Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 6 Aug 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Asd assessment

DD has asd assessment on Monday, i am not quite sure what to expect, it says in letter it will be done by SALT. It is a tick box exercise, as we know she has this just formalising the diagnosis ( it runs alongside her other main condition). I am hoping that i get to talk to someone without her there as she will otherwise listen intently to what i have to say, usually her consultants get her to go out with a nurse to get 'weighed' or something so i can talk. What are they likely to ask? I have already done basic initial assessment paperwork, and find it so exhausting keep going over it all.
Old 7 Aug 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My sons diagnosis process was very different. He had interviews with camhs before being sent on the Autism pathway. He then had ADOS and we had an interview for 2 hours. School also had many forms to fill in too. It usually takes a multi disciplinary team to agree on a diagnosis but if you already have an other diagnoses I'm not sure.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

our diagnosis was done differently too

We did the paperwork which was sent to a multi team panel who decide if they meet the criteria for asd and if they do they get referred for formal diagnosis. They sent someone to the school to observe ds during lessons and go over the paperwork with them. I then attended a meeting by myself ds didn't have to go where we went over his medical history and they asked me questions similar to those on the questionnaire I'd filled in previously and I had to give examples for those areas in which he has issues- things like
Question-does he ever say/do inappropriate things? can you give me an example of something he's said or done
The information was then sent back to panel and I got his formal diagnosis a month later.

The not knowing what to expect was the hardest part as your mind runs riot but it was really quite straightforward.

Hopefully they will give you time to talk while she is not there as there are some things they don't always need to hear esp if they are older

goodluck
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We had a referral into camhs through school with youngest,gp with eldest and then waited for nearly 2 years🙄,then observations in school,discussions with senco/teacher,then we were seen to discuss his medical history having already filled in a lengthy ados type form.Ds was seen with us by psychiatrist, he was pretty distressed bless him,then he was seen twice in a group setting with occupational therapists and then we waited around 6 weeks for a feedback appointment when were given diagnosis in both cases.

Edited at 09:50 PM.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

How did you get on? Did you manage to speak to them without your daughter there?
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

All went ok, was really getting to know DD, although the speech therapist did say that she knew Bethany already saw her friend at school. Got another asessment with DD then a session without her. It can be quite draining and daunting going through all this again. Theygoing to talk to school and hopefully her ley worker etc to get a full picture.
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Similar to my sons assessments. We had a 2 hour interview without him - going through everything from his birth onwards! Getting to the point of assessment is half the battle - although we managed to do that with schools help as every professional who saw him thought he had ASD prior to his diagnosis anyway.