Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 30 Aug 15, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Be Our Guest - Breakfast - 25/08/15 (REVIEW)

After really looking forward to breakfast at BOG I have to see we were a little disappointed with our experience.

Pre-Meal
We were shown in straight away for our 9:15 booking. We pre-booked but was left standing around waiting for someone to come and confirm our order and take payment even though we had been shown to a screen to be put through. We were able to switch which room we had the meals taken from though since the In-Laws had far more meal credits left over to use than we did. Definitely a bonus. We were also able to use a QS credit for our toddler not on the dining plan when we were expecting to have to pay for his meal OOP.

Seating
We were seated in the middle dining room which was nicely themed, a little dark, definitely NOT as dark as the West Wing. Seating seemed VERY close together though. Almost crammed in. The couple of girls on the 2 person table next to us were almost sittin WITH us at our 6 person table. Not much space to navigate or work out where to put the high chair... which incidently we experienced a rude CM who bluntly said we could not place a high chair in the gangway... Umm, we weren't. We were trying to work out what to do with the extra chair since you're just stood there staring at us and not making an effort to be of assistance with a useful suggestion since all the other tables were full so not able to just pop chairs elsewere!

Food
As expected we got pasties with our breakfast. Previous reviews had indicated larger parties got 2 trays of pastries. As a party of 6 we expected this to be the case but no, we only got 1, the same amount as the party of 2 seated next to us.

We ordered an assortment of meals:-
Open Bacon and Egg Sandwich
Looked great. Just like the photos on blogs I had seen. Really appetising and served on a warm plate. However, it was cold. Cold eggs are really not all that pleasant. We left pastries till after mains so it hadn't GOT cold, it was served cold. Taste wise it was flavoursome but really should have been served hot. DS refused to eat his.
Vegetable Quiche
This looked nice. MIL didn't really comment much about it which would indicate it was probably nothing special. There was a real lack of vegetarian options here and I don't think a quiche would be something she would particularly choose to eat at breakfast.
Eggs Florentine
FIL had this. It looked nice. The portion of ham on the side looked pitiful. He didn't complain but agreed his food was cooler than he expected and grunted when I said I'd have preferred my food hot. He ate it but gave little comment.
Crossiant Doughnut
Looked AMAZING. DH wasn't particularly impressed. It was neither crossiant like nor doughnut like and described it as an overly sweet lump of grease. He would probably have gone hungry had he not had DS's sandwich to eat.
Child's French Toast
This was actually warm (!) and tasted lovely. I stole a bit of our toddler's and he enjoyed it. He wasn't very impressed with the side portion of fruit and would probably have preferred simply grapes and apples like other kids options elsewhere.
Drinks
All of us bar DS got fountain drinks. The cups were tiny. We could re-fill but honestly, who wants to refill their cup TWICE during a meal? NO reason why they could not provide the proper medium or large drinks cups so the drinks station wasn't so busy and people weren't needing to leave their tables all the time.

Theming
Absolutely amazing. I went through to the other rooms - though did feel like I was interrupting people's meals to try and take photographs which I don't think I'd have been impressed with if I'd sat there (so didn't!)

Overall Impression
I think the theming of this place is great. The food as nice but really should be served hot. I think the hype of this will more than likely fade and become easier to book. Would I eat here again? Yes, if we were on the dining plan I would re-book perhaps for lunch. If we were paying OOP, no I don't think it is worth the money once you've been in and seen inside before. We felt pretty rushed to leave with people permenently hovering for tables but I guess it is QS therefore it is pretty normal but the environment of the place kind of lulls you into feeling it should be a more relaxed affair.

Edited at 04:58 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyD
Imagineer

DisneyD's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 14
I've seen a few reviews of cold eggs but the majority seem quiet positive maybe they just need to work on consistency! BOG is on our list for next year not sure to go for breakfast or lunch though.
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweetie Babes
VIP Dibber

