Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 9 Nov 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
#17
Mickie
Very Serious Dibber
 
Mickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 18
Location: London

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Last time we moved (about 10 years ago) I found it was helpful to be clear where you stood with the selling agents. So for instance there was one offers in excess of property just on our maximum price so I explained to the agent I didnt want to waste my and everyone elses time if that figure wasnt likely to be accepted as there was no way I was going higher. Similarly I told them not to show me anything over x unless they were pretty sure the sellers would be open to x as an offer. I made clear x was our absolute maximum and I wouldnt be spending it on any old house. It did work being clear with the agents. They phoned up one day said weve just seen a house we havent got it yet but Its exactly what you want and they want x for it. As soon as they got the sellers agreed to let the agent have the sale we were in that day and the deal agreed.

I dont think we paid over the odds as other similar houses in the area were asking more but went for similar prices only we got the nicest house on the market at the time!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Bahama Bay
Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
#18
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Having just sold and bought for the first time in 20 years, what a nightmare (as you may have read)

On the buying side, the house we bought was first on the market at a lot more than when we viewed it. By the time we viewed it they had reduced it several times but it had a offers in excess of on it. When we booked to view I asked the estate agent were they open to offers, he said depended on what it was and our position. At the time we had sold to a no chain buyer, so we viewed and made a lower offer due to the state of the property. This was lower than one they had received a couple of months earlier and rejected, but for whatever reason they accepted ours and even though we had problems they stuck with us, despite the agent trying to drum up other buyers.

So I would say it is up to you how nosey you want to be and how valuable your time is. We also moved area by about an hour or so and spent many weekends over nearly 2 years driving past places and either then discounting them or booking to view. However it wasn't until this place that we found somewhere that grabbed us. I think if you don't have to move it can take a long time to find what you want. But if you find it then just agree to pay what it is worth to you regardless of what the agents jargon or sales pitch is!

On the selling side, well it is up to you what you say about the price and who you let view it. We decided not to be picky and we let people who hadn't sold view ours, some people wouldn't do that, but we thought they could sell the day after and if we had said no then they wouldn't come back! The agent also knew what price we wanted but still had a couple of random offers, they have to put them to you by law. Finally, anyone can pull out at any stage before contracts exchanged with no costs other than what you have spent on surveys etc. Our agent was also no sale no fee so we could have pulled out for any reason and not had anything to pay.

With hindsight we should have told our buyers to sling their hook but we are in a place we now love already that we may have lost but our buyers are still causing us grief which we don't know when will end I also think my dh has lost the will to live after 2 bathroom design appointments lasting in total 5 hours

Good luck with it all and I'd say get a skip and start decluttering now as you will have far more stuff than you realise if you haven't moved for a few years!
__________________
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Whooo hoo a Woolacombe family Christmas
Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
#19
princess allie
VIP Dibber

 
princess allie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 11
We are just selling a separate annexe on our property, we marketed it at a set price and got a very close offer within a few days. If we were buying, I wouldnt bother looking at anything that was listed as offers over a certain price. I would look for those that had a set asking price.
__________________
ALISON


1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs 2020 Feb half term villa chilling
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Feb half term, 1 week only
Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
#20
mickey house
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Having just sold and bought for the first time in 20 years, what a nightmare (as you may have read)

On the buying side, the house we bought was first on the market at a lot more than when we viewed it. By the time we viewed it they had reduced it several times but it had a offers in excess of on it. When we booked to view I asked the estate agent were they open to offers, he said depended on what it was and our position. At the time we had sold to a no chain buyer, so we viewed and made a lower offer due to the state of the property. This was lower than one they had received a couple of months earlier and rejected, but for whatever reason they accepted ours and even though we had problems they stuck with us, despite the agent trying to drum up other buyers.

So I would say it is up to you how nosey you want to be and how valuable your time is. We also moved area by about an hour or so and spent many weekends over nearly 2 years driving past places and either then discounting them or booking to view. However it wasn't until this place that we found somewhere that grabbed us. I think if you don't have to move it can take a long time to find what you want. But if you find it then just agree to pay what it is worth to you regardless of what the agents jargon or sales pitch is!

On the selling side, well it is up to you what you say about the price and who you let view it. We decided not to be picky and we let people who hadn't sold view ours, some people wouldn't do that, but we thought they could sell the day after and if we had said no then they wouldn't come back! The agent also knew what price we wanted but still had a couple of random offers, they have to put them to you by law. Finally, anyone can pull out at any stage before contracts exchanged with no costs other than what you have spent on surveys etc. Our agent was also no sale no fee so we could have pulled out for any reason and not had anything to pay.

With hindsight we should have told our buyers to sling their hook but we are in a place we now love already that we may have lost but our buyers are still causing us grief which we don't know when will end I also think my dh has lost the will to live after 2 bathroom design appointments lasting in total 5 hours

Good luck with it all and I'd say get a skip and start decluttering now as you will have far more stuff than you realise if you haven't moved for a few years!
I must admit I didn't read about the issues you had, but it does sound a bit of a nightmare.

Pleased that you are happy how you ended up, but how can you buyers still be causing you grief (I don't disbelieve you - just curious)?

