Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jun 22, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

Roe v Wade

Controversial I know but is anyone else having reservations about booking a trip to the USA in light of todays decision, they have just moved that country backwards..
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MENTALMUM View Post
Controversial I know but is anyone else having reservations about booking a trip to the USA in light of todays decision, they have just moved that country backwards..
Not at all. I might not agree with it but there’s lots in life i don’t agree with.
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

This is where you know need to be more aware of State laws and RED / BLUE states.

For me personally, no it wont affect my travel to USA. I go to California which is very different politically from Florida.

What happens in California with Roe vs. Wade now dead?

BY MELODY GUTIERREZSTAFF WRITER
JUNE 24, 2022 UPDATED 8:30 AM PT
SACRAMENTO — Despite the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to strike down the landmark federal abortion rights case Roe vs. Wade, access to abortion in California will continue to be protected under state law and those rights will likely be expanded soon by Democratic leaders.
The state has been preparing for an influx from areas of the country where bans will be resurrected for the first time since 1973, with various bills and budget proposals calling for millions to be set aside for abortion services for the uninsured, workforce programs to increase providers and to assist patients traveling from other states. The Guttmacher Institute, a research organization that supports reproductive health and abortion rights, said 26 states will ban all, or nearly all, abortions now that the landmark case has been overturned.

“You will see the impact of the spillover from these other states,” said Cary Franklin, the faculty director at UCLA’s Center on Reproductive Health, Law, and Policy, which released a report this month estimating that 8,000 to 16,000 more people will travel to California each year for abortion care.

That includes up to 9,400 more people from antiabortion states seeking care in Los Angeles County alone, according to the UCLA report. That would put additional pressure on California’s abortion providers, creating a residual impact for residents seeking reproductive care even if the state’s laws remain untouched, Franklin said.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

I must admit for a split second I did think “what am I doing?” giving money to the US but there are so many countries that do things I don’t agree with that I wouldn’t be able to travel anywhere...
It’s just so backwards I’m struggling to comprehend it.
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
No I will still go to America. Contrary to some news outlets and very shouty people this does no ban abortion, what it does is allow states to decide its own rules not the federal government. So if the people who live in a state is really upset over what their state’s decision then they can make a very vocal decision in November. The thing is I personally believe every woman has a right to do what is right for her, but I also believe people do need to know what is happening not just what they are being told by people with a agenda.

Edited at 05:12 PM.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
No I will still go to America. Contrary to some news outlets and very shouty people this does no ban abortion, what it does is allow states to decide its own rules not the federal government. So if the people who live in a state is really upset over what their state’s decision then they can make a very vocal decision in November. The thing is I personally believe every woman has a right to do what is right for her, but I also believe people do need to know what is happening not just what they are being told by people with a agenda.
Actually some states can agree to ban abortions outright and will be doing so with immediate effect.
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

and with the gun arguments yesterday I am just pleased I didnt buy and move over there as I had planned . Happy to visit by the even happier I dont live there (and why so MANY of my friends in California want to move to UK !)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
No I will still go to America. Contrary to some news outlets and very shouty people this does no ban abortion, what it does is allow states to decide its own rules not the federal government.
Exactly. People really need to understand the difference between State and Federal Law. As tourists, if we have a strong opinion about how a particular State is politically and the local laws in that State, then we need to make a personal decision of whether to visit that State or not.

If this decision by the US Supreme Court is making you question your visit to Florida and Walt Disney World, you can choose to visit Disneyland California instead. You don't have to stop going to America, you can just visit States which align to your political views.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Disney have announced they will help women affected - just came through on my news feed .
Lots of places have bonkers laws but the only place I definitely would not give money to is China
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Exactly. People really need to understand the difference between State and Federal Law. As tourists, if we have a strong opinion about how a particular State is politically and the local laws in that State, then we need to make a personal decision of whether to visit that State or not.

If this decision by the US Supreme Court is making you question your visit to Florida and Walt Disney World, you can choose to visit Disneyland California instead. You don't have to stop going to America, you can just visit States which align to your political views.
Doesn’t really matter which state is doing what , if something matters that strongly to you then you’re probably not going to want to pump your money into their economy full stop, are you?