Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Apr 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Expert help required for Virgin Reward Seats

Hello,

We are planning our next WDW trip for April/May 2023 (non peak season). After an awful flight home last time I vowed that our next trip would be flying Upper.

We are a bit late to the party when it comes to Virgin Flying Club points and have now got the plus card.

I have calculated that we will have about 75,000 points by the time we can book our flights next June/July but for it to be an easy transaction we need 95,000 plus. We will easily qualify for a companion seat before we need to book. We are only Red members at the moment.

My options are:

Pay cash for one Upper Class seat, get a companion seat and use 47,500 to upgrade the companion seat to Upper

Buy 2 premium seats, use the companion seat for an upgrade to Upper for one and use 47,500 points to upgrade the other

or just try really really hard to try and get the extra points to get to 95,000 which would mean we could buy one premium seat, use 47,500 to upgrade to Upper and 47,500 to upgrade the companion seat to Upper.

We don't mind carrying forward any points as have Vegas planned for 2025!

Have I worked that out correctly and could anyone advise which is the best option.

Thanks
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

not sure which cards you've had but American Express currently have offers on their cards. For example the gold card has a bonus of 32,000 points if you spend £3000 in 3 months, it can be easy to do depending on what you have on and get family to assist. There are some rules though that you can't of had another amex card in the last 2 years (I think thats what it is). That would almost get you what you wanted in one go?
Old 20 Apr 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
not sure which cards you've had but American Express currently have offers on their cards. For example the gold card has a bonus of 32,000 points if you spend £3000 in 3 months, it can be easy to do depending on what you have on and get family to assist. There are some rules though that you can't of had another amex card in the last 2 years (I think thats what it is). That would almost get you what you wanted in one go?
We’ve already committed to Virgin and their card as I already have 32,000 points but thank you for your tip x

ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
spoonarama
Getting Excited

Really I think you won't be able to work out the best option till you've got the pricing. It will all come down to the price difference between premium and UC on your chosen flights, as that difference can vary wildly. If the premium seats are at a decent price, booking them and using points to upgrade will be best. But if the premium price is high, then booking UC and getting the companion isn't a bad shout. You may find 2 cash bookings in Prem is more than the 1 cash booking in UC.

Also, don't forget you don't need reward availability for cash bookings, but do for upgrades. So if there is only 1 reward seat available in UC, your only option will be to pay cash for one, and use points for the other.

I have the same conundrum about premium flights for 3 of us next year. I'm hoping to just call up on the day they are released and hopefully someone at flying club can work out the best use of cash vs points for me!
spoonarama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Virgin flying club have an offer on buying miles of “up to” 50% bonus miles but it is dependent on how many you buy as to what percentage you get.
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
We’ve already committed to Virgin and their card as I already have 32,000 points but thank you for your tip x
I don't get this you can run two cards and get 32000 points, not sure why you wouldn't use the offer.

I have several cards, pay then off each month but use whatever gives me a bonus or the most points at the time.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I don't get this you can run two cards and get 32000 points, not sure why you wouldn't use the offer.

I have several cards, pay then off each month but use whatever gives me a bonus or the most points at the time.
Is American Express not for BA points?

Old 20 Apr 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Is American Express not for BA points?
Both, you just transfer the points you earn with Amex over to virgin flying club, first time you transfer you need to ring Amex and give them your flying number then after that you can do it online.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
Both, you just transfer the points you earn with Amex over to virgin flying club, first time you transfer you need to ring Amex and give them your flying number then after that you can do it online.
Oooo interesting thank you

Old 20 Apr 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Amex is the best way to earn Virgin points, I put everything through it then pay it straight back through the app. Dead simple & 1 point for every £1, 2 for every $1 USD.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List