Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 3 Aug 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
GWRW1964
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile Universal Studios Express Passes

Hi everyone. First post so be gentle lol.

We (myself, wife and 2 girls - 8 and 6) are heading to Florida next spring (early/mid May). We have booked flights and accommodation (villa) but not got park tix yet. We've been to Disney on 3 occasions but never been to Universal.

We are looking to do Universal but the express pass system worries us a little as I'm not sure we fully understand it.

Am I right in saying these passes are in the £80 region per day, per park, per person? That seems a bit much given that the FP system at Disney is free. So, I have some questions...

1. Have I got that price more or less correct?

2. What are the crowds/queues like in May generally? Maybe we don't really need EPs at that time of year?

Thanks in advance,

G
GWRW1964 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi and welcome

As there are four of you you might find it cheaper to book a night at one of the universal deluxe hotels (Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay, Hard Rock). 1 night would get you 2 days worth of fast passes, you can go and check in at 7am and get your fast passes straight away which is your room key. Plus it is a really nice place to stay, easy to go back to your room if you want to get changed after the water rides etc.

In May I’d say it might be more than that as US schools start to break up then.

Better than Disney as you don’t have to conform to times, you just go to the ride express queue and walk up.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

They will vary at peak times and whether you want it for 1 or 2 parks.

There are some which allow just once per ride and others that give unlimited rides.

It may work out cheaper to do 1 night at one ipod the premier hotels as this includes Express passes for 2 days

May can be busy
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mattyped
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We were there in june during their school holidays got portofino room for 1 night for 5 people for $411.
mattyped is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by GWRW1964 View Post
Hi everyone. First post so be gentle lol.

We (myself, wife and 2 girls - 8 and 6) are heading to Florida next spring (early/mid May). We have booked flights and accommodation (villa) but not got park tix yet. We've been to Disney on 3 occasions but never been to Universal.

We are looking to do Universal but the express pass system worries us a little as I'm not sure we fully understand it.

Am I right in saying these passes are in the £80 region per day, per park, per person? That seems a bit much given that the FP system at Disney is free. So, I have some questions...

1. Have I got that price more or less correct?

2. What are the crowds/queues like in May generally? Maybe we don't really need EPs at that time of year?

Thanks in advance,

G
Universal have a virtual queue system on the later additions that allow you to get the equivalent to a fast pass on the day. This seems to be the way they are going. Jummy Fallon and Fast and furious use this, but to be honest these rides have short queues anyway (are they that bad or does the virtual queue work? ).

IMHO the queues at Univeral are not as bad as Disney. If you go early in the morning for Disney the queues always still seem long, but in Universal you can often get on lots of rides with short waits, which makes it more enjoyable (Minnions always seems to have long waits. even this has improved this year).
So if no express pass get inside for park opening. Obviously express passes are very nice, but without you can get a lot more done in a day than a Disney Park IMHO.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
GWRW1964
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks everyone. This is really useful. Sounds like we go for a combination of booking a night at one of the Universal hotels and getting in early on days we don't have EPs.

Thanks again,

G x
GWRW1964 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post

I have been twice in May and would definitely want express passes, they are very expensive to buy as you have found, so we always stay at an onsite hotel.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
diamondgal
VIP Dibber

Sorry to jump on this post but...
If you booked an overnight stay is there a particular day of the week you recommend for lower crowds. I was going to avoid the weekend, but was thinking of booking a Monday or Tuesday night stay. What are your thoughts?

Thank you 😊
diamondgal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by diamondgal View Post
Sorry to jump on this post but...
If you booked an overnight stay is there a particular day of the week you recommend for lower crowds. I was going to avoid the weekend, but was thinking of booking a Monday or Tuesday night stay. What are your thoughts?

Thank you 😊
Have a look on the busy day guide, it is just guide mind so don't take it as gospel. Avoiding weekends is definitely a good start.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would definitely recommend Express passes for May. If you decide against this, then the quieter days are Sunday and Monday. Enjoy!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List