Notices

Old 12 Dec 18, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
sallybunny
Excited about Disney

Boston History Tour October 2018: Day 6

Harvard Day. This was the day when Pete decided he wants to study at Harvard! It's good to have something big to aim for. We never really got the hang of US time so it was another start, but we wanted to make sure we got a place on one of the student tours. This is a free tour given by students and is well worth the effort to get tickets. Go to the main Student Centre and pick them up from the front desk.

Tickets in hand, we had 1.5 hours to kill so we headed for the Harvard Book Store for a mooch. We spent most of our time in the basement with the 2nd hand and remainder books and got a few bargains down there. And of course a tote bag!
Then it was onto the Harvard shop for a hoodie for Pete. It's his most worn hoodie now and only off his back when it needs washing. Doug picked up a bear, called Fluffy.

I was in need of coffee so made the boys go to Starbucks. They're not fans of queueing for something not for them so it's always a tiny bit eventful, but worth it. Double shot latte in hand we headed into Harvard Square and found some sun to sit in.

We still had a bit of time so went to see John Harvard and to touch his foot for luck. We later found out that this isn't actually John Harvard, it's someone else sitting in for him as no one knows what he looks like.

We headed back to the student centre for the start of the tour and it's was so worth the wait! I would highly recommend doing this. It takes in all the main sites of the university and gives a full history of the buildings and site. As it's student led we also found out a lot about student life and studying at Harvard. Pete asked a LOT of questions so he's fully prepared now. If you go in 10 years time, look out for him!

We went inside a couple of buildings like the Annamar Building and Widener Library, which I wouldn't have done on my own. I didn't realise that the majority of buildings in the square are student residences. Very different to my experiences at Cardiff.

It was the Mexican Border Cafe for lunch. Doug's a big fan of Mexican food (especially nachos). This place was great and a whole $30 inc tip for the three of us to be well fed.

Unlimited nachos with lemonade and beer to start.

Cheese quesadilla, pulled chicken tortilla, guacamole, chunky fresh salsa and refried beans. It was so very good!
We headed back to the apartment for a rest this afternoon before going into JP for a proper look around as we still hadn't managed to see much of it!

We ended up at JP Licks for ice cream. I had apple pie (vanilla with apple pieces, Graham crackers and warm caramel sauce) and the boys had vanilla with a variety of toppings. It's very very good ice cream!

And we finished off the day in another playground. There are playgrounds on every corner of JP making it a great place to stay with kids. Plus everything is close and designed around families, it made it really easy to get around. I would definitely say to stay in JP and will be going back again.

Old 12 Dec 18, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by sallybunny - 12 Dec 18 6:09 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List