Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 15 Oct 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Christmas Dinner - How do you do yours?

Interested to see how people do their whole christmas dinner prep, table set up, how do you serve it? Whats on your plate?

Im just really nosey and love seeing how other people live

Growing up we had our dinner on our laps on the sofa, as we didnt have a table. Mum prepped and cooked everything (although she wasnt the best cook ) Didnt have help from anyone and it was just Mum, Dad, my sister and me. It was nice but I always loved the idea of a big family gathering. One of those like you see on the TV. Everyone turns up with a dish or drink, its all layed out on a beautifully set up table, turkey is carved at the table and everyone tucks in to whatever the want.

Ive cooked the dinner myself since I moved out at 17, normally just 2 of us and then for the last few years ive had my parents round for dinner.
This year will be different as we have a just turned 1 year old and it will be the first year without my mum

Going forward i want to make those memories with my little one and i'd love that big family christmas i always dreamed of.

So, how do you do yours?
skinnybaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

We have ours self serve style everything laid out on the table in bowls for people to chose what/ how much they want.
Less waste too as any leftovers can be reused later as not been on someone’s plate.
We don’t have turkey so I usually pre slice the meat before plating.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Generally speaking, we don't have turkey here in the US at Christmas - that's a Thanksgiving thing. Most people have ham, or more commonly a buffet of different foods so it can be eaten more casually. No one wants to cook or clean up on Christmas!
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Either me or Mum take it it turns
We have a Turkey crown, Cauliflower cheese, Sprouts, Parsnips, sometimes Peas , stuffing, roast potatoes and pigs in blankets without fail every year!
Sadly only 7 of us this year as Dad passed in August

Apart from the Turkey everyone helps themselves from the kitchen island where all the veg is kept warm, we usually have a sherry whilst cooking and a glass of Champagne but as usual Champagne has gone up £15 a bottle we will be looking at alternatives

We are both lucky to have a dining table which gets laid Christmas style

Presents are after lunch , but as kids were as soon as we got up
Then we laze about for the rest of the day and have cheese, biscuits and maybe a mince pie or two .

* I know this is not environmentally friendly but we cook everything in throwaway foil containers, life is too short on Christmas day to be scrubbing trays especially with roasties stuck to them

Edited at 11:18 AM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Its kind of a set rule that we go to my mums every year, it would brake her heart if we ever did something different.
I buy the Turkey etc and the fancy crackers, she does all the cooking and food prep. She is sadly a terrible cook 🙈 the Turkey is over cooked and dry, roast potatoes are pale and sloppy, veg is generally cold and the gravy is watery 😬😬
She will not accept any help with the cooking nor will she allow me to bring anything that I have cooked at home. It all has to be M&S food so it costs me a fortune 🙈😂🙈
We all say how lovely it is because she always makes a big effort, the table is set with a Christmas table cloth, wine glasses and fancy crackers and bucks fizz 🤩
Its prawn cocktail for starters but my husband has pate because he hates prawns then its turkey, lamb and ham for dinner with sprouts, pigs in blankets, carrots, pork stuffing and cranberry sauce. Mum doesn’t do desserts 🤯 so we eat the tin of chocolates that I bring.
In between Christmas and new year I do my own dinner cooked how we like it with crispy roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds 😂😂😂
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

We host christmas on rotation and last two years have been our turn because obviously we couldn’t do it last year but had bought all the food so I have to do it all again this year!
I always prep veg and stuffing night before and set table a couple of days before that.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
popsiwinkle
Excited about Disney

We very rarely have a traditional Christmas dinner these days, most of the time none of us fancy a big roast so we'll pretty much do whatever we want - some years steaks, others gammon and home made chips etc. The 5 of us will be together around a table - this year and for the foreseeable it'll my sisters as she has the dining table. I'll cook whatever it is we make apart from if we do need gravy as my dad makes that.
popsiwinkle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That is so lovely that you are making your own traditions for your family. 💝 We are a family of 3 and we also have my parents over for Christmas Day. I set the table a day or two before, with a table runner, place mats, flowers, and glasses. I also like to prep all my vegetables (sides) the day before as it’s no fun being in the kitchen all day on Christmas Day by yourself!

We have a nice leisurely Christmas Morning and I then pop the Turkey into the oven mid-morning. I also like to use disposable baking pans (less washing up!) and my DH is fantastic at helping me in the kitchen. We serve everything family style on a large ceramic platter and then go for a lovely walk all together after lunch.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Christmas dinner for all seems now to be invariably at mine and with me cooking (if not working).
In laws are Father with heart trouble, mother with MS and Bro in law who is a vegetarian that cannot cook anything, despite being 46 years old..
Father is 88 and with an A-Z of ailments and single since Mum (a terrible cook ) died last year.

I cook in tin trays on Christmas Day as I will invariably be dishwasher also.

Starter will be Home made tomato and Basil soup, made the night before, Tomatoes, Chicken Stock, Almonds, Double Cream, Basil.

Turkey (Crown) will be cooked the night before, heavily stabbed and infused with Butter, Bacon on top.
Beef likewise, cooked the night before.
Ham the same.

Roast potatoes, parboiled from cold in salted water then roasted in Olive oil and black pepper.

Roasted carrots and parsnips in honey.

Broccoli cheese, Stuffing, Yorkshire’s, Cranberry Sauce, Pigs in blankets..

Gravy is made in the early morning and simmered throughout the day, Bisto, Chicken Stock pot, Tomato Purée, Mustard Powder, Red Wine and seasoning. I think this the most important item in the meal.

The veggie option for bro in law? Mother in law brings some imitation meaty stuff that she microwaves and I make a separate Chicken bisto gravy which looks a different colour to everybody else’s and doesn’t taste so nice. I think that there are also vegetarian pigs in blankets bought over as well. If he don’t like it, then he can always learn to cook his own.

The food is all placed on our breakfast bar with everybody taking what they like before walking through to the Dining room. I load M in laws and my Fathers plates to instruction as both struggle to do it.

Christmas pud is always there ready to be microwaved, but it never seems to happen as we all overeat the main.

Wife and I then clear up whilst everyone else then goes into the Lounge to fall asleep on the sofas by the time we have finished and come through.

I should add that we always do a full dress rehearsal in November as we like this meal so much… Crackers, hats, the lot! (No decorations though). This is for just Wife and Kids

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:01 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I put in the crown early, buy ready prepared veg in bags , ready made cauliflower cheese, Paxo stuffing, prep and cook parsnips, overcook the pigs in blankets and cook aunt Bessies Yorkshire puds. I take the most care on my potato’s and they are crispy and soft in the middle and make bistro gravy with a bit of the turkey juices. I do a few starters, all ready prepared by the supermarket like filo prawns, mozerella sticks, spring rolls. It turns out good and everyone enjoys it usually, I used to burn things but seem to have got it better. The table is decorated festive but simple and I’m knackered after cooking and dh does dessert. Then it’s chill in the front room watching a film, presents opened in the morning. I’d love someone else to do the cooking but at least I know it’s edible it I do it!

Edited at 12:11 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List