Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 20 Nov 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I was going to cook a Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday until I noticed that a local smokehouse restaurant is doing one as a special. Much, much easier and probably more cost effective for 2 of us

Omg I miss tater tots! That menu sounds great!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I was going to cook a Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday until I noticed that a local smokehouse restaurant is doing one as a special. Much, much easier and probably more cost effective for 2 of us

I looked these up because you are based in the West Midlands, and so are we. Wow, this place looks great! I also checked out the delivery box for Thanksgiving as this may be better for us, it serves 4 but we could just have it for 2 days between the 2 of us. Looks great, thanks for posting this!
Old 22 Nov 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
I looked these up because you are based in the West Midlands, and so are we. Wow, this place looks great! I also checked out the delivery box for Thanksgiving as this may be better for us, it serves 4 but we could just have it for 2 days between the 2 of us. Looks great, thanks for posting this!
We had the same logic we ordered the thanksgiving delivery box plus tots and thought we would have it for 2 days.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

My Tesco shop with the bulk of my supplies for Thursday arrived today. No streaky bacon and no gammon so I'll have to source those when I pick up my turkey later in the week. Although I was undecided about doing both gammon and turkey so I may just give the gammon a miss altogether.

I ordered the biggest bag of pecans they had as I need them for a few different recipes, £3.90 for 250g and the bag is TINY. I think I am going to need at least another 2 bags, who knew pecans were so expensive?!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
My Tesco shop with the bulk of my supplies for Thursday arrived today. No streaky bacon and no gammon so I'll have to source those when I pick up my turkey later in the week. Although I was undecided about doing both gammon and turkey so I may just give the gammon a miss altogether.

I ordered the biggest bag of pecans they had as I need them for a few different recipes, £3.90 for 250g and the bag is TINY. I think I am going to need at least another 2 bags, who knew pecans were so expensive?!
I’m sorry to hear not everything came with your grocery shop. Do you think you will miss the gammon? I tend to get a little carried away and we always have way more food than we need. A Turkey sounds perfect!

Nuts are super expensive but they normally have it in two spots at the grocery store, some in baking and some near the fruit and veg. I can’t remember which but one area is definitely cheaper than the other! It might be worth checking when you pop back to get your bacon? I know no matter what you end up doing it will all be lovely. 💝😁
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
I’m sorry to hear not everything came with your grocery shop. Do you think you will miss the gammon? I tend to get a little carried away and we always have way more food than we need. A Turkey sounds perfect!

Nuts are super expensive but they normally have it in two spots at the grocery store, some in baking and some near the fruit and veg. I can’t remember which but one area is definitely cheaper than the other! It might be worth checking when you pop back to get your bacon? I know no matter what you end up doing it will all be lovely. 💝😁
I also have a penchant for getting carried away

I think I am going to pass on the gammon. There's only 2 of us so we are going to have more than enough food. I have planned so many sides that I had to buy some extra casserole dishes

I noticed this gammon in Iceland though and I think it looks gorgeous. A possibility for Christmas?! It's massive though but only £10.

Thank you for tip about the pecans!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
That marmalade gammon does look tasty, but I'd stick with just turkey too.

I used pecans in Christmas pudding and you're right they are pricey. All the dried fruit and nuts is pretty expensive, but definitely worth it.

Our Thanksgiving meal will be on Saturday as I won't be home until 6pm on Thursday so there is no way I'm starting then! I'm so looking forward tk seeing all your spreads.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews

I think I am going to pass on the gammon. There's only 2 of us so we are going to have more than enough food. I have planned so many sides that I had to buy some extra casserole dishes

I noticed this gammon in Iceland though and I think it looks gorgeous. A possibility for Christmas?! It's massive though but only £10.

That is brilliant! You can never have too many casserole dishes. The gammon looks delicious and very well priced. If you had it for Christmas you could do loads with the leftovers. Unfortunately nuts are expensive, I hope you manage to find some that are a bit more reasonable.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
That marmalade gammon does look tasty, but I'd stick with just turkey too.

I used pecans in Christmas pudding and you're right they are pricey. All the dried fruit and nuts is pretty expensive, but definitely worth it.

Our Thanksgiving meal will be on Saturday as I won't be home until 6pm on Thursday so there is no way I'm starting then! I'm so looking forward tk seeing all your spreads.
Abby it will be Saturday before you know it! I have been driving Adam crazy with my talk about ‘sides’ and ‘pies’ but I know he will be thankful once he sees it all. 😉 soooo hungry 😂
Old 23 Nov 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews

Ok, I did my grocery shopping today and double checked pecan prices for you. In the fresh fruit and vegetables section the nuts were on offer 2 x packs for £4 (normally £2.59 for 200g)

I then checked the baking section. There were no offers, it was £4 for 250g. I couldn’t discern any difference between the two different packs as that is a big difference in quantity (extra 150g for the packs on offer at the same total cost).

This was at Morrison’s, not sure if it is the same at other grocery stores. I hope this helps! Xx

Edited at 03:03 PM.