Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 May 22, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Blaze, specifically - yes I do.

We love Blaze, it's tremendous value and the people making up the pizzas for us as we go down the line are always friendly and helpful. A few extra dollars makes little difference to us, and I'm happy to give it to people who have enahnced our experience.

Beyond Blaze though - pretty rarely. It does feel like it has become increasing commonplace to have tip options when paying by card and/or for there to be a tip jar, eg in places like 5 Guys and Chipotle. I'm pretty sure I've had it as an option on at least one app for one of the chains - very possibly one of the two I've just referenced.
Last time I went to 5 Guys in the UK I noticed they had a tip jar on the counter too!
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 22, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Andy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Blaze, specifically - yes I do.

We love Blaze, it's tremendous value and the people making up the pizzas for us as we go down the line are always friendly and helpful. A few extra dollars makes little difference to us, and I'm happy to give it to people who have enahnced our experience.
That was my usual experience at Blaze however the last time I went the service was appalling. The guy sorting out our pizza looked like he would rather be anywhere else and barely acknowledged us. It hasn't put me off Blaze, but I certainly won't return to the Disney Springs location again.

Edited at 03:48 PM.
Mr Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 22, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by deanobrown View Post
Last time I went to 5 Guys in the UK I noticed they had a tip jar on the counter too!
So do most coffee shops and cafes in the UK and have done for decades. No pressure to use them though, that’s the difference.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 22, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

We also did see this at a few locations (Gideons, Blaze, Crumble cookies, Panda express, Krispy kreme) most of the time it was on the tablet where you pay with your credit card. The no tip button was hard to find
And at some places it was a bit weird (like Gideons) where the interaction with the staff was only 10 seconds or so.
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 22, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
So do most coffee shops and cafes in the UK and have done for decades. No pressure to use them though, that’s the difference.
I think it depends on the person. Anytime I see a tip jar I almost feel compelled.

I probably care too much about what other people might think of me 😂😂
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 22, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
minniemouse
Looking for Mickey

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
I’m confused why a tip is expected at the Disney bars when they hand you a beer 😕
This, I've never understood this. What's the difference between pouring a beer from a bottle and handing it to you, or scooping a burger and fries onto a plate and handing it to you. I do it, as it's expected, and is the norm, but just don't get it.
Old 13 May 22, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
This, I've never understood this. What's the difference between pouring a beer from a bottle and handing it to you, or scooping a burger and fries onto a plate and handing it to you. I do it, as it's expected, and is the norm, but just don't get it.
To be honest, a lot of the tipping culture doesn't make sense (that's applies everywhere, not just at Disney or in Florida).

Take someone in a shoe shop, for example. They may go into the back and look for shoes in your size for you, they may measure your foot size, they may offer advice or suggestions, they may find different shoes of a similar style for you, they may package the shoes up for you. They offer a service. But most of us would never consider tipping them.

Whereas the person who takes our food order, brings plates full of food cooked by someone else to the table, and then takes away the empty plates gets tipped an additional 20% of the total cost of the meal.

It seems somewhat random who we choose to tip and who we don't. And the amount we tip is pretty random too. For some we tip a set amount ($2 to a barman, $1 per bag for the porter) whereas for others we tip a percentage (18% for the server, 10% for a taxi driver). In many cases, it doesn't really make sense.

It's best not to think about it too much and just roll with it. It makes life easier. Just factor it in and go with it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List