Sweetie Babes's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 32

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
I wouldn't want to eat cold eggs, either! I wonder if it was because you had a fairly late booking. Our booking is for about 8.15am (I say that because we couldn't get a 2 but have two 1s at 8.15am and 8.20am. We're hoping we'll be able to be seated together.
Nov03: 14nts Travelodge/ Feb05: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Aug06: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Apr08: 10nts villa White Oak Circle/ Feb11: 14nts condo Sweetwater Circle/ Feb12: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb13: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb14: 7nts CBR/ Mar15: 14nts AoA/ Nov15: 7nts OKW(DVC)/ Aug16: 2nts BLT/ 6nts AKL/ Sep17: 8nts OKW/3nts BLT/ Sep18: 1nt GFV/9nts OKW/ Feb19: 5nts POR/3nts GFV/ Feb20: 8nts AKL/ Apr22: 3nts OKW/8nts GFV / May23: 9nts BLT / Apr24: 14nts villa Seasons Blvd
Sweetie Babes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have breakfast and dinner booked ( different days ) but I have considered dropping breakfast ( we are oop not dining plan ) . Thanks for the review , its really helpful x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Shimmigirl
slightly serious Dibber

The pastry plate seemed a bit mean, as you get a selection of pastries for one person as well, I will be asking for more if they bring one plate between 4 of us, I am not greedy but I believe in equitable treatment, especially as we have all paid the same..., why should there not be a comparable amount for each guest, now we don't need 5 mini pastries each but a dish between 2 seems reasonable, especially as I know at least ds and dd will eat the pastries, I on the other hand am quite happy to let the kids eat their fill before I try any left.
Shimmigirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post

I'd definitely be interested in trying a different meal. Also, since we were on the QSDP we didn't actually part with any cash. I do think if we were paying OOP we would have asked for more pastries (though staff seem to disappear since it isn't table service) and would probably have sent our meals back as cold. The meals themselves tasted delicious. I just wish they had been hot. I am still glad that we had the experience as the castle is beautiful. I do think the cost is for the experience and setting rather than the actual food though!
Old 30 Aug 15, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DisneyD View Post
I've seen a few reviews of cold eggs but the majority seem quiet positive maybe they just need to work on consistency! BOG is on our list for next year not sure to go for breakfast or lunch though.
I think breakfast is easier to book but I'd definitely like to try lunch next time.
Old 30 Aug 15, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sweetie Babes View Post
I wouldn't want to eat cold eggs, either! I wonder if it was because you had a fairly late booking. Our booking is for about 8.15am (I say that because we couldn't get a 2 but have two 1s at 8.15am and 8.20am. We're hoping we'll be able to be seated together.
I did wonder this. The food came out VERY quickly so wondered if it was waiting for us to be seated and had been made for a while. I don't think I even managed to go and get my drinks before the food had arrived. Makes me question whether pre-booking really is a good idea.
Old 30 Aug 15, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweetie Babes
VIP Dibber

Sweetie Babes's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 32

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Originally Posted by LittleNoo View Post
I'd definitely be interested in trying a different meal. Also, since we were on the QSDP we didn't actually part with any cash. I do think if we were paying OOP we would have asked for more pastries (though staff seem to disappear since it isn't table service) and would probably have sent our meals back as cold. The meals themselves tasted delicious. I just wish they had been hot. I am still glad that we had the experience as the castle is beautiful. I do think the cost is for the experience and setting rather than the actual food though!
This is the thing. If we weren't going to be on the QSDP I'd cancel my booking, as when I spent upwards of $20 on a meal I expect it to be good!
Nov03: 14nts Travelodge/ Feb05: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Aug06: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Apr08: 10nts villa White Oak Circle/ Feb11: 14nts condo Sweetwater Circle/ Feb12: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb13: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb14: 7nts CBR/ Mar15: 14nts AoA/ Nov15: 7nts OKW(DVC)/ Aug16: 2nts BLT/ 6nts AKL/ Sep17: 8nts OKW/3nts BLT/ Sep18: 1nt GFV/9nts OKW/ Feb19: 5nts POR/3nts GFV/ Feb20: 8nts AKL/ Apr22: 3nts OKW/8nts GFV / May23: 9nts BLT / Apr24: 14nts villa Seasons Blvd
Sweetie Babes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 15, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Ah so glad someone else has posted this because us too didn't think our breakfast visit there was that special. To be honest, I could say the same for lunch and dinner. Don't get me wrong... its OK and theming is lovely BUT its mediocre especially given the price. Having been there the last 3 trips, we are all in agreement that BOG is definitely NOT on the list next year.