Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Nov 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile NYC - December 2020

Hi Everyone

So it’s time that I can finally start planning & getting ideas for our trip to NYC next Christmas.

It’s been getting discussed for at least 5 or 6 years, so you can imagine my excitement now.

Bit of background, so far it’s a girls trip for me and my bestie. She has never been to NYC and is desperate to see it at Christmas. I have been twice, however the last time was around 12 years ago, and it’s changed so much that I’m classing myself as a newbie. I’ve always wanted to see it at Christmas, and the reason we’re picking this year is I also turn 40 in December.

I noticed when pricing earlier in the year (for this December as a dummy booking) that hotel prices really dropped in the week leading up to Christmas itself. With that in mind, we’re looking to fly home around the 22nd.

We want to be able to do and see everything without feeling too rushed (I’m sure we’ll need lots of hot chocolate breaks to warm up) and we would like a day at Woodbury Common outlets. With this in mind, would 6 nights be enough these days?

Also, what areas / hotels are people finding the best these days? We are the kind of travellers that like to have more budget accommodations so we can use the extra cash to spend on things to do there. The fact it’s my birthday makes no difference to this, the only requirement really being that we don’t want the super teeny tiny rooms that the city offers if possible.

Also, what is this that’s now happening with resort taxes? I keep seeing mixed things saying you can refuse to pay as they’re not legal, and others saying you have to pay. Also some sites that include them when you book so there’s no charge once there. Any advice here would be great.

Off to stalk all NYC trip reports now!

Thanks in Advance

Gill
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
New York at Christmas will be fabulous !
We stayed at the Broadway Plaza. It was a good mid range hotel, no resort fees and a free breakfast which saved us a lot. The rooms were very large too. Right next to a subway and only a couple of stops from Times Square.

The highlight of our trip was the climb up to the Crown of the Statue of Liberty. You need to book 6 months in advance,
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
New York at Christmas will be fabulous !
We stayed at the Broadway Plaza. It was a good mid range hotel, no resort fees and a free breakfast which saved us a lot. The rooms were very large too. Right next to a subway and only a couple of stops from Times Square.

The highlight of our trip was the climb up to the Crown of the Statue of Liberty. You need to book 6 months in advance,
I’m literally just looking at that one now, it looks amazing! Is it your trippie I’ve just started?

I’m not sure about SOL crown, I’ve heard it’s quite enclosed and claustrophobic? I’m not good in small spaces, as much as I’d love to do it, I’d be terrified of getting there and either losing the nerve or panicking

X
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
I’m literally just looking at that one now, it looks amazing! Is it your trippie I’ve just started?

I’m not sure about SOL crown, I’ve heard it’s quite enclosed and claustrophobic? I’m not good in small spaces, as much as I’d love to do it, I’d be terrified of getting there and either losing the nerve or panicking

X
It might be. I really should finish it ! I have my notes but after I trip I just seem to want to think about the next one.
I too am claustrophobic and a bit overweight too. I booked for the 4 of us thinking I would chicken out on the day. I was persuaded by my family to do it and it was so worth it. Every time we see the Statue now I know I climbed up it. You are literally on your hands and knees at the top bit, my son climbed in front and my husband behind just in case ! Honestly if I did it anyone can. They only sell a restricted number of tickets so there aren’t queues on the steps.

The Broadway Plaza was recommended on here, it isn’t plush but it was clean, the staff really friendly and helpful. The breakfast room is very small and you have a tray to take drinks, pastries, bagels, muffins, toast back to your room. I took our own cereals and porridge pots. We were right by the breakfast room on the 4th floor so it was really handy. It was a junior suite because there was 4 of us. The 24 hour Starbucks machine was also put to good use. I took takeaway cups from the £ shop to take drinks out in a morning.

Enjoy your planning.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
It might be. I really should finish it ! I have my notes but after I trip I just seem to want to think about the next one.
I too am claustrophobic and a bit overweight too. I booked for the 4 of us thinking I would chicken out on the day. I was persuaded by my family to do it and it was so worth it. Every time we see the Statue now I know I climbed up it. You are literally on your hands and knees at the top bit, my son climbed in front and my husband behind just in case ! Honestly if I did it anyone can. They only sell a restricted number of tickets so there aren’t queues on the steps.

