Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Jul 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
GMickeyB
Excited about Disney

Dollar Rental and Tolls

People that are using Dollar Car Rental what do you do regarding Tolls?
GMickeyB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm not butting in honest but I suggested this new thread as I didn't have any experience of Dollar - I'm an Alamo man.

How do regular Dollar users make sure you avoid their toll scheme and if you opt out do you also avoid the admin fee?

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Mick
Old 8 Jul 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hope I haven't put the kiss of death on your question?

In normal times if you ask about Dollar at least a dozen or more Dibbers will say "always use them - best thing since sliced bread" They must be out there somewhere to help.

Mick
Old 8 Jul 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
GMickeyB
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Hope I haven't put the kiss of death on your question?

In normal times if you ask about Dollar at least a dozen or more Dibbers will say "always use them - best thing since sliced bread" They must be out there somewhere to help.

Mick
I'm sure we'll have a few a bit later on Mick.

I've seen a lot of people say avoid them, so it'll be interesting

The Great Dollar Debate...coming up
GMickeyB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Bumping this because it was my suggestion that GMickeyB would get some responses by starting a new thread.

So please Dollar regulars. What's your experiences to make sure that you avoid the Dollar Sunpass default?

Mick
Old 12 Jul 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Dollar used to be a bit of a nightmare and a company I avoided however in more recent times, their service has improved and their ranking on the JD Power survey increased so I would consider them if it wasn't for their extortionate tolling system charges ($52.49 per week)... although if collecting from MCO and the price was right, I'd consider them since you can sign up to the visitor toll pass system... No admin fees and you only pay for the tolls you use... But I'm very much an Alamo person so willing to pay a bit more to stick with them.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
Dollar used to be a bit of a nightmare and a company I avoided however in more recent times, their service has improved and their ranking on the JD Power survey increased so I would consider them if it wasn't for their extortionate tolling system charges ($52.49 per week)... although if collecting from MCO and the price was right, I'd consider them since you can sign up to the visitor toll pass system... No admin fees and you only pay for the tolls you use... But I'm very much an Alamo person so willing to pay a bit more to stick with them.
Hi Andy

Sad to say that the VTP is still suspended - I check it every day. Maybe something to do with the current passenger transits through MCO. In May 2019 4.36m. In May 2020 369K.

From his original thread the OP is travelling into SFB and I was hoping that regular Dollar users could give him some tips to make sure he avoided the default scheme and also the admin fee if they opt out. Doesn't seem to be many Dollar users around at the minute.

Sunpass still avoid my email though and haven't brought the Avis up to date yet - I'm having to post this caveat every time.

Mick
Old 14 Jul 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
GMickeyB

It looks like all the regular Dibber Dollar users are not around at the minute

Maybe leave it for a few months and ask again.

Mick
Old 14 Jul 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
GMickeyB
Excited about Disney

Well looks like their service has improved a bit, so that's good, and yeah I'll give it another shot at a later date.

Thanks for trying Mick
Old 28 Aug 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Duh_Prez
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi,
I have used Dollar almost exclusively since 2000.
There is seldom any queue and if the vehicle I’m assigned is not what I want then I ask for another vehicle.
In relation to their toll price, it is expensive but I almost always ask for it. On occasions as I have asked at the counter for the toll pass to be included I have received a discount.
On other occasions, most, I Have paid full price. You can however, decline the pass at the desk.
$52.95 per week plus tax is expensive but that includes the admin fees and all tolls, so there is nothing else to pay.
If flying into Sanford I always opt for their toll pass.
If flying into Orlando, I have refused it and used the visitor pass, which is currently suspended.
Hope this helps👍