Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Nov 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile I4 driving

When on the freeways like the i4 is there any lane requirements like in the uk
People seem to sit in any lane with overtaking and undertaking carried out in any lane
Unlike here where undertaking is illegal.
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
You can under or overtake freely in the US. I tend to sit in the middle lane personally (even though I detest that in the UK).
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mike. My view is the outside lane of the I4 is for nut cases!
The driving on that road is getting worse year on year.

With regards to the actual law I'm not sure but common sense dictates to me that keeping in a right lane is safer and saves aggression from others.

Undertaking in the U.K isn't actually illegal unless it done in a dangerous fashion such as weaving from lane to lane to makes progress. If you find the middle lane is slower you can undertake if safe to do so.
Becoming ever more necessary due to those who are lifelong members of the centre lane owners club who hog that lane at 55 to 60mph

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
When on the freeways like the i4 is there any lane requirements like in the uk
People seem to sit in any lane with overtaking and undertaking carried out in any lane
Unlike here where undertaking is illegal.
No restriction. I know approx what junction I'll be getting off at, I keep out of the nearside lane as quite often it merges with the left or disappears off to the right.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
If you find the middle lane is slower you can undertake if safe to do so.
Becoming ever more necessary due to those who are lifelong members of the centre lane owners club who hog that lane at 55 to 60mph
this *really* winds me up when driving in the uk. i undertake all the time - i set my cruise control to 70 and stay in the inside lane until there is something i have to overtake. if idiots going slower in the other lanes get undertaken, it's their problem!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Mike. My view is the outside lane of the I4 is for nut cases!
The driving on that road is getting worse year on year.

With regards to the actual law I'm not sure but common sense dictates to me that keeping in a right lane is safer and saves aggression from others.

Undertaking in the U.K isn't actually illegal unless it done in a dangerous fashion such as weaving from lane to lane to makes progress. If you find the middle lane is slower you can undertake if safe to do so.
Actually it’s only deemed as acceptable when moving in slow moving congested traffic, in an average speed camera area or where overhead gantries show keep in lane. Other than that you can and most likely will be stopped if seen.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Actually it’s only deemed as acceptable when moving in slow moving congested traffic, in an average speed camera area or where overhead gantries show keep in lane. Other than that you can and most likely will be stopped if seen.
Not correct sorry. My Son is a Police Officer and he is an expert on this part of the law. It's not an offence unless an element of danger or carelessness is created hence then a due care charge can be made.
It's very much a grey area though and each case is taken on its merits.

Like Wanye I do it all the time

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Not correct sorry. My Son is a Police Officer and he is an expert on this part of the law. It's not an offence unless an element of danger or carelessness is created hence then a due care charge can be made.

Fair enough, but this is from the police website;
ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

GENERAL ADVICE
Always take extreme care when overtaking on the left, as there may be a number of dangers e.g.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Fair enough, but this is from the police website;
ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

GENERAL ADVICE
Always take extreme care when overtaking on the left, as there may be a number of dangers e.g.
Spot on. There is no actual offence but other factors can create one. Sad though it is we rarely see Roads Policing Officers much now due to Govt cutbacks. They used to target lane hoggers but not much gets done about them now

We have a great system in Wales albeit not sure England has it. Send off your dashcam footage and they review it and can and do prosecute offenders for all types of bad driving including lane hogging at silly low speeds.

It's those who are texting drive nails into me.

Old 12 Nov 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I’m not saying I disagree with you and I’m not saying I’ve never done it but if you do then, if stopped you’re completely at the mercy of the judgment of the officer who stops you.

On the I4 it’s a different matter, much like wacky races you can take any lane. Just have to keep your wits about you and never assume that anyone else on the road actually knows how to drive.