Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 22, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Princesses 3 View Post
I tried that but my usually unromantic husband insisted you can only have the original or it’s not the same - hmmmm 🤔
About 4 years ago somehow or other my Wife crushed her Wedding Ring on her finger. Took an age to get it off and as she has tiny hands it was small anyhow and wearing badly as it's 22ct gold.

We went to a Mate of mine who had her ring melted down and also her Grandmothers which she had in her jewellery box. Both put together and sent to Birmingham to be hallmarked. Did a lovely job.

However as her Grandmothers ring was 18ct the Assay office classed the new one as 18ct as well.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Princesses 3 View Post
I’ve had the claws redone on mine more than once and last time cost about £200
Could you say roughly where you live, my sister lives in Essex and has been quoted over £600
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Wisteria
Earning My Ears

This happened to my engagement ring last year. To have all the claws repaired it cost approx £60 (white gold), although during repair the diamond was shattered (!) so I suspect I might have been given quite a bit of a discount... Since then two claws have broken again and the same high street jeweller quoted me another £65 to get them repaired due to 'wear and tear'. I disputed this as it wasn't covered by the repair warranty and luckily I've been given a gift voucher to use. Not an easy process though! Hopefully yours will be more straightforward.
Wisteria is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
Could you say roughly where you live, my sister lives in Essex and has been quoted over £600
😱 For example, a four claw setting (single stone) should only cost £70-100. If a setting is worn overall and not just the tips, I’ll replace a setting with a price in platinum around £150. (Platinum settings are much the same/marginally cheaper than 18ct white gold at the moment)
teallach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
This happened to my engagement ring last year. To have all the claws repaired it cost approx £60 (white gold), although during repair the diamond was shattered (!) so I suspect I might have been given quite a bit of a discount... Since then two claws have broken again and the same high street jeweller quoted me another £65 to get them repaired due to 'wear and tear'. I disputed this as it wasn't covered by the repair warranty and luckily I've been given a gift voucher to use. Not an easy process though! Hopefully yours will be more straightforward.
And they didn’t just replace the diamond for you?😱
I’m shocked at what some jewellers get away with!
teallach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
About 4 years ago somehow or other my Wife crushed her Wedding Ring on her finger. Took an age to get it off and as she has tiny hands it was small anyhow and wearing badly as it's 22ct gold.

We went to a Mate of mine who had her ring melted down and also her Grandmothers which she had in her jewellery box. Both put together and sent to Birmingham to be hallmarked. Did a lovely job.

However as her Grandmothers ring was 18ct the Assay office classed the new one as 18ct as well.

Unfortunately, the UK standards jump from 18ct to 22ct so if the metal tests between those standards, it can only be marked with the lowest one.
Also why it’s so important when making jewellery, that the correct carat of solder is used for the metal otherwise you risk ruining a piece😬
Old 23 Jan 22, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

I took my mam’s into a local shop a few weeks ago. The clasp hadn’t completely snapped, but had bent enough for the stone to fall out (which she also found). They fixed it and reshaped it as it had become a bit bent, and it cost £90
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I have nightmares about my stone falling out!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
I’m in north east and that’s from two local jewellers rather than big chains, one of which is more of a repair shop and sells mostly second hand
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Thank you
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List