Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 6 Jul 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Susethomasx
Excited about Disney

Mobile Dining at Universal/I-Drive costs?

Hello all, a familiar tale of cancelling/postponement has meant that our trip has been rescheduled twice now from 14 night split stay Universal/wdw with free dining this coming summer to now 14 nights at universal only next May - no free dine.

I’m now trying to get an idea of dining costs and ideas on how to keep those costs down. We’re a party of 3, me, DH and DD who’ll be 12. We won’t have a car but we’re not averse to an Uber/Lyft from on site at Universal out to cheaper, varied eateries on I Drive but it’s been 15 years since I visited there ( having stayed on site at both Univ and WDW since) so I’m unaware of the lay of the land and what’s on offer.

We’re staying at Portofino Bay and will likely only eat there once or twice; I have a Landrys card and have signed up DH for one too.

Any recommendations for value in the area would be welcome, thanks
Susethomasx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Dennys
IHOP
Chili’s
Cici’s Pizza
Olive Garden
Longhorns & Outback
All good value some have early bird deals & sign up to loyalty schemes
So you can get free dessert etc 😉
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

We stayed at cabana bay for 14 nights in 2018 and then a split stay between CSR 7 nights and cabana bay 9 nights in 2019. The food from both trips is all documented in the reports in my signature but the 2019 Beauty and the Feast report is probably the most helpful as I was documenting receipts and costs a lot better. The 2018 trip will have more restaurants though eg Panda Express (great value), toothsomes, margaritaville, bubba gumps, etc.

The universal part of the 2019 trip starts on page 11 and for main meals in that area we go to (prices all in dollars):

Moe’s southwest grill (CityWalk), quick service, 25.32
Cowfish (CityWalk), table service inc. cocktails, 72.42
Cheesecake Factory (mall at millenia, so used Uber), table service, 40.32
Denny’s, idrive (walked from Seaworld but there’s one near Universal), breakfast, 28.83 before discount code
NBC Grill (CityWalk), table service (but we only share starters here usually), 28.95
Giordano’s, table service, idrive area (you could get a taxi but we got the park bus to universal’s surfside and walked), 24.60
Teak neighbourhood grill, table service (a little drive so Uber it but it’s worth it), 39.42 inc. cocktails
Longhorns, table service, at the outlets by Universal, 49.82
Red Lobster, table service, there’s a couple on idrive, 55.12 inc. cocktails
Big Fire Grill (CityWalk), table service, 39.41
Red Oven (CityWalk), quick service, I seem to have forgotten the price of this but it’s cheap!

This is all for two adults.

Hope that helps - it was a bit of nostalgia for me going through the report!

Edited at 10:08 PM.
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Loads and loads of good places. We are a party of 3 as well. Here’s a link to my trip reports, we stayed onsite at universal in Feb, last summer, last Easter and the summer before combined with idrive. Link

Portofino has Sals which has fantastic pizza at a great price. Breadbox is another of our favourites as is Panda Express. We also like NBC and love Cowfish.

We like Mythos, confisco grill and Lombard’s in the parks - all table service but depending on what you have they can be cheaper than the quick service places.

Loads of great places offsite too.

Edited at 09:35 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Susethomasx
Excited about Disney

Mobile

This is all such good stuff, thanks all. This’ll keep us busy planning. Thanks!
Susethomasx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Some great feedback so far. We stayed on I drive a couple of years ago and did universal with no car, so used uber and lyft. This was $10 or less so you will find lots of options within a few miles for eating offsite.

We are a family of 4 and me and DH like a cocktail with dinner and kids always had desserts. I would say we had pretty decent meals all for less than $100.

For steak we loved Longhorns, we went twice one trip.
If you like Mexican then Chili's is good, very reasonable as well as that was $60.
We also enjoyed Dennys, IHOP, Perkins for cheap diner meals breakfast and dinner.

At Citywalk Cowfish is a personal favourite but more expensive at around $140, but it depends on what you order. We like the sushi but it's expensive.

You can use you Landry card at Bubba Gumps if you like fried fish etc.

We also loved Margaritaville and Hard Rock Cafe is a bit of a last day tradition. We do love a Hurricane cocktail.

Loads of choice

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Susethomasx
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Loads and loads of good places. We are a party of 3 as well. Here’s a link to my trip reports, we stayed onsite at universal in Feb, last summer, last Easter and the summer before combined with idrive. Link

Portofino has Sals which has fantastic pizza at a great price. Breadbox is another of our favourites as is Panda Express. We also like NBC and love Cowfish.

We like Mythos, confisco grill and Lombard’s in the parks - all table service but depending on what you have they can be cheaper than the quick service places.

Loads of great places offsite too.
This has all been invaluable! And really getting me in the mood for next years trip (fingers crossed), thank you!
Old 10 Jul 20, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Joe’s Crab Shack is another place that takes the Landrys Card. It’s great if you like fishy stuff as well.