Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DEBS&DAN
Very Serious Dibber

Trainee Ambulance Technician any advice?

I am thinking of applying for a role as a Trainee Ambulance Technician. Bit of a background to me. I have worked in the NHS as a Medical Secretary for over 15 years. I currently work for the Clinical Director but feel I really want a change. Loads of reasons really but this would be a completely different career path. I am a bit terrified to even consider this as it would mean a lot of studying etc. (that is if I even get an interview). I am in a stable job and it does scare me the thought of trying something completely different.

Does anyone have any experience of having done this? Maybe I am just having a midlife crisis (nearly 44), my boys are 13 and nearly 10 now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 22 Sep 17, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

My dad was 48 when he changed career to become an ambulance technician. He changed from a job completely unrelated to it that paid well, 10 minutes from home, regular hours etc. but it was definitely the best move for him.
It took commitment with studying but as your children are old enough to keep themselves entertained that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. The main thing I’d say is if you’ll be ok with the shift work. My dad has family friendly hours but shifts are still things like 7am-7pm or 11am-10pm either 3 or 4 days a week. I’m guessing that it’s different depending on area though.

It has it’s moments but it is a very rewarding job, I know he wouldn’t change it for anything.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

I think the selling point for you is experience in dealing with concerned patients in a calm manner, and a knowledge of the pressures of the NHS.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DEBS&DAN
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
My dad was 48 when he changed career to become an ambulance technician. He changed from a job completely unrelated to it that paid well, 10 minutes from home, regular hours etc. but it was definitely the best move for him.
It took commitment with studying but as your children are old enough to keep themselves entertained that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. The main thing I’d say is if you’ll be ok with the shift work. My dad has family friendly hours but shifts are still things like 7am-7pm or 11am-10pm either 3 or 4 days a week. I’m guessing that it’s different depending on area though.

It has it’s moments but it is a very rewarding job, I know he wouldn’t change it for anything.
Thanks very much for this advice. It is a bit daunting as my job is fairly stable with good hours and I have been in it so long but I think I am going to go for this job. Nothing ventured nothing gained
Old 26 Sep 17, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DEBS&DAN
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
I think the selling point for you is experience in dealing with concerned patients in a calm manner, and a knowledge of the pressures of the NHS.
Yes hopefully this will go for me. It is just so hard trying to "sell yourself" on the application form as I know about 50% don't even get to the shortlist point. Thanks for your advice.
Old 26 Sep 17, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
simon and marcie
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

I have worked as an Ambulance Technician for the last 17 years. I personally would not recommend the job to anyone but we all have to do what is right for us. I would try arranging time in your local Emergency Ambulance Control Centre and observer shifts on the road for some Frontline shifts. You need to talk this decision through with family and friends as it is life changing.

You will often work long hours and not finish on time. Forget a social life as you will not be able to arrange any events. You will work long hours with little time for food etc. You will learn Buddha like abilities to control your bladder. You will learn about insomnia due to working shifts and stress.

You will see and deal with situations you never thought possible. You will see things that will break your heart and drop you to your knees both physically and emotionally.

It will push your relationships to the limit.

In 2014 I was diagnosed with PTSD due to work and I am still being treated now. Due to jobs I have a attended I have self harmed and considered ending my own life.

I sound very negative and miserable in my reply but I want you to know the reality of what you are considering. If after finding out more information and thinking about what I have said you still want to apply then do it.

Despite all of the above I still put my uniform on with pride and look forward to getting the one job where I make a difference.

Simon

Where do you live?

Edited at 08:03 AM.
simon and marcie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Simon that's a heartbreaking post. I work in Primary care and we've just taken on a qualified paramedic for home visits. She is sadly one of many who are completely burnt out with the job and came to us for a less stressful family compatible life. 5 of her colleagues have also left. I think you need to think long and hard about some sacrifices you would have to make.

Edited at 05:58 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
simon and marcie

Mobile

Thank you I did not post it to gain sympathy but I would like the OP to look at the downside of the job as well as the positives that are to be had.

I come across as the voice of doom but it is the reality of this job. I would want them to make an informed choice and would have appreciated people being honest with me before I joined in the “Good Old Days” lol

Xmas '04 OCT '07, Apr '10 Oct '13 Oct '15 Aug '17
simon and marcie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by simon and marcie View Post
Thank you I did not post it to gain sympathy but I would like the OP to look at the downside of the job as well as the positives that are to be had.

I come across as the voice of doom but it is the reality of this job. I would want them to make an informed choice and would have appreciated people being honest with me before I joined in the “Good Old Days” lol
Sadly your saying the same as our new lady. She has young children and said she couldn't continue in the job for the sake of her sanity and family. A few of her colleagues have followed in primary care another gone into the prison service some left all together.
Old 26 Sep 17, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
simon and marcie

My honest advice if it is the career you wish to do is try and get in as a paramedic.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees if you go in as a Emergency Care Assistant or a Trainee Ambulance Technician that you will progress. Both of those jobs roles are non transferable outside of the service.

As a TAT you will assume full clinical responsibility for your patients (unless with a paramedic and that will be rare) but you will have no transferable clinical qualification. Unlike Soooexcited's colleagues, who are paramedics, you will find it very difficult to move to a different clinical setting.

Xmas '04 OCT '07, Apr '10 Oct '13 Oct '15 Aug '17

Edited at 10:53 PM.