Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Sustainability and climate change etc

I had a training at work last week about sustainability leadership. They covered various elements including things like bio diversity, climate change and carbon neutrality. It’s made me really tune into how I can help. Subsequently I’m reading The future we choose. I’ve decided I’m going to pay to offset carbon emissions from all my holiday flights and also make an effort in shopping to pick local products with a better footprint. Why have an apple from Fiji when I can get one grown here? Just wondering what steps others have taken for inspiration?
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

I have been shopping for local (ish, ie UK) fruit for years as well as UK manufactured food products as a rule.
More difficult for Flowers as most come from overseas (I don’t buy flowers really though) 😀

I won’t be paying to offset flights though, as I don’t really trust where the money goes. Much better to plant a Tree maybe? or walk to shop instead of drive. Something that can be measured.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I am no expert so I have no idea what can forcefully be done but I do wish that non recyclable items were banned, maybe business could do overseas business via zoom rather than flying overseas. Even limit flights for people, for example, my sister has been aboard 4 times since Christmas, maybe if that wasn’t allowed she would do one but stay longer.
We all need to make an effort but some people won’t, some people don’t care, some have no idea like my mum who doesn’t listen to the news. Therefore something needs to be done further up the ladder, if it wasn’t for sale it wouldn’t be bought.
I am not vegan but I do follow a vegan diet mostly apart from chocolate and ice cream.
I find it scary, I look at my 8 year old and wonder what things will be like when he is nearly 50 like me. I want my children and future generations to life in a healthy world.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
I won’t be paying to offset flights though, as I don’t really trust where the money goes. Much better to plant a Tree maybe? or walk to shop instead of drive. Something that can be measured.
The offsetting tool Heathrow partner with is money to plant trees or invest in sustainable fuel. That’s what I’m going to use.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I have changed my life significantly in an attempt to be more sustainable. We are veggie during the week and barely eat any dairy products (only cheese!). My main focus recently has been eliminating single use plastics from our life.

We are in the planning stages of building our own, very sustainable house and in the next few years I hope to get a electric company car. In theory this car will be powered by solar energy generated from the panels on our house.

Our main downfall is travel. Going to go and investigate the carbon offset scheme you've mentioned

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
It is really depressing when you see all that can be done by the world's "greenest" countries (Scandinavia, UK, France etc) being offset by countries going in the exact opposite (China, India etc)
We can only try and put our own house in order as we are doing here in the UK and then persuade, pressure as best we can the others.
It's scary for sure.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I generally try to make green choices but not to major detriment to my life.

My view is if I take a long haul flight I am increasing my carbon footprint and no payment to offset that really does anyth7ng.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I generally try to make green choices but not to major detriment to my life.

My view is if I take a long haul flight I am increasing my carbon footprint and no payment to offset that really does anyth7ng.
That’s definitely one way to look at it. The book talks about different reasons why people don’t make a change. It talks about the need for stubborn optimism. For sure one person carbon offsetting won’t save the world. If we all did it and trees were planted in abundance we’d buy ourselves a lot more life for future generations.
Old 29 Oct 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...1136510&page=7

That thread may help. Every decision I now make I try to do sustainably. Currently I've stopped buying from amazon, try to buy used (cheaper & better for the environment) & organic.
I only eat meat 2-3 times a week & then it's chicken only.

In the new year I'm going to try a no buy year, or at least as close as I can get! Talking to my wife about what we wanted for Christmas we both said there's nothing we really need. So going forward we will only get needs & not wants. It's my birthday at new year also & my family know I'm environmental so presents or cards are that way enclined! I've told them there's several companies that do birthday cards/e-cards where they actually plants tree when you buy it.
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I was quite interested that there was a report about online videos, photos and the constant recharging of all our devices.,Getting the next new phone etc. I would be interested in other views when you think how much we use all of this in our daily lives.,
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List