Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 May 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mrsbenny View Post
I’m finding this thread very interesting, I am wanting to go end of August 2021 so hopefully booking end of September/ October. We live near Newcastle but have to travel for decent prices. Not sure whether to do the flight down night before into Heathrow and transfer to Gatwick and vice Versa on way home or to get the train into kings cross , cross over the road to st Pancras and get the train or as suggested get a taxi to Victoria and Gatwick express. Any more advice or what option would people chose? 4 of us 3 adults, 1 child. 2 medium cases. Thanks
If train travel turns out to be your preference then in my opinion the Gatwick Express is overpriced and for your journey not a lot quicker by the time you get from Kings Cross. The Thameslink from St Pancras is probably the most convenient when your arrive from Newcastle - once you have boarded the KXSP thats it until Gatwick and the crossover of stations at KX is easily done. Don't forget about Family Rail cards if appropriate which can save money too.

At least you have time in your favour to research your trip - especially at the moment when we don't know which airport that BA and VS will be travelling from in August 2021.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve done the journey south by train to Kings Cross, crossed the plaza to St Pancras and caught the train to Gatwick - it’s very straightforward & would recommend that particular option.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
We’ve done the journey south by train to Kings Cross, crossed the plaza to St Pancras and caught the train to Gatwick - it’s very straightforward & would recommend that particular option.
Great thanks, did you buy flexible tickets for the LNER journey back up north? Or just allowed yourself plenty time? Thanks
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I think the flight landed at Gatwick around 7.00am and we booked a train from Kings Cross around 2.00pm which was cheaper than an open return on LNER. I allowed roughly 2 hours to clear Gatwick, then the wait for a train and an hour or so to get to St Pancras. It allowed time for a leisurely bite to eat before catching the LNER. Booking well in advance allowed us to go for first class tickets with entry into the lounge. Hope that helps!
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
I think the flight landed at Gatwick around 7.00am and we booked a train from Kings Cross around 2.00pm which was cheaper than an open return on LNER. I allowed roughly 2 hours to clear Gatwick, then the wait for a train and an hour or so to get to St Pancras. It allowed time for a leisurely bite to eat before catching the LNER. Booking well in advance allowed us to go for first class tickets with entry into the lounge. Hope that helps!
That’s great 😊
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We have friends who live in the north who fly regularly to the States and always get a cheap advance ticket on the train and stop the night before at the Premier Inn. She says this works out cheaper than flying down and is very easy To navigate.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

As Stanley Camel said, the Kings Cross/St Pancras connection works very well.

Bought advance LNER tickets and let the train take the strain from Durham to KGX for us last Nov, tappy lappy out of KGX front exit, right turn to tube entrance... NOTE: directions to the Piccadilly line towards LHR; after going down the steps, do not follow Piccaddily Line signs to the right as that takes you on a new long circuit, turn left (signed Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan and Circle), you're quickly into the old ticket hall, you'll see Piccadilly Line signs to the left, go down a few steps to the barrier (contactless cards, £3.10pp), down the escalator, along the corridor, moving over to turn right for Platform 5, Westbound.

Disembarked LHR tube at Hounslow West, up lift/stairs, tap cc on the way out, over ped crossing to bus stop. Service 222 arrived whilst crossing road, tap cc, no further charge as we boarded the bus within an hour of KGX contactless, hubs used his bus pass. Very helpful driver, gave us the nod for bus stop H immediately outside Bath Road Premier Inn. Following morn boarded Service 111 bus to LHR central bus station, contactless cc for me (£1.50), hubs his bus pass, at the bus station a staff member told us to follow her for the underground walk to T3. KGX to Bath Rd PI to LHR bus station, total fare for two, £7.70. Bath Road PI was £30 for a Monday night stay.

The hotel Hopper shuttle-bus to the airport as it calls in at many hotels and is more expensive.

Edited at 10:57 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsbenny View Post
I’m finding this thread very interesting, I am wanting to go end of August 2021 so hopefully booking end of September/ October. We live near Newcastle but have to travel for decent prices. Not sure whether to do the flight down night before into Heathrow and transfer to Gatwick and vice Versa on way home or to get the train into kings cross , cross over the road to st Pancras and get the train or as suggested get a taxi to Victoria and Gatwick express. Any more advice or what option would people chose? 4 of us 3 adults, 1 child. 2 medium cases. Thanks
Hey up MrsB, hope you're all well Long time since, perhaps 2012, took East Coast to KGX, exited to the right onto Pancras Rd, crossed road into St Pancras. Boarded Bedford-Brighton train, disembarked at LGW. Being used to flying from Man, our LGW, and last Nov's, journey's were canny. Bought tickets separately, don't remember Dhm to KGX fare, St Pan to LGW was £9pp anytime ticket.

Only downside for us; LNER's new Azuma seats are bloody awful, they're like sitting on a piece of board.
Old 28 May 20, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

ChrisS - I’m glad somebody else hates the new Azuma carriages - they’re cramped, claustrophobic, uncomfortable and there’s precious little luggage space!
Old 28 May 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
You can also use Thameslink train from the following London stations to Gatwick

London Blackfriars
City Thameslink
Farringdon
London St Pancras International
London Bridge
The St Pancras connection works well if anyone is arriving at Kings Cross Station.
I often find that these services don't take a lot longer than the Gatwick Express and can be cheaper. I find the Heathrow Express expensive unless you can get a special offer.
Travelled on train to Gatwick using Thames link which was brilliant, saw lots of the ‘sights’ on the way. Loved it.
Travelled to Heathrow via the underground and hated it, awful. So much so that on the return leg, I purchased Heathrow Express tickets which was brilliant, cut out most of the return tube journey👍
Therefore would definitely fly from Gatwick again, would use Heathrow BUT only if we booked the Heathrow Express too.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List