Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I think the license of these sorts of drugs has been reviewed - for children they are not licensed for phobia or anxiety. The doctor will be following guidelines, very few will prescribe off license now.

However, if your child was suffering nightmares and/or sleepwalking it would be within the terms of the license.

No one can tell you it is OK to use medicines beyond their use by date as with some medicines the effectiveness is reduced, but in some it can be enhanced which is not always a good thing, and in some the effects can be harmful.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I asked her in the phone what she can give she said nothing, my dd has tried sickness bands, meds and nothing worked. Last year was the best flight in ages, I told her how my dd is on a flight and she couldn’t care less, I hardly think giving two diazepam is going to make her into a junkie! I really don’t know what to do she said there’s nothing she can do apart from long term antidepressants which is rubbish. My dd is fine in everyday life!
I realise that Diazepam is a very addictive drug but to suggest she should go on long term antidepressants instead is pretty shocking to be honest!

Like I said even 1x2mg tablet could be enough to help and give your dd the confidence to go on the flight. If they limit them to just enough for the flight then it shouldn’t be an issue. Compared to long term antidepressants!

I would be making an appt to see a different GP.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
benjosam
Very Serious Dibber

benjosam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My GP has a sign up in the waiting room saying they will no longer be able to prescribe diazepam for flights. Maybe this is something that is now nationwide. Hope you manage to get something sorted.
2016 - Cabana Bay
benjosam is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Is a Disney forum the best place to ask "Should I give my daughter (child?) out of date tranquilizers?"
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I phoned up to make an appointment and they have none! The dr who prescribed my dd diazepam last year is phoning me tomorrow at 2:30pm, fingers crossed! 🙏🤞It means a relaxed flight or a stressed flight, dd was upset in the airport last year and she said don’t bring me away anymore. I got her to take a tablet she sat watching movies and even ate some food. It was like a miracle
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Is a Disney forum the best place to ask "Should I give my daughter (child?) out of date tranquilizers?"
She’s 17 so hardly a child, seriously you’re offended by a question about holidays and medicine. I’m stressed enough without un helpful people!
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Originally Posted by benjosam View Post
My GP has a sign up in the waiting room saying they will no longer be able to prescribe diazepam for flights. Maybe this is something that is now nationwide. Hope you manage to get something sorted.
Oh nooooooo I have these too just for flights, but I pay for the prescription as it is classed as a private prescription

To the OP hope you get something sorted tomorrow, fingers crossed for you xx
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Definitely do not use out of date medications, there could be severe adverse effects, the dates are there for a reason. I say this as an analytical chemist who performs testing schedules for medication expiry dates.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
She’s 17 so hardly a child, seriously you’re offended by a question about holidays and medicine. I’m stressed enough without un helpful people!
Good luck with your appointment- I would amazed if they don’t give you a couple of tablets for the flights - my GP surgery gave me some for sleep but I had to have a face to face chat first so cautious but understandable. I am sure your GP will help 👍
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

"Flight anxiety does not come under the remit of General Medical Services as defined in the GP contract and so we are not obliged to prescribe for this.
Patients who still wish to take benzodiazepines for flight anxiety are advised to consult with a private GP or travel clinic"

On our doctor's webpage.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List