Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Apr 02, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Saturday 9th February 2002 – Day 8 - "Do Do Do the Funky Gibbon"

Link to Back to the Future Trip Pre Trip!

Plan: AK,
MK FITS/SM

Hours: AK 9-5
MK 9-8

Food: Breakfast:
Lunch: Tusker House/Rainforest Cafe
Dinner: Pepper Market

Notes/Budget: JJP 4pm
SM 7pm
FIS 8pm

Actual:
Our first Disney Day Proper! Buses are a novelty for us, so we actually enjoy the morning ritual of waiting for a bus, applying suncream (eventhough it’s cool and overcast) and guessing the destination on the next one! We don’t kill ourselves, but were at AK for 9.10am. In some ways the first rush has cleared and the queues for security were fine.

A Fastpass for Kilamanjaro Safari was first on the loose agenda, although at a pace to take in all the exotic themeing, just how we remembered it! We reconvened with the gorillas scratching their armpits, no not me, and enjoyed our walk through the Pangani Forest Trail. We caught our Safari truck, and, like last year, were sat at the back, we like the bumps, mind the false teeth and toupees coming unstuck! The ride was better than I remembered, the driver was excellent and his oral bantering enhanced the trip! _We saw lots of animals and took lots of photos, easier said than done! _No one was fed to the lions (now that would make an exciting Disney Diversion).

Steve was ushering us off to It’s Tough To Be A Bug (ITTBAB) in the roots of The Tree of life, this is the best 3D show at Disney. It took some persuading to get Sally to come in, but no glasses and sitting cross legged did the trick. I was worried that the “seen it, done it” mentality would make this year’s trip not as good as last year, which is true to some extent. However, it is amazing how much I’d forgotten of the detail, and how much detail you miss the first time round. Suffice to say, the guests exiting first took us by surprise. Hilarious. We are exercising the new digital camera, and took lots of pictures of the tree itself, I love the carvings.

After a bit of persuasion I get everyone over for the 1am Tarzan Rocks Show. A lot of primping and preening of muscles, a lot of fun and good music. Still rates lower than Lion King for spectacle though. Dinosaur next, swapping Sally and a 15 minute queue. The park seems busier than last time too, and there are very few show times. We spent the waiting time hunting for pressed pennies, which is our “must do” activity, even if each child has several each day it doesn’t break the bank. They each decided on different themes and spend ages rearranging their wallet contents in the queues. I found Dinosaur too jolty this year, and it broke down so we saw some of the “secrets”.

We walked out through the new Chester and Hester area, the “Dumbo” ride was very boring, at least the Magic Carpets in Magic Kingdom have lots of theming. Our favourite “Dumbo” ride remains as 1 fish 2 fish, don’t you just love that kitsch! The new coaster was under construction (Primeval Whirl) but the fairground stall theming of the area just seemed really tacky. We didn’t look at the games as I didn’t want to be hassled for money for side-shows, of course the children wanted a go at winning soft cuddly toys. I don’t know if you have to pay or not?

Since I am being so nice and “hands off” in commando tactics this year, we now have to walk back to Tusker House for our lunch, which was excellent for counter service. Steve had half a chicken, and the girls and I shared wraps, that came with vegetable crisps. They were delicious, and filling and the meal came to $32. It is lovely and peaceful sitting at the tables out the back.

Our timing was slightly out for the Lion King Show, as we expect to get to a show 10 minutes before and get in, but the 2pm show was the last one of the day, and once you were in the Camp Minnie Mickey cul de sac you couldn’t get out! Talk about swimming against the current, people aren’t supposed to be here on mass until next weekend! A bit of deliberation, and off to Kali River Rapids, deliberating over the air temperature not the ride, we love the ride! It was not too busy, surprise surprise, but the good old AK ponchos were dug out of the rucksack and pressed into duty. They are looking battered now! We enjoyed getting wet twice, and as the sun was trying to shine we hopped on a bus and back for the traditional afternoon swim. Our room was so close to the pool and bus stop this is not too time consuming. We were very disappointed that housekeeping don’t do anything with the children’s toys this trip, just neatly folded towels for executives! Kate had decided to spend her money on a trendy hair wrap, the price of which make me gulp, but the stand was near to closing. For days we then played the “chase the hair wrap stands” game. Like the proverbial No 49 bus, when you want one ………….

After a quick swim and boiling of lobsters in the hot tub, I disown my family, they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get changed for Spectromagic and Fantasy in the Sky. So I dragged them and kicked them, and we walked through a heaving Magic Kingdom and found ourselves a spot for the parade just over the bridge into Frontierland. Perfect view, and spent ¾ of an hour chatting to some lovely Americans who had just retired and were spending 6 weeks at Fort Wilderness in their camper van. The parade came down Main Street so we had a clear view of the vehicles as they came towards us. Good parade, but I couldn’t remember how different it was to the Electrical Parade last year!

We then tried for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, as we so wanted to do it in the dark. A huge 45 minute queue, so we skipped and hopped on the railroad to get back to the entrance, as we are hungry and can see the fireworks any night. We also have a 9pm date with Kath (NativeTexan) back at Coronado Springs. We find that the train only goes as far as Toontown when the fireworks are being prepared, gggrrrrr. A long slog back and the fireworks start as we get on the bus, so quite a good view.

We went straight into the Pepper Market Food Court at 8.30. This is appealing in looks, but as others have said the system is a bit fiddle and causes queues. Anyway, Steve and I shared a double choice Chinese, Kate a chicken sandwich and the younger two children’s pizzas (with fruit and cookie). That all came to $41, which is higher than the other food courts but you do pay a 10% service charge (for what?) The surroundings are pleasant though.

We waited a while (well only 15 minutes) for Kath, but as she seemed to be delayed we headed back to our room. The last yomp of the day, and I would definitely request Cabana Block 9b next time! Especially as ours was a cool, wet trip!

Laura is suffering with her cold, and the weather forecast is getting worse again.

Rang Kath, she had got snarled up in lluminations after her Biergarten meal and was apologising for Texas! Poor Kath, we are not that thrilling to meet! A date for 8pm same place was rearranged for tomorrow night!

Tomorrow: EPCOT and lunch at Biergarten, and meeting Kath hopefully!

Day 9

Edited at 08:20 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 02, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Ooh goodie,  another installment.  .

sounds like a good day - I know what you mean about wondering if it will be as good 2nd time around, but I'm hoping that it will take the pressure off to do Everything, and mean we can take in the details.

Must remember to look at that tree more closely,  we went flying past it last time.

Bev
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 02, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
At last Fiona!!!

And it was worth the wait thanks! . I love the carvings on the tree and spend ages looking at them before being dragged off by family .  Tusker House sounds nice, we've not done that one.Sounds like you had a very full day! .
Old 10 Apr 02, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

I think AK really needs to be done slowly - there's so much theming to enjoy!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 02, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Mmmm yes, love those wraps at Tusker house.

I love the Tree of life and the gardens around it. Very relaxing to just wander around it.
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List