Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 26 Jun 22, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Thank you everyone who has suggested DAS. I will think very carefully about it. It just doesn’t sit right with me when he hasn’t got a diagnosis. (Even though I know they can’t ask for proof.)
My little girl didn't have a diagnosis when we went and I felt exactly the same as you! Just because nobody has confirmed that he has xy and z it doesn't mean he hasn't and the need is still there! We couldn't have managed what we did when we went without the das, its a godsend!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I thinking sending DH and DS ahead would definitely help us. They could always wait at the end for us to catch up. I think because I work with children, a lot of what he does simply washes over me so it doesn’t affect me the same as DH who doesn’t.

Thanks for the tips on games. I’ll check those out. He just needs to be distracted otherwise he’s a cross between a puppy and a monkey. At some points, he will be literally hanging off you. He won’t have a “meltdown” as such but we did have tears in Feb but I think that was more down to DH being grumpy with him rather than his ability to cope in a queue.
It does put alot on you if you send DH ahead ... but divide and conquer sometimes is the best way!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Thank you everyone who has suggested DAS. I will think very carefully about it. It just doesn’t sit right with me when he hasn’t got a diagnosis. (Even though I know they can’t ask for proof.)
You will still wait for the same amount of time as people in the standby line, so don't feel guilty for taking an option which is designed for the situation.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

I think as others have said you should apply for DAS, if you tell them your situation it will be them making the decision if your Ds is entitled to it not you so no need to feel wrong about that at all. Would he use a hand game console maybe? Have you also considered swapping the kids around from queue to queue so you and Dh are fresher and have a little more patience?
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Honestly DS was not diagnosed until he was older with ADHD and later again ASD - if I had known how hard it can be I would take every little bit of assistance as soon as you can .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dougyjemd
Trying for More Ears

dougyjemd's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Oh wow Rac20, I thought I was reading a post about my family. I'm in the exact same dilemma with my DS (13)
My DD is (15) and also has limited patience with the DS. But to add even more fun to our trip I have recently become a wheelchair user so that now added into mix, I'm sure I'll have a few more grey hairs by the end of our trip 🤣🤣 (I will be applying for DAS for myself for other reasons)
Like you I find it easier to split the group into two as less stressful for me and then me and hubby mostly stay friends lol
Can I also suggest think about the que times and what is manageable your DS. I have a rule that we only que if the wait time is less then 30/45mins but given our new dynamics I'm having a rethink and will prob just go with the flow in the moment depending on if I'm riding or not too.
Hope you have a magical trip
dougyjemd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

My tip would be download the Heads Up! app. We use it to while away time in the queue.
Alwaysdisley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dougyjemd View Post
Oh wow Rac20, I thought I was reading a post about my family. I'm in the exact same dilemma with my DS (13)
My DD is (15) and also has limited patience with the DS. But to add even more fun to our trip I have recently become a wheelchair user so that now added into mix, I'm sure I'll have a few more grey hairs by the end of our trip 🤣🤣 (I will be applying for DAS for myself for other reasons)
Like you I find it easier to split the group into two as less stressful for me and then me and hubby mostly stay friends lol
Can I also suggest think about the que times and what is manageable your DS. I have a rule that we only que if the wait time is less then 30/45mins but given our new dynamics I'm having a rethink and will prob just go with the flow in the moment depending on if I'm riding or not too.
Hope you have a magical trip
Thank you for the advice. 🤗We will have FOLP for Universal and will book Genie+ for some days I think so that will help. Hope you also have a wonderful trip! 🥰
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alwaysdisley View Post
My tip would be download the Heads Up! app. We use it to while away time in the queue.
I have that on my phone. It’s a great game. We’ll be taking power banks so should be okay.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lwuk
New Poster (4)

You could apply for it and then not use it if he's doing OK, just have it as a back up. As for queuing, maybe a phone hooked up to WiFi with some music or films downloaded on to it and some wireless headphones?
Lwuk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List