Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 11 Nov 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
#33
Disney_time
Imagineer
 
Disney_time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06
Location: Glasgow

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We're in Scotland and its nearly always "offers over", Unless someone wants a fixed price for a quick sale. Your estate agent just monitors the amount of interest and official "notes of interest" (meaning if you have made a note of interest you must be notified of a closing date). When the estate agent thinks there is enough interest to make a sale, they will fix a closing date, when sealed bids are delivered.

Most sellers are looking for at least 10% over, not so sure about the coutryside, but we are in the city so we would be looking for at least 20-30% over and many here go for more because we are in an excellent state school catchment.

I agree, useless for budgeting, and gives false hope when looking at adverts, but it really makes your estate agent work for their money.
__________________
Disney_time is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Snow fun in Whistler
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
#34
BarrettFamily
Imagineer
 
BarrettFamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 05
When we had our house on the market our Estate Agent wanted us to lower our price to an offers above price. They said we could still get the price we wanted but it would appear in a lower price band search on the online searches. I must admit when looking I also did not look at offers above, not sure why, it just put me off.
__________________
Vicki
Cocoa Beach / Int Drive 1991 - Honeymoon / Villa 1997 / WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary /
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006 / WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I hope
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
#35
FlorayG
Imagineer
 
FlorayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 12

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BarrettFamily View Post
When we had our house on the market our Estate Agent wanted us to lower our price to an offers above price. They said we could still get the price we wanted but it would appear in a lower price band search on the online searches. I must admit when looking I also did not look at offers above, not sure why, it just put me off.
It would put me off too because you have no idea how much they actually will accept. I would rather a house had a high price and 'offers' at least you know here you are.

A friend of mine tried to buy a piece of land that was advertised as 'offers above 30k'. It eventually sold for 60k, way out of her price bracket. Anybody local could have told you it was worth about 60k, they just wanted to get more people into thinking they could afford it
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yet another 'final' trip
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
#36
mickey house
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
We're in Scotland and its nearly always "offers over", Unless someone wants a fixed price for a quick sale. Your estate agent just monitors the amount of interest and official "notes of interest" (meaning if you have made a note of interest you must be notified of a closing date). When the estate agent thinks there is enough interest to make a sale, they will fix a closing date, when sealed bids are delivered.

Most sellers are looking for at least 10% over, not so sure about the coutryside, but we are in the city so we would be looking for at least 20-30% over and many here go for more because we are in an excellent state school catchment.

I agree, useless for budgeting, and gives false hope when looking at adverts, but it really makes your estate agent work for their money.
Omg that is crazy where city properties could fetch 20-30% above the offers over price. I'm glad England doesn't usually follow that very high percentage above the starting price or a 500k property could sell for 650k (wow).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BA club is a con
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
#37
matt987106
Imagineer
 
matt987106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 05

matt987106's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I will admit that reading some peoples experiences puts me off moving a little, but I'm sure there is a lot of luck in it and it will be worth it in the end (all fingers crossed).

Really helpful advice so thanks again to you all.
your self employed arent you ? ?

My advice, get your financial affairs in great order before you start, make sure your tax returns are bang upto date, your tax returns AND
tax year overviews match

I am currently messing about with the tax office about my class 2 NI contributions, its painful
__________________
~2018 Aug - NY, Poly and Mar Cyp Harbour ~~2016- OCT Kidani & Marriott Cypress harbour ~2015 - MAY - DLH ( at DLP ) 2014 - OCT - OKW 1bed with DDP & DC ~ 2013 - OCT - OKW with DDP ~ 2011 - OCT - OKW with DDP ~ 2010 - OCT - OKW with DDP ~2008 - OCT - POP
2007 - FEB - A S movies ~ 2002 - June - POR fq ~ 1998 -May-Offiste
matt987106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
#38
mickey house
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
your self employed arent you ? ?

My advice, get your financial affairs in great order before you start, make sure your tax returns are bang upto date, your tax returns AND
tax year overviews match

I am currently messing about with the tax office about my class 2 NI contributions, its painful
Fortunately I only work part time and I can give up work when ever I want. Once we move I will most likely give up work completely. We don't have a mortgage and won't need any loans or financial help to move, so that's one less thing to worry about thank goodness.

Good luck with the tax office. A few years back they used a debt collection agency to get money from me that their staff said I didn't owe. Long story short they were absolutely useless to deal with, and after paying the money I didn't owe to avoid bailiffs, I lodged a formal complaint, where they accepted that in fact they owed me money (over a grand) and not the other way around.

Edited at 07:55 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BA club is a con
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
#39
disney1st timer
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Join Date: Aug 13
Mobile

When we bought our old house it was advertised as offers over 310,000. This was very top end of our budget but we went to view it. When the lovely lady was showing us round (the owner) she said that she could afford to take 270,000 and if we offered that she would accept. She said the estate agents wouldnt let her put it on so low but she wanted it to go to a nice family to grow up in like hers had and that was more important to her than the money. If we hadnt of gone to view it we would never have snapped up such a bargain!
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
#40
mickey house
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
When we bought our old house it was advertised as offers over 310,000. This was very top end of our budget but we went to view it. When the lovely lady was showing us round (the owner) she said that she could afford to take 270,000 and if we offered that she would accept. She said the estate agents wouldnt let her put it on so low but she wanted it to go to a nice family to grow up in like hers had and that was more important to her than the money. If we hadnt of gone to view it we would never have snapped up such a bargain!
What a great result that was, but I doubt many are as lucky as you though, but I will keep my fingers crossed just in case I meet a seller as nice.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BA club is a con
Reply With Quote
Reply
QuickSilver

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ocean Florida

theDIBB Menu

American Attractions

US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.3167
Covent Garden FX  $1.3187
FAIRFX  $1.3040
John Lewis  $1.3176
M&S  $1.2916
Post Office  $1.2920
Sainsburys  $1.3120
TESCO  $1.3162
Travelex  $1.2990
Updated: 10:30 16/12/2019

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1809
Covent Garden FX  €1.1802
FAIRFX  €1.1715
John Lewis  €1.1837
M&S  €1.1614
Post Office  €1.1592
Sainsburys  €1.1779
TESCO  €1.1810
Travelex  €1.1723
Updated: 10:30 16/12/2019

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Mon 16th Dec 5:59am
Now: 14C/57F
Clear Sky
Clear Sky
Cloud Cover: 1%
Wind: 5mph - ESE Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1021mb
Humidity: 87%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 10:50 16/12/2019