walk all the way to Saratoga and then Disney Springs.

Have a nice time.

Edited at 09:56 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
OKW isn’t my home resort so I don’t have any affiliation to it, save I very much liked it when I stayed pre refurb. I’m interested in your opinion, as I haven’t seen such reports elsewhere and I read a lot. Did your room look like this one in this video? This was taken a month ago, carpet etc is brand new. Yes it might not be quite as flashy as some others, but OKW has its own unique vibe as the first DVC and this looks pretty smart to me for what it is (I don’t book studios just 1 and 2 beds);

I’d highly recommend the canal path walk down to Disney Springs, get on it opposite the pool at South Pointe (the pool on the left off South Pointe Road, there’s a path directly across the road, when on it (golf carts go on it), turn left and over a bridge. Nice walk all the way to Saratoga and then Disney Springs.

Have a nice time.
Ah yes we’ve taken the path, it’s a lovely walk.

Don’t misunderstand me - we’re enjoying our stay but the studios are absolutely falling behind AK and the new SSR (from Mr T photos) which I’d put in the same point cost category.

I can’t play the video link but from the research I’ve done today, we are indeed in a refurbed room. Perhaps it’s previous occupants threw rocks about the room and clawed at the walls. Block 33 was refurbed first, almost 2 years ago now.

Either way, scuffed furniture is not something we’re so bothered about to make a complaint but we will strongly suggest they provide usb sockets via a lamp or digital clock - it’s a simple fix.
Old 8 Sep 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Ah yes we’ve taken the path, it’s a lovely walk.

Don’t misunderstand me - we’re enjoying our stay but the studios are absolutely falling behind AK and the new SSR (from Mr T photos) which I’d put in the same point cost category.

I can’t play the video link but from the research I’ve done today, we are indeed in a refurbed room. Perhaps it’s previous occupants threw rocks about the room and clawed at the walls. Block 33 was refurbed first, almost 2 years ago now.

Either way, scuffed furniture is not something we’re so bothered about to make a complaint but we will strongly suggest they provide usb sockets via a lamp or digital clock - it’s a simple fix.
I’d agree they didn’t spend as much on that refurb as what they appear to be spending on SSR. They did repurpose some furniture for example, the dining table and the infamous crocodile coffee table in the 1 beds. They just painted it.Whereas it looks like they totally replaced it all in SSR.

SSR looks like they took the refurb level above Beach Club and Boardwalk, it looks a bit more like a Riviera, I am very excited to stay in the new 1 beds there, which for value, are as cheap as OKW as you say.

I do like the vibe of OKW though and the ability to run and walk about. Animal Kingdom drove us nuts, they need to put a long walking path to Animal Kingdom park in there, that would be lovely.
Old 8 Sep 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Bear in mind some people just don't treat things nicely.

Yesterday in SSR we were walking to our room and I saw a meandering line going from the lifts about 200ft and into a room. The painted floor was badly marked.

Undoubtedly a jammed suitcase wheel. When they put laminate down in the rooms that will be trashed by such an action. Very sad.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

I am now not sure where to choose

Stick with SSR, take our chance with a 2 bed at OKW, 1 bed at BWV or try Riviera

I suppose it will depend on what's available in 17days time.