Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 6 Jun 16, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
chelsea1
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Paytollo

Just wondering if anyone has used the pay tolls app. You download this onto your iPhone and when you pick car up simply input registration and a card and tolls are automatically paid. Suppose works like a transponder but without having to get one. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has used this.
chelsea1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 16, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post

That sounds a very good idea would love to know if this works and how well it works.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 16, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Sounds great be interesting to see if anyone has used it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 16, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Wouldn't your iPhone have to be connected to the Internet though?

If not surely it won't link with the toll system? If you do have to be connected it will be a no no due to data costs surely.

Not by any stretch of the imagination am I an expert on phones so I may be talking nonsense. Again!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 16, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

I would extremely careful about this. It sounds like if you enter the registration then it works on a license plate recognition system. In which case which system takes preference as most of the car hire companies use a plate recognition system for tolls.

I would be worried that I'll still get a bill from the car hire company as well or it just won't work due to license plate ownership conflict.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 16, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
chelsea1

I have asked the company these questions and will post response
chelsea1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

There is a large section in their T&Cs about Florida,
The vehicle fitted transponder will automatically charge if you have paytollo you are required to switch it off.
Old 8 Jun 16, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Demonwar
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Wouldn't your iPhone have to be connected to the Internet though?

If not surely it won't link with the toll system? If you do have to be connected it will be a no no due to data costs surely.

Not by any stretch of the imagination am I an expert on phones so I may be talking nonsense. Again!
Apparently not. It uses the GPS, and it does say in the FAQ that even if your phone dies it will charge you through paytollo, suspect though this will be where you get the hirecar charge as well...maybe.

support.paytollo/customer...-cross-a-toll-

Seems interesting and I can turn off the transponder I guess but the problem is if it gets triggered by the plate, who wins paytollo or hirecar.
Demonwar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
chelsea1

As promised here is the response from Paytollo

In the event that you properly use the PayTollo platform; i.e. you add any vehicles you plan to drive to the app and have a valid credit card on file; then PayTollo would be as if you are paying cash except you get to use the express lanes. If for some reason you were to receive fee from the toll authority or some other third party we would ask that you let us know so that we can then assist you in sorting out the issue.

Regards,
PayTollo Support

The PayTollo Support Team
JUN 07, 2016 | 03:40PM PDT
John replied:
Thanks for the reply. I would be using in Florida. If using a rental can I be assured that the rental companies plate management toll system would not also be levied?

JUN 07, 2016 | 01:58PM PDT
PayTollo Support replied:

Thank you for your question.

The app does use mobile data in order to sign up, add your vehicle, and use the system. The amount of data is no more than your average app would use.

As for a rental car, this would be considered a temporary vehicle so please ensure that you appropriately select this type of vehicle when you are adding the car to the app. Also, be sure to select the appropriate end date of the temporary vehicle.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions and enjoy the express lanes with PayTollo!

Regards,
PayTollo Support
Old 8 Jun 16, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

There answer seems the oppersite to the special terms and conditions for Florida.
That states
Any vehicle fitted with a sunpass epass or leeway pass will be automatically charged to the transponder and this service should not be used.