Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 9 May 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
A really interesting read on a lazy Sunday morning! Thanks for taking the time to write it. Off to read your pre trip now.
Enjoy!

You will find the two previous ones from March and Aug of 2020 just below it in the pre trip section.

Let’s hope that this latest one turns into a proper trip report commencing Aug 18.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks, really enjoyed reading along. Like you say, it's nice to hear about somewhere different - I've looked at the Panhandle but with no direct flight it's not as easy to get to as other parts of Florida.
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rossalino View Post
Thanks, really enjoyed reading along. Like you say, it's nice to hear about somewhere different - I've looked at the Panhandle but with no direct flight it's not as easy to get to as other parts of Florida.
I guess that a way to look at it is this..
1. Indirects are generally from Heathrow, which for me is an hour and a quarter shorter as a drive than Gatwick (each way), where directs tend to fly from.

2. I look at a flight duration as the time taken from when I enter a terminal to the time that I walk out at the other end.
LGW- MCO = 3+9+ 3or more to clear customs, immigration and reclaim =15.
LHR-Pensacola via Atlanta = 3+8 + 3 layover to do immigration, customs and get to departure gate+1.5 flight to Pensacola +.5 to get baggage and out of a small airport= 16.

3. Flying home could have been a direct from Orlando at pretty much the same price, but I chose a day in Daytona

4. Money. My flights cost Ł435 or so pp. I am betting that I could not have flown in and out of MCO on directs at that price during the Easter hols.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 02:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for taking the time to do your trippie I have really enjoyed reading along :spin
Hope your west coast trip goes ahead

Joan
Old 9 May 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do your trippie I have really enjoyed reading along :spin
Hope your west coast trip goes ahead

Joan
You are very welcome, Joan.

I am rather optimistic that I will get to the West Coast this summer.

Old 9 May 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I guess that a way to look at it is this..
1. Indirects are generally from Heathrow, which for me is an hour and a quarter shorter as a drive than Gatwick, where directs tend to fly from.

2. I look at a flight duration as the time taken from when I enter a terminal to the time that I walk out at the other end.
LGW- MCO = 3+9+ 3or more to clear customs, immigration and reclaim =15.
LHR-Pensacola via Atlanta = 3+8 + 3 layover to do immigration, customs and get to departure gate+1.5 flight to Pensacola +.5 to get baggage and out of a small airport= 16.

3. Flying home could have been a direct from Orlando, but I chose a day in Daytona

4. Money. My flights cost Ł435 or so pp. I am betting that I could not have flown in and out of MCO on directs at that price during the Easter hols.

Yes, I agree, timewise, not a lot in it but for me, the reason I prefer to go somewhere direct is I hate flying and going indirect means another takeoff and landing to worry about! I'd have been with your wife - that flight from Atlanta to Pensacola would have put me in a right state

The last time we went to America we were doing a trip round the Carolinas and had booked to go in and out of Charlotte but on the way out our flight from Heathrow was cancelled so we had to go via New York - unfortunately the flight from NY to Charlotte had a fault so we had to get off while they dealt with it then by the time we took off it was thundering and lightening. Anyway, I survived so it's not like I can't manage an indirect!
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I always think Orlando is the worst for immigration queues and by the time you realistically calculate the times there is little in it. I like to wander landside and inhale some unprocessed air mid journey too.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I always think Orlando is the worst for immigration queues and by the time you realistically calculate the times there is little in it. I like to wander landside and inhale some unprocessed air mid journey too.
Yes, I agree, and the layover break with a good leg stretch is a bonus, if you find the actual travel time is similar.

Another good measure is travelling from your front door to your hotel or Villa (minus arriving and departing from your overnight hotel if appropriate).
This clearly affects the airport you depart from, the airport that you arrive at, length of layovers, accumulated flying time etc etc.

At the end of the day and in my case, one consideration (up to a point), overrides all others, namely cost.

Edited at 02:24 PM.
Old 9 May 21, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures and glad to hear you are all still friends at the end of it. Not long until double digit dance day for you now! Happy planning for the next one.
Old 9 May 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures and glad to hear you are all still friends at the end of it. Not long until double digit dance day for you now! Happy planning for the next one.
I am glad that you enjoyed it.

My double digit dance will start tomorrow morning (albeit a rather cautious one).

2022 is being looked at. It will depend on..
1. If we have to rebook this one.
2. How many of us are travelling.

I fancy 10 in Hawaii via LAX with 5 days spent in San Diego. It will depend on flight prices etc etc.

Budget option is probably New Orleans and then a drive along the Coast to Destin with stops along the way.