Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 13 Nov 19, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Apprentice Imagineer

Large parts of my town have flooded, including pretty much a whole village a few miles from me. Its absolutely heartbreaking for those directly affected. The army are now here, and we are all watching the forecast for tomorrow carefully.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dominican Republic here we come...
Unread 13 Nov 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post
Large parts of my town have flooded, including pretty much a whole village a few miles from me. Its absolutely heartbreaking for those directly affected. The army are now here, and we are all watching the forecast for tomorrow carefully.
Hopefully the rain wont be as bad tomorrow 🤞, its all dry as far as Im aware now in Rotherham, theres only a handful of shops at parkgate still not open. Catcliffe flash and Treeton nearest to me all routes are open now but its a right mess and boggy.Our local community centre is doing a collection of hints for people affected, we went to Poundland today and bought two big bags full of cleaning materials , bin bags , cleaning cloths etc etc , in 2007 when we flooded we received care packages from villagers in Boscastle who had been flooded years before, people who had been through similar heartbreaking situations.
Fingers crossed again the rain tomorrow is nowhere near as bad as last weeks x
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Need something to look forward
Unread 13 Nov 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Hopefully the rain wont be as bad tomorrow 🤞, its all dry as far as Im aware now in Rotherham, theres only a handful of shops at parkgate still not open. Catcliffe flash and Treeton nearest to me all routes are open now but its a right mess and boggy.Our local community centre is doing a collection of hints for people affected, we went to Poundland today and bought two big bags full of cleaning materials , bin bags , cleaning cloths etc etc , in 2007 when we flooded we received care packages from villagers in Boscastle who had been flooded years before, people who had been through similar heartbreaking situations.
Fingers crossed again the rain tomorrow is nowhere near as bad as last weeks x
Oh god is it forecast to be bad again? I havent even looked.
Darent go to Parkgate yet in case I get stuck. Luckily our new house or old houses werent anywhere near any flood but trying to get Home from donny to Worksop all the back routes it was terrible. Im sticking to the motorways in hopes they never flood.

Feel sorry for the storyteller.

I could have sworn they had done something about the river to prevent this.

And didnt the swans get caught up in all it too ? Covered in oil or something
vampiress88 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Second Disney holiday!
Unread 14 Nov 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We are on red alert today here in Doncaster as the heavy rain is due to start around about 9/10am this morning.
The rumours going around are that Fishlakes flood waters were deliberately directed that way to avoid another 2007 repeat of the flooding in Tollbar in Doncaster. As Fishlake and its surrounding area has not flooded in over 100 years and remembering what was said about the diversion of the flood water in 2007 away from other areas, at that time occupied by high up officials of Doncaster Council, Im inclined to believe theres a element of truth in these rumours, of course Doncaster Council and the Environment Agency wont be taking any responsibility.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.t
Unread 14 Nov 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

I hope you all get sorted and are looked after and not forgotten about by those in charge.
Up here in Cumbria we have had it awful in past years, so totally get how you are feeling.
I am at a loss that they still allow building on flood plains. 😔

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Years of saving but it is so worth it.
Unread 14 Nov 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Oh god is it forecast to be bad again? I havent even looked.
Darent go to Parkgate yet in case I get stuck. Luckily our new house or old houses werent anywhere near any flood but trying to get Home from donny to Worksop all the back routes it was terrible. Im sticking to the motorways in hopes they never flood.

Feel sorry for the storyteller.

I could have sworn they had done something about the river to prevent this.

And didnt the swans get caught up in all it too ? Covered in oil or something
It's raining now but nothing like this time last week but whether it gets worse or not I'm not sure, fingers crossed it doesn't for all those affected. I think most of Parkgate is open this morning now, we were up that way Tuesday evening for daughters swimming and everything was moving okay, the road leading to Parkgate wasn't cordoned off and cars were going along the road, I think a lot of the swans at back of home flair which flooded near Parkgate were displaced, we saw swans and ducks in our local park at weekend, we are quite near to cat liffe flash which flooded badly so I suppose a lot were moving about. A lot of money was spent on the defenses on the Don in Sheffield and it pretty much worked, there was a lot of flooding but not as much but it clearly impacted most on Doncaster further down the water course. I bet those poor souls are looking up to the skies today and praying it gets no worse xx
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 14 Nov 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
We are on red alert today here in Doncaster as the heavy rain is due to start around about 9/10am this morning.
The rumours going around are that Fishlakes flood waters were deliberately directed that way to avoid another 2007 repeat of the flooding in Tollbar in Doncaster. As Fishlake and its surrounding area has not flooded in over 100 years and remembering what was said about the diversion of the flood water in 2007 away from other areas, at that time occupied by high up officials of Doncaster Council, Im inclined to believe theres a element of truth in these rumours, of course Doncaster Council and the Environment Agency wont be taking any responsibility.
There was a lot said about this on local news yesterday, a lot of local residents gave Boris short shrift but to be fair tempers are frayed and some people lost everything. When we flooded in 2007 Prince Charles walked around our estate talking to residents, he was more well received that BoJo. We were told in 2007 it was a once in 100 year thing, my partners house also flooded before that in 2000, same house. We moved a few years back and that road dodged a bullet last week but only just, these predictions of once in a lifetime are clearly well off.
Unread 14 Nov 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
There was a lot said about this on local news yesterday, a lot of local residents gave Boris short shrift but to be fair tempers are frayed and some people lost everything. When we flooded in 2007 Prince Charles walked around our estate talking to residents, he was more well received that BoJo. We were told in 2007 it was a once in 100 year thing, my partners house also flooded before that in 2000, same house. We moved a few years back and that road dodged a bullet last week but only just, these predictions of once in a lifetime are clearly well off.
Better received as he's not a politician I'd guess.

I live in the south so not much I or others down here can do to help, but if anyone who has flooded thinks we can, please shout. I'm guessing no postal or courier services right now to the main flooded areas, but I'm happy to send things to a nearby place for collecting.

A few Openreach exchanges have flooded too of course and I know the response teams are doing all they can to get them pumped out, dry and working again.

Best wishes to you all and please say if there is anything we can do.