Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 22, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
hardly
Excited about Disney

Once people kept their bookings as vouchers I think they were always going to ask for more money.
hardly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyWilson
Imagineer

WendyWilson's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
We've booked direct with virgin Heathrow to Manchester and will travel down the day before and stay over... flights from Manchester are so expensive this year!
This is exactly what we’re doing this July (school holidays). We fly BA MAN-LHR then direct Virgin LHR-MCO flights the next day. Direct flights back to LHR then BA back to MCR. we’ve got these for £2700 for 3 ad & 1 ch all in.

Otherwise direct flights from MAN were coming in at around £3,800 indirect
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

[QUOTE=cornishfrogboy;15295596]
Originally Posted by jengibbo View Post
That sounds an absolutely brilliant vacation.

If passing through Mobile, then the USS Alabama and all the aircraft, tanks and submarines at the memorial are truly excellent… and Pensacola Beach glorious.

CFB - have you been to Pensacola in the UK a summer holidays? Interested to hear what the weather is like compared to Orlando in summer!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
Is this Virgin Holidays? I didn't think Christmas fights had been released yet.
Yes Flydrive with them - I have in the past had decent deals that way. Went with them same time 2019 and I think it was £3500 all in- from Manchester. Now it’s £7850 from Heathrow! There is no way they will sell many at that price, I just don’t understand what they are playing at.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Yes - prices are a bit crazy!

Accommodation in the Keys is also eye wateringly expensive - far more than we had budgeted for. We could pre-covid have got 2x 2week foreign holidays (5*) for what this is going to cost us...
We are doing the Keys this time and the price of accommodation was certainly a shock! One of the hotels (for 3 nights in the Marriott at Marathon) is over £900!
I’ve just checked for the same dates and it’s gone up to £1500

But it’s for our silver wedding anniversary and also a belated 50th birthday for me so stuff the cost
lovinit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WendyWilson View Post
This is exactly what we’re doing this July (school holidays). We fly BA MAN-LHR then direct Virgin LHR-MCO flights the next day. Direct flights back to LHR then BA back to MCR. we’ve got these for £2700 for 3 ad & 1 ch all in.

Otherwise direct flights from MAN were coming in at around £3,800 indirect

That sounds like a really good price!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes Flydrive with them - I have in the past had decent deals that way. Went with them same time 2019 and I think it was £3500 all in- from Manchester. Now it’s £7850 from Heathrow! There is no way they will sell many at that price, I just don’t understand what they are playing at.
Why? Because there is a mug born every minute, that's why.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
Why? Because there is a mug born every minute, that's why.
Simple, theoretical maths.

I am holding a £600 credit note with Virgin that expires in December.

I look to fly BA and their price is £800 whilst Virgins offering is £1200.

I take the Virgin flight because by using my Credit voucher that I would otherwise have to throw in the bin, I will be paying £600 as opposed to £800 with BA! (But £1200 really because I have used my credit note that otherwise would have expired).

The mugs were those who took vouchers when they didn’t have to. Virgin would either give you an immediate credit voucher or unlawfully make you wait 120 days plus for your refund. Decent, well meaning people trusted Virgin and were happy to effectively give them a zero interest, unsecured loan for a couple of years. At that time, Virgin were a business that was on its knees.

They were mugs to believe that Virgin would not rip them off by devaluing those credit notes until they are next to worthless, whilst still guaranteeing your custom next time because you want to use those credit notes (and Virgin miles?)

Lesson.. never, ever place your trust in a business. I furthered my opinion on this right from day one and all the Virginistas laughed at and ridiculed me. I guess that they are not laughing now.

Me? I have had 3 cancellations and insisted on a refund after each, rather than credit. This meant that on every rebooking, I could research the market, rather than tie myself to just one provider whilst waving my credit note like a Willy Wonka golden ticket.

Sad but true. People have been ‘Dunn over’. I now stand by to be attacked by the devotees of the cult of Virgin that think ‘Cuddly Richard’ can still do no wrong.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:21 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

I found BA to be good in this regard, we had two flights booked with them and got a refund within 24hrs on both counts. I didn't like Virgin before this mess anyway but I know who I would rather book with.

We are about 25 miles to Man but haven't flown from there in years (even pre covid)
For May we got lhr-mco-mia 3a2c for £2913 inc a family suite at Cabana Bay and I've only paid £150 until the balance is due in May.
It worked out a load cheaper to do a custom trip and add on the hotel which I was going to book eslewhere anyway.

Definatley look at London and flying into somewhere different, make it part of the holiday. There are plenty of things to do outside of Disney/Universal.

We are going to Lanzarote in Feb half term and not even going from Man then, it was £1k to go from GLA even with a hotel before and after the flight.
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
I found BA to be good in this regard, we had two flights booked with them and got a refund within 24hrs on both counts. I didn't like Virgin before this mess anyway but I know who I would rather book with.

We are about 25 miles to Man but haven't flown from there in years (even pre covid)
For May we got lhr-mco-mia 3a2c for £2913 inc a family suite at Cabana Bay and I've only paid £150 until the balance is due in May.
It worked out a load cheaper to do a custom trip and add on the hotel which I was going to book eslewhere anyway.

Definatley look at London and flying into somewhere different, make it part of the holiday. There are plenty of things to do outside of Disney/Universal.

We are going to Lanzarote in Feb half term and not even going from Man then, it was £1k to go from GLA even with a hotel before and after the flight.
My refunds were with BAx 2 and AA x 1 for the longhauls.
I also had refunds from American Eagle (AA in disguise) for 2 internals and in addition, a credit note for one that took place without my being able to be there.
I also had a further refund x 1 for a Delta internal.

Fly Virgin in future? Your having a Giraffe!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List