Notices

Old 12 Aug 16, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

The Wedding Moon Tour. Jersey-Miami-AMI-Orlando Travel Day 2

I think I slept better last night than I have in ages!
I really think the Premier Inn is excellent. They should change those hair dryers though. My son commented that he could dry my hair faster by breathing on it.

Anyway. The alarm went off at 7 so I jumped in the shower assuming the others would be up and about when I was done.
They weren't! How is that possible? We're going to Florida!
So the sight that greeted me was this...

It took a few minutes and OH resorting to finding Going to Miami on Spotify before he would actually get up. By which time he was so excited he was driving us potty!

Once we'd packed up again and called a cab we were at the airport by 8 and our bags were dropped within minutes.

What is it with idiots going through security?

Before you're allowed through the turnstiles into security at T3 an officer tells you to use the tables to remove liquids, they remind you that it's no more than 100mls and that you can't take any drinks though.

So, we arrive at the conveyor belt to find the 2 women in front of us were completely unprepared. They held everyone up whilst they started getting all their make up out, laptops, phones etc. Then when we got to the end they completely ignored this sign and left 5 trays which I then had to move so our stuff could come through.
How stupid are some people? Yes, they were British

Once we'd located DS's sunglasses which had somehow disappeared into the conveyor and gathered our stuff, being sure to stack our trays, we saw some fool having massive bottles of Pepsi max being removed from his case after X-ray!
What?
Just having a little wander around duty free now before we board. Apparently we're on time but I've been tracking for weeks and it's usually at least an hour late.

I had a lovely treat from OH just as we were waiting for the gate 😍

Now I'm onboard waiting for OH and DS. I was boarded early because of my wedding dress which took my by surprise. Didn't even have time for a toilet stop
See you on the other side! Xx

I knew we wouldn't be leaving on time!
The cargo door needed a part. There was one that could be taken from another plane but in terminal 5 so all in all we were just over an hour late leaving which actually isn't too bad.

The flight was as long and as boring as always but it's a means to an end so I'm not too fussed.
Food was actually ok

We had a mushroom risotto which OH said was actually nicer than some he's had in some chain restaurants. I realise it doesn't look very appetising!

I left everything else but DS polished off the pudding for me!

We had a really demanding woman next to us with 3 children who spent most of the flight with their feet pressed against the tables throwing their rubbish all over the place. She put her eye mask on as soon as we took off and left them to it! Nothing was good enough for them and they just made such a mess. The poor stewardess looked exasperated.

I fell asleep for a little while, read and watched A couple of movies.
How to be single and the Eddie Edwards film. Both quite good.
We were given a snack later in the afternoon which I didn't have but was apparently very nice

DS immediately knocked his cup of tea over his which is how I ended up without! OH was clearly very bored at this point because he entertained himself with som Jam art! This is apparently a J and a G

After that we had a few games of connect 4 and eventually we started to make our decent. I ways seem to forget how boring flying is!

We did have a beautiful view about an hour before landing.

Immigration was a breeze. I couldn't believe it! We were collecting the car well under an hour after we'd landed. Sadly our friends were on the later flight and they still haven't arrived at the hotel so it must be busier in the afternoon.

We've just had the most delicious meal at The Matador Room and now I'm sat watching the lightning on our hotel balcony at The Grand Hotel Surfside. Great hotel and great staff. Our friends are again unlucky as they only arrived here at 22:55 by which time they were given an incorrect room ( just a king for 4 people) and they had a very sick child in tow. They've now been moved but they shouldn't have had to make it all the way up there at that time of night to find there was nowhere for the children to sleep. The children were stood with them at the check in desk.
Besides which, we all paid for ocean front king suites which are supposed to have the second area with the sofa bed.
I'll post a photo of ours when we're leaving as we seem to have this ability to make a room look awful within minutes of arriving. Particularly if we're not unpacking.

I'd thoroughly recommend the food we've just had. It was spectacular. I know there are a fair few Dibbers flying into Miami so if you have time, you should try it.
The lobster was the best I've ever eaten.
We had the following to share after these fabulous cocktails

Crispy potatoes with a Rosemary aioli

Minted pea guacamole with tortillas which I seem to have forgotten to take a photo off. I have one on my actual camera so I'll add when I can.
Fish tacos which had a good kick and almost a romesco sauce too. The belly pork which was with kale, turnips and an apple purée, and lobster with jalapeño and Manchego corn. I could have polished off all the corn myself! It was so delicious :p

The restaurant itself is beautiful. We sat outside and it was the perfect start to our holiday
The service was faultless. The staff know the dishes and I felt like we were talking to the chef himself!

Our pineapple cocktails were delicious. They had a smokey Rosemary flavour to them along with pineapple and maybe bitters. Apparently there's a secret syrup in them with 15 ingredients. They kindly made a non alcoholic version for DS

We Uber'd there and back which is amazing in Miami. The cars arrive literally as you press order.

Quick q, I know you they aren't supposed to carry cash in the UK, but what about over here? I keep asking OH if we're supposed to be tippkng but he says its included. True or false?

If you started reading this last night before I finished, I apologise... I fell asleep writing it!

I've just woken at 4 ish so thought id finish off.

The next instalment is a day in Miami before heading off to AMI this afternoon for a week

I can't wait!

Thanks so much for reading and at some point I'll lighten those food pics so you can actually see what we had!

Xx

Edited at 09:36 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 16, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hope you have a great flight

Joan
Old 12 Aug 16, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Gorgeous sunglasses, have a fab flight. Looking forward to following along with your report.
Old 13 Aug 16, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Yay you are there... and I'm loving those sunglasses
We had a few numptys at Manchester airport security last time we flew...there's signs everywhere people come on! ...anyway have a lovely time and I can't wait to read more
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 16, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Hope you have a great flight

Joan
Thank you Joan. It wasn't too bad and we're so pleased to be here

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 16, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Gorgeous sunglasses, have a fab flight. Looking forward to following along with your report.

Thank you for reading.
I'd had my eye on them for a while in John Lewis but by the time I decided to buy them they'd sold out!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Old 13 Aug 16, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Yay you are there... and I'm loving those sunglasses
We had a few numptys at Manchester airport security last time we flew...there's signs everywhere people come on! ...anyway have a lovely time and I can't wait to read more
There's really no helping some people!

I also witnessed someone trying to get a luggage trolley from the wrong end of the dispenser at baggage reclaim. He was at it for a while before I decided to tell him. He then tried to put a £10 note in the machine... You're not in the UK now

Old 15 Aug 16, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney89
Imagineer

Wow those sunglasses are beautiful! I love those pineapple cocktail glasses.

Las Vegas & California - 2014
Orlando - 2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2010/2013/2014/2017
lovedisney89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List