Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Jun 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Help please cancellations and 50% borrowing

I would be very grateful if someone could help me understand this as it applies to my reservations. I have tried to get my head round it all seems so complicated and my brains appear to have turned to mush.

I have two reservations listed with Davids for October.

1. BCV 175 pt contract with June use year. Reservation has used 82 2020 points + 129 points borrowed from 2021.

2. BLT 125 pt contract with October use year. Reservation has used 16 points banked from 2019 + 125 2020 points + 69 points borrowed from 2021.

The DVC website states ' Members who book a new reservation(s) online, or modify an existing reservation(s) online, borrowing more than 50 percent of their Vacation Points per contract, will have their reservation(s) exceeding the 50 percent maximum cancelled automatically within 7 days' So does this mean that if I do manage to rent these out that a change in the lead guest will count as a modification and the reservation will be cancelled?

Also if I decide to cancel the reservations and have the points returned, which use year will the points all go into as some are banked, some current use year and some borrowed?

I would really appreciate some help in understanding this.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think that if you’ve already borrowed the points prior to them putting the 50% rule in place then they don’t/won’t cancel it.

If the points are returned they will go back into the current use year, expiring on 31/5/21 or 30/9/21.

Unless I’m wrong, in which case sorry x
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
With regard to the 50% borrowing, I’m honestly not sure.

If you cancel borrowed points Will still be returned

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ok what I was told on live chat totally contradicted what the website states!I was told that I would be able to use my existing booking points but couldn't borrow anymore as I had already exceeded the 50%, MS said that if I cancelled then I would definitely only have the 50% rule but by modifying I was getting around this but that's not what the website states! I had 174 points tied up, 2 weeks Sept, but modifying to May -wasn't 100% sure that points would return to 2021 so kept it in this UY- but 174 wasn't enough for 2 weeks, I could get 12 nights for 162 but the 50% cut off was 160 so dropped to 11 nights & was able to Bank the 27- only issue now is that they have to be used by Jun '22, by which time I need the 50% rule to have finished otherwise I'll need to rent them out!
I chose to err on the side of caution as I didn't want to book, over the 50%, & then find out that it was cancelled 7 days later! IYKWIM
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Thank you for the responses. I must say I am still confused and at a loss to know what to do. The website does say that any modification to an existing reservation that borrows more than 50% of your annual allocation will be cancelled. I suppose a change of lead guest counts as just that?

Also another thing I wondered is that we tentatively planning a trip April 2022. If my points all go into my current use year I won't then be able to bank the borrowed ones into my 2021 use year to use for that trip? Or will I? I know I probably need to ring MS for clarification but every time I try to phone I can't actually wait for them to answer as they are very busy right now.

marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Try Live Chat
i was fairly confident that I knew as I must have asked for confirmation at least 5 times but that was before reading the website! Which just totally threw my for 6!
I'd hoped that my 27 points would return to 2021 as that's where i borrowed from, might try later once things calm down
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I called MS this afternoon and cancelled both reservations. Borrowed points were put back to their original use year by the CM. This is a manual, time consuming process. I called bang on 2pm had a wait time of 25 minutes and was then a further 55 minutes on the phone while the CM sorted it out. She was very helpful though and it is all sorted now

Old 2 Jul 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
I called MS this afternoon and cancelled both reservations. Borrowed points were put back to their original use year by the CM. This is a manual, time consuming process. I called bang on 2pm had a wait time of 25 minutes and was then a further 55 minutes on the phone while the CM sorted it out. She was very helpful though and it is all sorted now
Glad you got sorted Mary

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Don't think I've got that long a wait in me at the minute! Upside for us on current position is that we would buy a Gold AP & go Apr/May '22 but that will depend on the 50% rule being extinct as we will need to Borrow from '23 to get the full 3 weeks.
SD
Old 2 Jul 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Will you loose your 16 banked 2019 points?

I have a November booking which uses 54 points from 2019? If I cancel I think I'll loose them 😭, I must admit I'm confused by it all now!