Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 12 Jun 22, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraggle35
Very Serious Dibber

Tipping on European cruises

Morning, we are new to cruising and have booked the Magic from Copenhagen in August. When it comes to tipping, do we tip in US dollars or Euros ? I'm thinking of incidental tips such as room service and bar tenders rather than the main ones which will go on my card at the end of the cruise. Cheers x
Fraggle35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We did a Disney European cruise in 2019 and all onboard charges were in US$. Everything onboard was in dollars. I don't remember an option to pay anything in other currencies. We didn't have occasion to pay any incidental tips though

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Yes, all in dollars.

You can add the tips to your onboard account if you don't want to get actual dollars. There is a way to do this on the app, although we never managed it - discovered later that we hadn't set it up correctly! So we would just drop by guest services when it was quiet and tell them we wanted to tip $5 to our server for last night's room service.

The only exception is the baggage handlers at the port, as they are local so it will be Euros. Although both cruises I've done, they were gone so quickly we didn't get a chance to tip them!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fraggle35 View Post
Morning, we are new to cruising and have booked the Magic from Copenhagen in August. When it comes to tipping, do we tip in US dollars or Euros ? I'm thinking of incidental tips such as room service and bar tenders rather than the main ones which will go on my card at the end of the cruise. Cheers x
Everything on the ship is in US Dollars. I am bring US dollars for cash tips. Think of the cm's. Many of them send most of the money they make home to family. They will have limited or no shore leave to spend the Euros or UK Sterling. Cash that is not US dollars will have to be converted to US dollars, either when the cm add it to their onboard account or change it to US dollars cash.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Fraggle35
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks all, will have some dollars spare so glad I can use them on this trip x
Fraggle35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Just to say apart from room service, the other tips will need to be charged to the room. You get automatically charged 18% grat on bar drinks but this is added to your room bill and you can't pay cash for this. You can also add a tip for room service charged to the room as well I believe but can also use cash for this.