Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Nov 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

Heartbroken at first car going - overly sentimental?

I have a 20 year old red Suzuki Jimny which I have had since 2004 (so most of its life) and now its finally grudgingly having to go... I feel heartbroken! Its my first and only car and I love it to bits! Its practically family!

It has been the most reliable car ever despite putting up with me after first passing my test, sitting out in all weather on the drive and generally being parked anywhere in car parks etc. Its had the odd thing done like brake lines corroding and it once had part of a new exhaust system but nothing that has ever cost me more than £200-300 at a time and the things were very few and far between. Its got us through snow, and has never complained at me not driving it for ages and failed to start or overly revving it etc... However at its last MOT back in March they came up with one very minor thing that needed doing for about £150ish BUT also 6 recommendations which they thought would need doing by next MOT in 2020 so my Dad has been on at me that I need a new car as he reckoned it wouldn't be worth it fixing it, since the cost would likely mount up to a lot more than its worth (though it has huge sentimental value). I don't drive all that far in it so this probs contributes to it lasting so long.

I adore Jimnys (think they are probs like marmite - love them to bits or think they are ugly and boxy) so I really wanted another one, however it turns out they are now quite a hard car to get if you want a relatively new one without crazy miles and they have a bit of a cult status (my car has done less than 52000 so we wanted under this at least) so we started looking last month (my Dad had already been watching listings the couple months prior and said not much had come up). We found a few in grey but I decided it really suited white, so then we were looking for a specific colour as well, so we thought it would be ages before we found something, especially as the cars we would look at and dismiss would then be marked sold the day after when we were looking again. So not only rare they seemed to go quick!

We missed out on one two weeks ago and it got sold from under us by an unscrupulous car salesman who sold it to someone else after we had agreed on it on the Saturday, said don't bother about a deposit now give it to me later (weird I know) and that he would send his bank details on Sunday, we transferred deposit and went up on the Monday to sign paperwork and pay balance, but it didn't reach him fast enough he claims and and he told us someone else had bought it 10mins earlier as I was sitting in it before going into the office on the Mon (odd story I know). Then another with only 9000 miles and the upgraded model came on sale around three hours away (more than wanted to pay but hey ho) and we didn't want to lose out again so drove straight there and bought it on spot as it was immaculate.

Now I should be happy, its a gorgeous flawless car of the exact model, miles, colour etc that I wanted but I'm actually filling up thinking of my old one. I thought I had a good few months with it yet! I drove it for the last time last night, and its now SORN and sitting on drive waiting for its new owner. It was scarily easy to sell even with all that will need fixing soonish we think (we had several hundred people bidding and listed every flaw - I think probs people who could do it up themselves and use it off road perhaps). I just feel so sad though and like a real traitor given how reliable its always been, and then there are so so many memories attached. Its been with me through much of my adult life, since University, through lots of good and bad. I just can't believe I won't drive it again, I at least intend one last sit in it though lol.

Am I over reacting about a car? I'm not materialistic this car is 20years old lol, but it had a name and gender in my head lol... I just can't believe its this hard to let go. I know nothing about cars and how much things cost and keep thinking did we jump the gun i.e. would things have not cost all that much to fix or would they have all not needed doing and if I love it this much should I have just got it all fixed anyway... Does anyone else get sentimental over a car... there will be tears when it finally goes!

Edited at 01:58 PM.
Pink_Fairy_Dust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I always get too attached to my cars which is why I keep them so long. It's a bit cause and effect. I think I am probably driving the most mundane car in the dibb, I inherited it and it had been so well looked after I can't get rid of it. Ironically I don't own it, OH does but its so much easier to fit in parking spaces etc we have effectively swapped.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I was upset at selling my little corsa yesterday and only had it a few years. The last few months, it’s been hard driving it and it’s extremely under powered. I still shed a little tear and felt bad that it’s likely to be scrapped. 😩
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladleboy
Apprentice Imagineer

I feel your pain. I have had my 2004 Focus since 2005 (14 years). it's been with me on a daily basis covering nearly 140,000 miles. On wednesday the clutch went on the way home. I knew it was going as it felt different. It's gonna cost around £400 to fix, which is about four times what the car is worth. I'm absolutely heartbroken. It's currently parked outside my house on the grass verge. I really dont think I can bring myself to call a scrapyard to come and get it (it's undriveable). She really is a member of my family. My DW thinks I'm a soppy old sod!
Ladleboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

All my cars have had girls names and my motorcycle now has a name.
I don't intend to post them for fear of embarrassment.
Old 1 Nov 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
All my cars have had names and personalities but I never grieved over any until Jezebel and I actually did shed a tear as the new owner (who happened to be the same bloke I bought her from) drove her away.

She was a red Honda Aerodeck MC2 and the most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels but an MOT costing half again what she was worth I just couldn't justify. Most of it on emissions and electronics which was annoying as she was still perfectly fine to drive.

She went to be a racing car though
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
All my cars have had girls names and my motorcycle now has a name.
I don't intend to post them for fear of embarrassment.
Embarrassment? I’m sure they won’t read this 😂 go on, tell us!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

My first car, I think of fondly, she was so nice to drive, I learnt to drive in her, and did my first solo drive in her an hour after I passed my test.
Sadly she died when a tree fell on her. RIP Rosie
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My first car in 1972 was a 1962 P4 Rover 100. It was awesome, however it only did 8 to the gallon

I bought it for £225 and a year later sold it for £250 to a local Guy.

He still has it!

When I win the lottery I'm having it back as I loved that car. It had overdrive and a one gallon reserve petrol tank. It will cost £25K to make it pristine and in the end it will be worth £10k but I want it!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I've been quite fond of my cars over the years, but my current vehicle is the absolute love of my life. She is a sparkly, silver Chrysler PT Cruiser and she has been mine for almost 12 years now. She is very temperamental and doesn't like being left for long periods without being driven, nor does she like anyone sitting in the front passenger seat (the battery is under there and the wires get squashed, causing the dashboard lights to flash and the engine to cut out - experience has taught me this!). But I love her deeply and dread the day she finally conks out for good ….. I call her Phobos, after one of the moons of Mars.

Good job this is only the Dibb and not a public website that can have me locked up for lunacy …….

This is her in the snow a couple of years ago.