Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
TBH, I am not surprised it was not given especially over the phone. Just because a GP prescribed it one year does not mean they will prescribe it the following. I also remember reading that many surgeries will no longer prescribe tranquillisers on the NHS for Holiday purposes also if there is an emergency if you are on diazepam your reactions will be slow.

I hope you can get something sorted but 30 plus years nursing tells me the GP is acting in the 17year olds best interests
Have a great holiday whatever the outcome

Edited
Do not give her a placebo. That’s a complete breakdown of trust, after all shes 17 adult and able to make decisions if it doesn’t work what are you going to tell her that next time you’ll increase the dose
Not sure how giving a placebo is a complete breakdown of trust when they are used in drugs trials all the time.
If it were my daughter and the choice was giving her something completely harmless that made her feel better and happy and risking a 'complete breakdown of trust' or seeing her totally distraught and sick for hours then I know which I would choose.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Not sure how giving a placebo is a complete breakdown of trust when they are used in drugs trials all the time.
If it were my daughter and the choice was giving her something completely harmless that made her feel better and happy and risking a 'complete breakdown of trust' or seeing her totally distraught and sick for hours then I know which I would choose.

It is a breakdown of trust when that person, in this case the OP daughter, is trusting mum to give her her the correct medication.

Clinical trials are completely different, the person entering the trial signs up to the fact that they may get the real drug or may get the placebo, they don't know what they get in the trial but are aware that potentially it could not be the real drug.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My daughters both had periods due during our Florida holiday and I wanted to get them the medication to delay them. However I thought my nhs gp would probably refuse since it was a choice and so I went to a private gp. Obviously you then pay for the prescription but it was worth it. Hope you get it sorted.
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Themousefamily View Post
My daughters both had periods due during our Florida holiday and I wanted to get them the medication to delay them. However I thought my nhs gp would probably refuse since it was a choice and so I went to a private gp. Obviously you then pay for the prescription but it was worth it. Hope you get it sorted.
Did they ask you why you didn’t get your normal Gp to prescribe them?
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I can't offer advice, but when I asked my GP for an extra supply of mens blue tablets he refused (tablets as per the advert when the man is dancing around because he is one of 4 million men who has this problem and his tablet obviously worked for him).

I am willing to make a CD for you daughter with me singing various songs including the bee gees, Barbra Streisand and les mis?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Themousefamily View Post
Was it Norethisterone you got for temporarily stopping periods? You can now buy these from Superdrug online.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
It is a breakdown of trust when that person, in this case the OP daughter, is trusting mum to give her her the correct medication.

Clinical trials are completely different, the person entering the trial signs up to the fact that they may get the real drug or may get the placebo, they don't know what they get in the trial but are aware that potentially it could not be the real drug.
And if the doctor refuses the correct medication (which he already has) then the alternative to leave the poor girl in complete distress, anxious and vomiting?
Interestingly I have just asked my daughter (around the same age as the OP's) what she would rather me do. Her answer was she would rather me tell her anything than let her get in a state. She said she trusted me to do what I thought best for her. I guess we all parent in different ways and will have to agree to disagree on this one.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

And if the doctor refuses the correct medication (which he already has) then the alternative to leave the poor girl in complete distress, anxious and vomiting?
Interestingly I have just asked my daughter (around the same age as the OP's) what she would rather me do. Her answer was she would rather me tell her anything than let her get in a state. She said she trusted me to do what I thought best for her. I guess we all parent in different ways and will have to agree to disagree on this one.
It's not really about agreeing or disagreeing and yes everyone should do whats right, unfortunately as an ex nurse I have to go on what is ethically right and the comments initially I made was about giving alternative medication and the danger in this, but the problem with a placebo is that you could be in exactly the same position anyway, you are assuming that taking a placebo is going to work but what if it doesn't then what do you do?

Edited at 05:12 PM.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
It's not really about agreeing or disagreeing and yes everyone should do whats right, unfortunately as an ex nurse I have to go on what is ethically right and the comments initially I made was about giving alternative medication and the danger in this, but the problem with a placebo is that you could be in exactly the same position anyway, you are assuming that taking a placebo is going to work but what if it doesn't then what do you do?
As a parent I am going on what I feel is ethically right for my children, and in the position that the doctor would not prescribe then I would take the chance of a placebo working. If it works, great, in it doesn't then you are just in the same position as you would be without anything to help.
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

As a parent I am going on what I feel is ethically right for my children, and in the position that the doctor would not prescribe then I would take the chance of a placebo working. If it works, great, in it doesn't then you are just in the same position as you would be without anything to help.
I am the placebo statement stater.
As having a daughter who suffered with anxiety I know a little white lie never hurts.
She was never on medication but it’s the same principle!

For example, she used to freak out at going to school, I would tell her we were going for a meeting with the teacher and I never had any intentions of her returning home, but she would have not left the house if I said she was going to school.

Once there with friends she was fine, the alternative was her to not go to school and I was not allowing that.

We all have our own opinion but I would be giving her a vitamin etc.

The sickness is from her anxiety, she thinks the pill will make her feel better, she will feel better after taking any pill. In my experience.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List