I hope you're not going with the big really expensive companies getting bathroom quotes (like dolphin - where the sale people are desperate for their huge commission). Must reputable fitters won't spend long in your home.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BA club is a con
Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
#21
Mickie
Very Serious Dibber
 
Mickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 18
Location: London

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I hope you're not going with the big really expensive companies getting bathroom quotes (like dolphin - where the sale people are desperate for their huge commission). Must reputable fitters won't spend long in your home.
Yes. I had a quote of about 15,000 for bathroom that I got done by a local fitter who sent me to a couple of suppliers to choose fittings for a total of about 3,500. Similarly Magnet once quoted me 48,000 for a kitchen! Obviously they had a sale coming up and could eventually do it for the sale prices of 22,000 but I guess as I still hadnt stopped laughing they managed to knock another 6000 off that. Again I got a local fitter and the whole thing was probably around half that.
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Bahama Bay
Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
#22
gl20
Serious Dibber
 
Join Date: Jun 13
Mobile

Remember people can and do enter into bidding wars that take the actual price of a property over the advertised price, even if it doesnt say OIEO - this happened with last place we sold.

In other words Id not let OIEO out you off. Bidding wars can happen irrespective and if does say OIEO then, as others have said, you can put in an offer on the understanding it will then be taken off the market.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
#23
mickey house
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
Yes. I had a quote of about 15,000 for bathroom that I got done by a local fitter who sent me to a couple of suppliers to choose fittings for a total of about 3,500. Similarly Magnet once quoted me 48,000 for a kitchen! Obviously they had a sale coming up and could eventually do it for the sale prices of 22,000 but I guess as I still hadnt stopped laughing they managed to knock another 6000 off that. Again I got a local fitter and the whole thing was probably around half that.
Omg they really are dodgy, but the problem is many people will pay it because they have money to burn and also they believe they are getting the best fitters and quality and which isn't always the case (the fitters are sub contracted). To even suggest 48,000 for a kitchen as a starting price is just madness (unless you have a massive kitchen). I'm glad you weren't conned and went for local fitters.

I've had people in million pound plus houses refuse to pay a little to have their unsafe electrics sorted, but they will pay tens of thousands for beautiful fitted kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms which they can show off to people (they can't show off the electrics). Interesting where some peoples priorities are🤔.

Edited at 04:20 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BA club is a con
Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
#24
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I must admit I didn't read about the issues you had, but it does sound a bit of a nightmare.

Pleased that you are happy how you ended up, but how can you buyers still be causing you grief (I don't disbelieve you - just curious)?

I hope you're not going with the big really expensive companies getting bathroom quotes (like dolphin - where the sale people are desperate for their huge commission). Must reputable fitters won't spend long in your home.
Where do I start? Why they even bought the house I don't know, they have complained we didn't leave paint to touch up the damage done by our removers, (no damage done, we took photos before we left on advice of our solicitor after 4 months of him! ) we threw paint away and because we were worried that he would class it as leaving rubbish! that we took a TV bracket that should be a fixture, (we stated we were taking bracket on form and he never queried it - it was a 150 7 mth old bracket which he could have bought off us) that the wooden blinds they paid for don't work (blinds were stiff as we only tilted them not pulled them up, and he didn't pay specifically for them, he wanted them in the price! that the boiler isn't the one he saw! yes we had the time to take out the boiler and replace it with a c*** one especially as we have gone to a house with no gas! that the kitchen is 10 years old,(can I help it that we bought a quality one that I looked after and it looks younger than it is! ) that dh had cut some cable off, that the fire won't turn off... (pilot light you w*****) That is from memory discussions with dh, he has purposedly not let me see the emails as he knows I will get either upset or angry! He is threatening legal action unless we pay for new kitchen etc. He is just a bully, we reckon the rental market in the area we were have collectively breathed a sigh of relief that he won't be renting anymore! Bet you wish you hadn't asked now!

As for bathrooms, gone to local independent companies - wouldn't go near all these chains/franchises like Dophin, Hammonds etc. The time was them explaining their plans and us choosing the colours, brands, loo we wanted. We have 3 bathrooms that need doing, 2 of them are awkwardly shaped and with awkward ceilings. Neither of them has even tried to do any pressure selling. Hoping to use the same ones for quotes on kitchen in the new year. Same also for front door and windows. We want to build up a list of people to use like we had in our old area.

I appreciate your concern for me, thank you
__________________

Edited at 11:50 AM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Whooo hoo a Woolacombe family Christmas
Reply With Quote
Reply
US Rent A Car

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Discount Florida Car Hire

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ocean Florida

theDIBB Menu

Attraction Tickets

US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.3102
Covent Garden FX  $1.3153
FAIRFX  $1.3100
John Lewis  $1.3111
M&S  $1.2834
Post Office  $1.2842
Sainsburys  $1.3042
TESCO  $1.3072
Travelex  $1.3016
Updated: 22:02 15/12/2019

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1740
Covent Garden FX  €1.1807
FAIRFX  €1.1750
John Lewis  €1.1787
M&S  €1.1545
Post Office  €1.1527
Sainsburys  €1.1698
TESCO  €1.1725
Travelex  €1.1652
Updated: 22:02 15/12/2019

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Sun 15th Dec 5:21pm
Now: 23C/73F
Few Clouds
Few Clouds
Cloud Cover: 20%
Wind: 10mph - E Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1021mb
Humidity: 53%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 22:08 15/12/2019