The Broadway Plaza was recommended on here, it isn’t plush but it was clean, the staff really friendly and helpful. The breakfast room is very small and you have a tray to take drinks, pastries, bagels, muffins, toast back to your room. I took our own cereals and porridge pots. We were right by the breakfast room on the 4th floor so it was really handy. It was a junior suite because there was 4 of us. The 24 hour Starbucks machine was also put to good use. I took takeaway cups from the £ shop to take drinks out in a morning.

Enjoy your planning.
The hotel sounds perfect if I can get it for a decent price. Everyone keeps telling me I should book somewhere fancy for my 40th, but honestly, cheap, clean and comfortable is all I need. I’d much rather use the extra money to spend on stuff to do there, or having a ball.

You had almost sold me on SOL until you said about the hands and knees bit. There’s no way I could cope with that at all. I would freak out completely. I’m hoping I can get this claustrophobia under control as it’s getting worse. I was on a shuttle from Heathrow to Manchester the other week - fine going down to London as I was in club, coming back I was in a window seat right at the back and it was full. Honestly I had to keep my head right back as I could feel the panic starting if I tried to look around!
Old 9 Nov 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

We went Xmas eve 2016 for 5 nights Omni Berkshire, good location BA package booked in May £865 each, I thought brilliant price especially over Christmas time
We did the Crown, but as my son had told us, it’s ok but very cramped, lot of stairs too, worth a visit though, One World we liked, but crazy lines even with a ticket, magical to skate Xmas day at Rockerfeller best experience , best views from the Rockerfeller Center too, went onto Jersey Boys at night 😍

We’ve done Woodbury Common before, but it will be a day out of your holiday
So I would do 5 or 6 nights, try & get early landing flight to give you more time when you arrive.

I’m really even not that keen on Christmas it’s the same old thing every year, but NYC even got me in the Spirit 🤣🤣told Hubbie we need to go again over Xmas in the future, just loved not having to scramble for presents & rushing around in Tesco too
Enjoy 🇺🇸
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
p3aud
Very Serious Dibber

Just home from New York. Bryant park is brilliant - ice rink and lots of little craft shops and stuff to eat. The rockettes christmas spectacular at radio city was brilliant too. Also I loved the christmas shop in Macy's.
Enjoyed Jersey mills shopping mall which we went to on the way home from newark airport.

Edited at 08:49 AM.
p3aud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
We went Xmas eve 2016 for 5 nights Omni Berkshire, good location BA package booked in May £865 each, I thought brilliant price especially over Christmas time
We did the Crown, but as my son had told us, it’s ok but very cramped, lot of stairs too, worth a visit though, One World we liked, but crazy lines even with a ticket, magical to skate Xmas day at Rockerfeller best experience , best views from the Rockerfeller Center too, went onto Jersey Boys at night 😍

We’ve done Woodbury Common before, but it will be a day out of your holiday
So I would do 5 or 6 nights, try & get early landing flight to give you more time when you arrive.

I’m really even not that keen on Christmas it’s the same old thing every year, but NYC even got me in the Spirit 🤣🤣told Hubbie we need to go again over Xmas in the future, just loved not having to scramble for presents & rushing around in Tesco too
Enjoy 🇺🇸
This we stayed last year 4 night @£650 each with BA

some of the stuff we did (well wife & daughter did some only) at christmas had been before so have done all the main stuff

top of the rock at night
rockettes xmas show
NYC Ballet iirc Nutcracker
Skating Bryant Park (much cheaper than central park)
Walked through central park
Ate at Tavern on the Green at night
4.5 million shops & a few irish bars

Edited at 04:08 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Look at Hampton inn 35th street free brekkie , near Macy’s we loved it
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Aw thanks so much guys, you’re all getting me so excited!

I know we will lose a day with the outlets, but my friend in particular loves a shopping trip so I’m happy to extend the holiday by a day to allow it. Plus I might be able to get myself something nice for my birthday!

I’ll check out the hotel recommendations too.

Definitely going to aim for an early flight out, late flight back. I was going to do standby through work, but I don’t want to risk any issues with weather, busy flights or cancellations, so I think I’ll probably look to book flights and hotel or a package