Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Nov 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I hope you're not going with the big really expensive companies getting bathroom quotes (like dolphin - where the sale people are desperate for their huge commission). Must reputable fitters won't spend long in your home.
Yes. I had a quote of about £15,000 for bathroom that I got done by a local fitter who sent me to a couple of suppliers to choose fittings for a total of about £3,500. Similarly Magnet once quoted me £48,000 for a kitchen! Obviously they had a sale coming up and could eventually do it for the sale prices of £22,000 but I guess as I still hadn’t stopped laughing they managed to knock another £6000 off that. Again I got a local fitter and the whole thing was probably around half that.
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Remember people can and do enter into bidding wars that take the actual price of a property over the advertised price, even if it doesn’t say OIEO - this happened with last place we sold.

In other words I’d not let OIEO out you off. Bidding wars can happen irrespective and if does say OIEO then, as others have said, you can put in an offer on the understanding it will then be taken off the market.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
Yes. I had a quote of about £15,000 for bathroom that I got done by a local fitter who sent me to a couple of suppliers to choose fittings for a total of about £3,500. Similarly Magnet once quoted me £48,000 for a kitchen! Obviously they had a sale coming up and could eventually do it for the sale prices of £22,000 but I guess as I still hadn’t stopped laughing they managed to knock another £6000 off that. Again I got a local fitter and the whole thing was probably around half that.
Omg they really are dodgy, but the problem is many people will pay it because they have money to burn and also they believe they are getting the best fitters and quality and which isn't always the case (the fitters are sub contracted). To even suggest £48,000 for a kitchen as a starting price is just madness (unless you have a massive kitchen). I'm glad you weren't conned and went for local fitters.

I've had people in million pound plus houses refuse to pay a little to have their unsafe electrics sorted, but they will pay tens of thousands for beautiful fitted kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms which they can show off to people (they can't show off the electrics). Interesting where some peoples priorities are🤔.

Edited at 04:20 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I must admit I didn't read about the issues you had, but it does sound a bit of a nightmare.

Pleased that you are happy how you ended up, but how can you buyers still be causing you grief (I don't disbelieve you - just curious)?

I hope you're not going with the big really expensive companies getting bathroom quotes (like dolphin - where the sale people are desperate for their huge commission). Must reputable fitters won't spend long in your home.
Where do I start? Why they even bought the house I don't know, they have complained we didn't leave paint to touch up the damage done by our removers, (no damage done, we took photos before we left on advice of our solicitor after 4 months of him! ) we threw paint away and because we were worried that he would class it as leaving rubbish! that we took a TV bracket that should be a fixture, (we stated we were taking bracket on form and he never queried it - it was a £150 7 mth old bracket which he could have bought off us) that the wooden blinds they paid for don't work (blinds were stiff as we only tilted them not pulled them up, and he didn't pay specifically for them, he wanted them in the price! that the boiler isn't the one he saw! yes we had the time to take out the boiler and replace it with a c*** one especially as we have gone to a house with no gas! that the kitchen is 10 years old,(can I help it that we bought a quality one that I looked after and it looks younger than it is! ) that dh had cut some cable off, that the fire won't turn off... (pilot light you w*****) That is from memory discussions with dh, he has purposedly not let me see the emails as he knows I will get either upset or angry! He is threatening legal action unless we pay for new kitchen etc. He is just a bully, we reckon the rental market in the area we were have collectively breathed a sigh of relief that he won't be renting anymore! Bet you wish you hadn't asked now!

As for bathrooms, gone to local independent companies - wouldn't go near all these chains/franchises like Dophin, Hammonds etc. The time was them explaining their plans and us choosing the colours, brands, loo we wanted. We have 3 bathrooms that need doing, 2 of them are awkwardly shaped and with awkward ceilings. Neither of them has even tried to do any pressure selling. Hoping to use the same ones for quotes on kitchen in the new year. Same also for front door and windows. We want to build up a list of people to use like we had in our old area.

I appreciate your concern for me, thank you

Edited at 11:50 AM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Where do I start? Why they even bought the house I don't know, they have complained we didn't leave paint to touch up the damage done by our removers, (no damage done, we took photos before we left on advice of our solicitor after 4 months of him! ) we threw paint away and because we were worried that he would class it as leaving rubbish! that we took a TV bracket that should be a fixture, (we stated we were taking bracket on form and he never queried it - it was a £150 7 mth old bracket which he could have bought off us) that the wooden blinds they paid for don't work (blinds were stiff as we only tilted them not pulled them up, and he didn't pay specifically for them, he wanted them in the price! that the boiler isn't the one he saw! yes we had the time to take out the boiler and replace it with a c*** one especially as we have gone to a house with no gas! that the kitchen is 10 years old,(can I help it that we bought a quality one that I looked after and it looks younger than it is! ) that dh had cut some cable off, that the fire won't turn off... (pilot light you w*****) That is from memory discussions with dh, he has purposedly not let me see the emails as he knows I will get either upset or angry! He is threatening legal action unless we pay for new kitchen etc. He is just a bully, we reckon the rental market in the area we were have collectively breathed a sigh of relief that he won't be renting anymore! Bet you wish you hadn't asked now!

