Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jan 17, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Finally took the Disney leap, could anyone help with hotel and food :)

Hi Everyone,

been a lurker for many years dreaming of a trip to Disney (only been waiting 30 years to go!) anyway as a reward for my eldest we have finally booked to take him and his sister this August.

We have watched more youtube walkthroughs and read more blogs than I can remember and have kind of settled on the Sheraton Vistana Resort. We need at least 2 bedrooms as Son will be 16 and daughter 9 so though they are happy to share a room it def needs to be seperate beds and as much as he loves us DS does not want to sleep in a room with his mum So the Sheraton seemed to tick our boxes. Most of the reveiws seem to be good but is there any reason to look elsewhere? are we close to shops and restaurants? is the '9 miles from Disney' actually really 29 miles cos they don't work out the road route but go by the crow flies?

My second question is, my lad is a coeliac so needs to eat Gluten free, dinners are pretty much ok as everywhere seems to serve some sort of meat of fish but what about lunches? will I struggle to find a G/F sandwich? do i need to take bread and stuff with me for him (again this is why we looked at the Sheraton as we would get a kitchen so I could make him sandwiches and take them with me) any Coeliacs who have been and can recommend some decent not hugely pricey places we could take him where his choices arn't chicken and some icecream for pudding

(Sorry for the essay, im a serious worrier and already scared out of my wits that i've booked my flights, insurance and Disney tix but nowt else!)
jakesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Can't help with the hotel, but foodwise, I've found Disney in particular brilliant at catering to any dietary needs. I have a milk allergy which went haywire one year before I went (I drink milk anyway, just deal with the rashes, but this year it was mental!) and Disney were great at providing alternatives.

I also saw a few Gluten Free options when in Walmart.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Oh thank you! Walmart added to my list of shops to visit
jakesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Check out the allergy free mouse you will find it so easy to eat out anywhere the cater for gluten fee so much better than here and also check out the supermarkets the range is so much bigger and the bakery at DisneySprings has great gluten free cakes
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much Gryff! off to search Allergy free mouse :o never took my lad further than spain before so his food is probably me biggest fear for this holiday!
Old 6 Jan 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

If you are driving I would consider hiring a villa - you'll get 3 or more bedrooms, full blown kitchen and a private pool if you wanted, possibly for less money than resort you mention. Even if you aren't driving you can taxi - many of the villa areas are literally 4-5 miles away.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Hi Babymint, I keep swaying between a hotel and a Villa (really like the thought of our own pool!) we are definitely having a car, i've just never stayed in a villa on holiday, always stayed in a hotel and am a bit terrified of getting it wrong and ending up in a horrid villa in the middle of nowhere lol. I did edge into the Villa rental part of this site and quickly got overwhelmed! We're going on 25th August for 2 weeks so just have no idea what kind of price I should be paying for that time of year :/

Hi Matt, thank you for the reply as that really puts my mind at rest, i've got so used to british restaurants telling me 'its ok, it doesn't contain milk' i've developed a panic every time we take him somewhere new!
Old 7 Jan 17, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jakesmum View Post
Hi Matt, thank you for the reply as that really puts my mind at rest, i've got so used to british restaurants telling me 'its ok, it doesn't contain milk' i've developed a panic every time we take him somewhere new!

no probs, everytime we have overheard / seen chefs deal with coeliac its been impressive

and as i said, the chef really seem happy with dealing with coeliac's. more so than Veggies
Old 6 Jan 17, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I find Publix is better for gluten free stuff most restaurants on and off site cater well just ask
I eat mostly gluten free by choice and eat well in the US eating out here can be a right pain
At times much more geared up in the us
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post

disney are great with GF stuff, we are Veggies and when we explain we dont eat meat, we automatically have a Allergy and the chef comes out to speak to us, they normally ask are we coeliac, no is the answer, just dont eat meat of fish

they always say " thats a shame, as i can do this and that for a coeliac "