Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jun 22, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
DD is 17 next year. DH won’t take her out, so it’ll be down to me. We’ve booked her a course of Young Driver lessons so when she turns 17 she should be ok with the clutch etc. I’ve said I’ll wait until she’s had a couple of actual lessons before I go out with her.
DS is 17 next year and has had a few sessions a year for the last few years with Young Driver. BiL’s fault, he bought him a voucher for his birthday once and DS really enjoyed it. He does his driving at Kempton Park which has quite a long road around the outside of the race course so they get up a bit of speed, change gears etc. It’s also got a long slope they use for hill starts, plenty of painted spaces to practice parking in, plus parallel parking with cars they set up. We’re hoping it means he’s comfortable in a car when he finally hits the roads and can concentrate more on the traffic.

DH can’t take him out, he only has an auto car/license, and hasn’t used his own car for about 9 months. I’ve got the family car and will probably take him out once he’s had a good chunk of lessons with an instructor. He’ll be desperate to pass asap (and I’ll be almost as desperate for him to too &#129315
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 22, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mine have both passed and I still can’t go out with them.

DH had been out with them many times and says they are fine but I find it nerve wracking.

They both had a lot of lessons with the instructor and then went out with DH for about a month before they took their tests.

We paid £50 for 2 hours booked in blocks of 10 hours. I dread to think how many blocks I paid for. Quite a few.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
My son is 17 today and the only thing he wanted was for us to take him out for his first driving lesson.

Obviously we got him presents and gave him money for lessons, but we also insured him on my car and off we went.

Oh my god, how utterly terrifying! And we were only in an empty car park!

Any tips on how to do this? Or where to go?

Thank you

His lessons start soon, but he’d really like to practice with us in between.
We ve got 4 children and I wouldn’t take any of them on driving lessons I left it to DH.
I can remember him coming home after taking our eldest son out and he’d be shaking and always said he wouldn’t take him for another lesson but he always did.
The things he did weren’t funny at the time but we sometimes have a good laugh about them now.

One example
DH asked DS had he done any reversing around a corner with his driving instructor and he said yes he had and he was quite good at it.
DH told him to try reversing around a corner nice and slowly so he could see how good he was so DS puts the car in reverse foot to the floor and next thing DH knew all 4 wheels were on the pavement 🙀 just as well they were on a very quiet industrial estate about 8pm
Old 19 Jun 22, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

DD17 is currently having lesson, I wouldn’t even consider taking her out until ready for her test,
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

I point blankley refused to teach my daughter haha my nerves cant take it. I tried her once in my car (1.3l) and god help me. Her dad did and she passed in 22 lessons with an instructor. She turned 17 in the Jan and went into lockdown in the march so no lessons. Knew would be a back log so bought her a cheap run around to learn in. She had major leg surgery last july so out of action and then passed in May this year. Very proud of her but still not really been in with her haha. Its not just her, i'm a bad passenger with anyone. Her sister and grandparents all fine with her. She is a good driver.

Edited at 03:15 PM.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Mobile

DD2 passed her driving test last October. DH opted to take her out when she turned 17 in March before it was even possible to have driving lessons due to Covid.
DD2 started her lessons with an instructor at the end of April and passed first time after only about 17 lessons.
She is a fantastic, confident little driver whom had been able to help out taking her 90 year old grandpa to medical appointments and keep us all going when they rest of the family got Covid.
Puts DD1 to shame whom failed her test 12 times and needed many more lessons … but that is another story before Covid was a thing
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We took Ds out but waited until he had a few lessons first. We got a stand alone policy that we activated each time we went out and it didn’t affect my policy which made me a bit more relaxed but it was still nerve wracking and I hated it! Luckily he passed quite quickly, took 6 months altogether…. I don’t think my nerves would have take anymore and DH was even worse!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We use Marmalade insurance and paid £72 for the first month. The renewal came yesterday and only cost £86 for 90 days. I thought that was really good value if anyone was thinking they needed cover.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

My two will start learning in November, not that either of them are bothered about learning. I’m not sure if there’s much point of them learning to drive a manual car or whether to just get them in an automatic
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
My two will start learning in November, not that either of them are bothered about learning. I’m not sure if there’s much point of them learning to drive a manual car or whether to just get them in an automatic
I think going forward it will all be automatic electric cars but it won’t be for a while. If you have a manual licence then at least you can drive anything. My SIL has only ever had an automatic license and has struggled finding cars.

Edited at 07:58 AM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List