As for bathrooms, gone to local independent companies - wouldn't go near all these chains/franchises like Dophin, Hammonds etc. The time was them explaining their plans and us choosing the colours, brands, loo we wanted. We have 3 bathrooms that need doing, 2 of them are awkwardly shaped and with awkward ceilings. Neither of them has even tried to do any pressure selling. Hoping to use the same ones for quotes on kitchen in the new year. Same also for front door and windows. We want to build up a list of people to use like we had in our old area.

Oh my. What is it with difficult buyers, we have a really bullyish one too who is being a pain! Even post exchange he is being a pain - got a phone call from the estate agent on Saturday, can you measure up the living room carpet or let his carpet provider in to measure up. I was getting the tape measure ready when she mentioned that he had been really rude to one of the other admin girls for no reason and made her upset, so I decided I didn't have time to measure the carpet for him after all, what a shame

Your buyer took the house as is on day of exchange so surely you are liable for nothing? Can you tell him to not email you any further and any communication has to go through his solicitor, then block his email address?

I am not even considering giving our buyer our forward contact details

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Wow what a strange/nightmare of a person that bought your house. He sounds like he is just trying his luck to get some extra money from you, but fortunately he doesn't have much chance by the sounds of it. I can't believe that he is suggesting that you took the boiler out and replaced it!

I like to cover my back, but I will go even more over the top and take pictures/videos of everything. Thanks to your post, I will make a video of exactly how the house was left when we move out.

Sounds like you have it sussed it out regards not using the silly priced big companies to do home improvements.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
Last time we moved (about 10 years ago) I found it was helpful to be clear where you stood with the selling agents. So for instance there was one offers in excess of property just on our maximum price so I explained to the agent I didn’t want to waste my and everyone else’s time if that figure wasn’t likely to be accepted as there was no way I was going higher. Similarly I told them not to show me anything over £x unless they were pretty sure the sellers would be open to £x as an offer. I made clear £x was our absolute maximum and I wouldn’t be spending it on any old house. It did work being clear with the agents. They phoned up one day said we’ve just seen a house we haven’t got it yet but It’s exactly what you want and they want £x for it. As soon as they got the sellers agreed to let the agent have the sale we were in that day and the deal agreed.
I'm with you. I offered my absolute maximum £X on my current house, the agent called me back and said " they won't accept £X but they will accept £X + £1,000"
I said "good luck to them then thank you"
He called me back within an hour and said " They will accept £X"
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Oh my. What is it with difficult buyers, we have a really bullyish one too who is being a pain! Even post exchange he is being a pain - got a phone call from the estate agent on Saturday, can you measure up the living room carpet or let his carpet provider in to measure up. I was getting the tape measure ready when she mentioned that he had been really rude to one of the other admin girls for no reason and made her upset, so I decided I didn't have time to measure the carpet for him after all, what a shame

Your buyer took the house as is on day of exchange so surely you are liable for nothing? Can you tell him to not email you any further and any communication has to go through his solicitor, then block his email address?

I am not even considering giving our buyer our forward contact details
Same here, the estate agent was off with stress because of him, his solicitor, surveyor and our solicitor had all had it with him. Partly why we don't believe his threat of legal action because I don't think anyone will take him on and I don't think he has a leg to stand on!

Re the address, unfortunately way back at the beginning of the process we offered to speak direct to him, hence he had my dh email address. However he doesn't have our new address or any phone numbers and no one will give him them. His kid is at the school I used to work at and he is causing trouble there as well. I haven't even given our old neighbours our new address so he can't wiggle it out of them. I just keep in touch via fb!

Good luck with it all, despite the state of the house, I am really loving it and can't believe how happy I am here already. My dh went back to work on the Friday after we had moved in the day before. Have you got removers - can recommend 2 if you need them!
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Same here, the estate agent was off with stress because of him, his solicitor, surveyor and our solicitor had all had it with him. Partly why we don't believe his threat of legal action because I don't think anyone will take him on and I don't think he has a leg to stand on!

Re the address, unfortunately way back at the beginning of the process we offered to speak direct to him, hence he had my dh email address. However he doesn't have our new address or any phone numbers and no one will give him them. His kid is at the school I used to work at and he is causing trouble there as well. I haven't even given our old neighbours our new address so he can't wiggle it out of them. I just keep in touch via fb!

Good luck with it all, despite the state of the house, I am really loving it and can't believe how happy I am here already. My dh went back to work on the Friday after we had moved in the day before. Have you got removers - can recommend 2 if you need them!
Yes please to movers! We have one coming around tomorrow which we will go with as their initial quote was quite reasonable and they are a well respected local company that I've had recommended to me. So fingers crossed that works out but if not I'm a bit stuck!

Thank you

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
In the past when buying I would always discount looking at any house that was advertised as offers above. I am not interested in bidding wars, so I would just pass those one by.
Why would this stop bidding?
"offers over" is just meaning less advertising words.

Our estate agent used it a number of months ago when we sold. It didn't have any impact at all. Bids came in below and above. We didnt take the highest as it was a more complex sale.

Potential buyers can make whatever offer they want and the seller can accept any offer they want regardless of anything put in the brochure or website.

Edited at 05:55 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List