Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Oh that’s a shame as I know how much Diazepam can help with flight anxiety. Have you asked for low dose 2mg? If they only prescribed a dozen of them it would help. They often give 5mg and that can knock you out but 2mg is low enough not to do that. If they won’t I think the out of date ones should be ok I suppose it depends how out of date they are as they become less effective. DH has used out of date ones and they still worked ok.

Kat
I wanted two 2mg tablets that’s all, hopefully tomorrow the gp will be more reasonable!
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Thank you everyone for helpful advice, I will go private if I have to!
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Good luck with your appointment- I would amazed if they don’t give you a couple of tablets for the flights - my GP surgery gave me some for sleep but I had to have a face to face chat first so cautious but understandable. I am sure your GP will help 👍
Than you, I was actually really worried about telling dd!
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I phoned up to make an appointment and they have none! The dr who prescribed my dd diazepam last year is phoning me tomorrow at 2:30pm, fingers crossed! 🙏🤞It means a relaxed flight or a stressed flight, dd was upset in the airport last year and she said don’t bring me away anymore. I got her to take a tablet she sat watching movies and even ate some food. It was like a miracle
I emphasise as my youngest really struggles with flight related anxiety to the point where he begins to hyperventilate.

It’s too late now for your DD but we are looking at booking him on a fear of flying course before our next holiday.

If the Dr won’t prescribe anything, we gave our son Kwells which were suggested to us by the pharmacist. They are officially travel sickness medication but they did seem to take the edge off for him. Might have been a placebo effect but he fell asleep before we even took off, woke up 3 hours later and asked if we were ever going to take off!

We’ve also tried rescue remedy before but that didn’t help for him.

Fingers crossed the GP can help and you all manage to have a relaxed flight.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post

I think you'll be okay with a visit to the surgery. In your shoes, I would go privately too if I had to.

Good luck.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Has your dd tried Calms before? They can sometimes help with stress and are all natural. Please don't take this the wrong way as I am not at all suggesting that it is psychosomatic but if you were to give her a Calms and tell her it was 'prescribed by the doctor' it may have a placebo effect.
I don't usually advocate lying to kids but if the doctor says a flat out no then it may just help, her thinking she has something to keep her calm.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

‘long term antidepressants’ are not so terrible. I’m on 5mg amitryptaline per day. I was initially prescribed it for shingles pain. However amongst the many ‘side effects’ it has is to prevent migraine pain, overcome mild anxiety and help sleep. It isn’t addictive and I start and stop it as needed. It takes about 2-4 weeks to see the effect though.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
Thank you everyone for helpful advice, I will go private if I have to!
As she's seventeen it's her who legally makes the medical decisions (medical age for consent is 16) so make sure she goes with you. Legally she's in the driving seat and needs to be the one asking for the prescription.
Long term (obviously too late for this trip) would hypnotism be worth a shot ?

Edited at 01:21 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
‘long term antidepressants’ are not so terrible. I’m on 5mg amitryptaline per day. I was initially prescribed it for shingles pain. However amongst the many ‘side effects’ it has is to prevent migraine pain, overcome mild anxiety and help sleep. It isn’t addictive and I start and stop it as needed. It takes about 2-4 weeks to see the effect though.
There’s nothing wrong with ADs in the right circumstances but to give them to someone who is ok in everyday life. Mild anxiety before exams etc but vomiting on flights from about 10 upwards there and back is a nightmare.
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
As she's seventeen it's her who legally makes the medical decisions (medical age for consent is 16) so make sure she goes with you. Legally she's in the driving seat and needs to be the one asking for the prescription.
Long term (obviously too late for this trip) would hypnotism be worth a shot ?
She can go to the drs on her own, but she wants me!