Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 22, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Watching a court cAse in public gallery

Has anyone done this and is there a particular process we have to go through? DD is interested in watching a case but I'm not sure where to begin!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I did this years ago and there was no procedure as such…..you just turn up at the courthouse and choose a court to sit in the public gallery.

These days you will have to go through a metal detector but apart from that it’s quite straightforward.
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rozzyb2011
VIP Dibber

Rozzyb2011's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I used to regularly to court with my job pre covid and it is normal for spectators to be watching. When you enter the court the listings will be on the wall and you can choose what type of hearing you want to sit in on. I've seen people pulling out packed lunches and munching away whilst watching proceedings. You aren't obligated to stay once proceedings get under way, just get up and leave quietly. I'd recommended immigration courts as you get lots of different cases and hear very weird and wonderful claims.

2016: Clarion Inn, Lake Buena Vista
2018: POR & Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2022: Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2025: Dibb villa "Villa4Orlando" Hunters Creek
Rozzyb2011 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gforce_iom View Post
I did this years ago and there was no procedure as such…..you just turn up at the courthouse and choose a court to sit in the public gallery.

These days you will have to go through a metal detector but apart from that it’s quite straightforward.
Thank you - it's sounds like I'm over thinking it then 🙂
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Not sure public galleries are currently open due to covid
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have spent many hundreds of hours in Courts and they are public in nature unless the Presiding Judge has a compelling reason to go ‘in Camera’.. a quick ‘Google’ will explain likely reasons.. and there are several.

You simply roll up, go through Security, look at the listings sheet and take your pick (provided there is room).

A couple of top tips…
First and foremost, Judges regard themselves as ‘living Gods’.
Go to the toilet before you enter.
Under no circumstances talk when the judge is in the Court.
If you have to leave whilst the Court is in session, walk quietly to the door, turn and face the Judge with heels together, out of Courtesy…. then Leave.
Don’t do the bowing stuff that you see Officers, Court Workers, Legal types etc doing. It is not expected of you, but is of them and can look silly. It takes practice!
I would be wary of entering any Court as a member of the public, if the Judge is sitting. WaIt till he rises and has left..

Crown Courts are amazing, interesting places. An I feel sure you will have a great time. I was perhaps unusual in that I actually enjoyed my days in Court, was extremely respectful of the rules and made sure that I was as prepared as humanly possible. I had a very good DS and DI and served at a period when I was given ample time to prepare my cases/files.
Sadly, I am told by former colleagues that this no longer the accepted norm.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:53 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Went to aCrown Court years ago as part of a Law course, very interesting. Don’t remember any restrictions
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

In addition to all the above, I would also just be mindful of who else may be in the gallery with you,(depending on how long you anticipate on being there through a trial) particularly as is it comes the time of verdict.

I was on jury duty for quite a harrowing murder of a young girl, all the family and friends were in the public gallery every day for the 5 weeks, it was bad enough for us a jury returning the verdict and I cant begin to imagine how emotionally draining and harrowing it would have been for the family, so being in the same room as them and experiencing this with with them, may also have an emotional impact on you.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Is there an age limit on sitting in the public gallery? My kids are 15 and 12 and I think it’s something they’d find interesting to see. Both are sensible and I’d have no concerns they’d behave but wondering if particularly the 12 year old is too young? (And obviously case dependant not to traumatise them).

Edit google tells me you need to be over 14 to sit in public gallery.

Edited at 08:59 AM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Just a note that only Crown and Magistrates courts have public galleries and it might be worth finding out if it is open at the court you would like to go to to save a wasted journey.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List