Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 22, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by All-smiles View Post
Unfortunately we dont have a 3 contract currently but we were considering getting a sim for the USA originally. At the moment we are just looking for the best deal.
If it's just a temporary sim, the PAYG sims will not have the roaming charge. I am a PAYG customer after switching off contract in 2020, and it clearly states that I won't be affected once the charge comes in for contract customers in May.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We don’t rely on mobiles or iPads for everything, we just use them occasionally so use WiFi hotspots which are everywhere, inc parks . Just switch our phones to WiFi only.
Works for us, but of course others may need access 100% of the time.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
What's an eSim? I'm with Sky and have no idea what their charges would be for USA data.
If you have a newish iPhone is supports esims, so rather than put a physical sim in your phone you can download one.

iPhone allows you to run an esim for your data and still keep your phone number active on another line.

Have a look at truphone or Airalo for details.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
We have a EE SIM only contract that comes with worldwide roaming for free. Mine is £25 per month for unlimited data.
Us too; £24 pm on EE on a Sim only contract comes with 1 Smart Benefit; we chose Roam Abroad as ours; let’s us use our unlimited calls, texts & data for free in the US.

We used data a lot on our phones in Florida last month whilst out & about; didn’t cost a penny.

Edited at 11:04 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by swintonowl View Post
If you have a newish iPhone is supports esims, so rather than put a physical sim in your phone you can download one.

iPhone allows you to run an esim for your data and still keep your phone number active on another line.

Have a look at truphone or Airalo for details.
Thank you. Never knew this technology existed. Just found out my Google Pixel supports this so I'll be getting an eSim for my next trip 🙂
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Thank you. Never knew this technology existed. Just found out my Google Pixel supports this so I'll be getting an eSim for my next trip 🙂
Make sure their app supports Android. Annoyingly some of the providers only have iPhone apps available.

Love my Pixel.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Embraer
Excited about Disney

Very useful info. My wife and I use EE and both of us have the international add-on free. Our son however we have on Sky who as far as I can see don’t have a similar option but charge £6 per day to roam in the US! Can’t think he’ll need too much data for 14 days considering the wi-fi saturation, it’ll be more for our peace of mind when we give our 15 year old a bit of freedom in the various parks
Offsite 5 times 76-05, POR 06, DVC since 07, SSR 07, BWV & DCL Wonder 4night 08, PR 3night & DCL Magic 7night W. Carib & SSR 3night 09, DLP NB 10, Treehouse 11, DLP NB 12, Treehouse & DCL Fantasy 7night E. Carib & BLT 13, BWV 15, SSR 16, Treehouse 19 & 22, Treehouse again 24
Embraer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1208266
mike4scuba is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Stokieuk View Post
If you have a modern phone then one of the better options is to get an eSim from airalo

Worked very well for us in Dec 👍
we've used esims during the last 2 weeks - on one iphone and one android. Both worked really well and had no issues. I think they were only £17 each and were plenty for my adult kids. I only used free wifi, but we needed their data when offsite and ordering Ubers.

I had never heard of esim's before reading about them on the Dibb. there's a list of which type of phones support them. We set it up whilst still in the UK.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I just get a PAYG 3 sim card, pay £10 for a month and that gives you unlimited calls and texts and 12Gb data (which is the most you can get when roaming anyway)
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List