Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 5 Jun 20, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
nno6py
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Just spoke to Disney..

..they rang about a complaint that I put in regarding the 35% room discount for free dining removal not being fair for certain bookings (for example, big families in rooms or those in value resorts).
First thing, I didn’t have a go at her (I feel so sorry for CMs at the moment) but she listened and appreciated everything that I said, going as far as to say that they realised that this was negatively impact on some more than others.
Interestingly, she kept repeating that “that was the offer as of now, but that I should keep checking back on the website for updates on free dining”.
I genuinely believe that she was trying to say that it‘a likely that Disney will revise this offer.
I was in tears throughout most of the call though, it is/was the wrong time of the month for me to be talking about it potentially ruined Disney trip. 😂😂
We had a reservation that was booked through the US site, so this might not be directly relevant...but it’s made me think that this might be why the UK news is so delayed.
Hopefully a rethink...?

Edited at 07:12 PM.
nno6py is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Ah I’m sorry that they weren’t able to give any better news. I’m in the same boat re the 35% not going far. We’re a family of five but there are six of us travelling this year. Free dining would’ve stretched to the six of us no problem. 35% would probably only feed us for 3 days.

Hope you’re ok?
Cabana Bay: Sep 2019 Oct 2023
DLP: Oct 05 Sep 13 Feb 14 July 19
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s so upsetting isn’t it and emotional trying to deal with everything going on and getting refunds and trying to book your holiday. Has the 35% off on rooms been offered to U.K. now? I am desperately waiting to rebook for next March and April as they were very special most holidays. Desperate for news.

2012 WDW Mom's Panel Search Finalist
Sheraton Safari Jan 05 & Feb 08
Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by LDISNEYFOX View Post
It’s so upsetting isn’t it and emotional trying to deal with everything going on and getting refunds and trying to book your holiday. Has the 35% off on rooms been offered to U.K. now? I am desperately waiting to rebook for next March and April as they were very special most holidays. Desperate for news.
No, the OP has booked with Disney US.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Welsh_Dragon
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by nno6py View Post
..they rang about a complaint that I put in regarding the 35% room discount for free dining removal not being fair for certain bookings (for example, big families in rooms or those in value resorts).
First thing, I didn’t have a go at her (I feel so sorry for CMs at the moment) but she listened and appreciated everything that I said, going as far as to say that they realised that this was negatively impact on some more than others.
Interestingly, she kept repeating that “that was the offer as of now, but that I should keep checking back on the website for updates on free dining”.
I genuinely believe that she was trying to say that it‘a likely that Disney will revise this offer.
I was in tears throughout most of the call though, it is/was the wrong time of the month for me to be talking about it potentially ruined Disney trip. 😂😂
We had a reservation that was booked through the US site, so this might not be directly relevant...but it’s made me think that this might be why the UK news is so delayed.
Hopefully a rethink...?
Did you complain by e mail? If so, which e mail address did you use? Thank you.
Welsh_Dragon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I spoke to someone on mde chat today and just asked if they had any updates on when we might hear. She said she didnt know when but to that we should get an email soon informing UK customers what's happening with their dining plans. I dont expect us to keep them but the wording struck me as a bit odd.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Hopefully a rethink...?
On the other hand, up until now larger groups in one room have always benefited to a greater degree than a solo or couple travel party occupying the same room type. I have never thought to complain about that.

If they were to properly compensate for the cost of free dining for a group of four or five they would have to be giving rooms away for free or even paying people to come and stay.

I can understand why some will choose to stay elsewhere but full compensation is not realistic and 35% seems like a reasonable gesture.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
nno6py

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
On the other hand, up until now larger groups in one room have always benefited to a greater degree than a solo or couple travel party occupying the same room type. I have never thought to complain about that.

If they were to properly compensate for the cost of free dining for a group of four or five they would have to be giving rooms away for free or even paying people to come and stay.

I can understand why some will choose to stay elsewhere but full compensation is not realistic and 35% seems like a reasonable gesture.
You are missing the point entirely.

This is about the removal of an offer that many would not have booked without, and are now tied into a holiday that they maybe cannot afford because of non-refundable flights etc.
With the offer as it stands, a couple in a deluxe resort will now actually be “making” whereas a family in a value would be losing out substantially.

For clarity, we are a couple in a value, at off-peak season, we have nowhere near enough to now cover the cost of eating.

That makes me feel extremely concerned and upset for families who had booked those rooms, maybe the only way they could afford a trip of a lifetime!?

The point is that this is the removal of an offer that people (and Disney) signed up for. Your comments only really applies for the future fairness of the offers in general and I, for one, am happy that the offer exists if it gives poorer families the option of a holiday like this, maybe even
once. I have never once considered that a family would get “more” than me if they book using free dining, because individually they get the same.

This is not about money, it is about the ability to continue with a holiday.

Edited at 09:09 AM.
Old 6 Jun 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You are missing the point entirely.

This is about the removal of an offer that many would not have booked without, and are now tied into a holiday that they maybe cannot afford because of non-refundable flights etc.
With the offer as it stands, a couple in a deluxe resort will now actually be “making” whereas a family in a value would be losing out substantially.

For clarity, we are a couple in a value, at off-peak season, we have nowhere near enough to now cover the cost of eating.

That makes me feel extremely concerned and upset for families who had booked those rooms, maybe the only way they could afford a trip of a lifetime!?

The point is that this is the removal of an offer that people (and Disney) signed up for. Your comments only really applies for the fairness of the offers in general and I, for one, am happy that the offer exists if it gives poorer families the option of a holiday like this, maybe even
once. I have never once considered that a family would get “more” than me if they book using free dining, because individually they get the same.

This is not about money, it is about the ability to continue with a holiday.
I’m sorry but I agree with Claudette. Realistically to compensate a family of 5 for the removal of free dining with a refund of the cost of that dining plan could potentially mean Disney are practically giving rooms away. I know they’re a big business but Covid-19 isn’t their fault and they’re juggling thousands of guests, trying to stay open and trying to keep people safe. To expect them to look at everyone’s individual circumstances is unreasonable.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
nno6py

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I’m sorry but I agree with Claudette. Realistically to compensate a family of 5 for the removal of free dining with a refund of the cost of that dining plan could potentially mean Disney are practically giving rooms away. I know they’re a big business but Covid-19 isn’t their fault and they’re juggling thousands of guests, trying to stay open and trying to keep people safe. To expect them to look at everyone’s individual circumstances is unreasonable.
There is no need to apologise, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It is my opinion that (for booking already in place) Disney had signed up to provide food for that family, at whatever the cost that food was. They had signed up to paying that out. Paying that amount in gift cards ensures that that family spend that money within Disney. It is unfair of Disney to pass a large amount of their losses onto that family (who now might actually have to lose their flight money), whilst potentially over-compensating a wealthy couple in more expensive rooms.

Disney shareholders will not suffer so much that their investments will be wiped out in the longer term. Families would potentially losing a lot of their life savings in non-refundable flights. Again, to clarify, we are not a large family..but I feel so sad for those that are.

On the other hand, do you feel that it is fair for a lone traveller or couple to actually be making money from this offer (some substantially), via the 35% discount?

I must admit that these responses are making me feel very sad, it is unusual for Disney fans to not be concerned about the plight of others, in my experience. 😞

The current offer is like an opposite Robin Hood kind of deal, taking from the poor and giving to the rich, albeit I will strongly caveat that with the fact that I appreciate that it’s a generalisation..not all that stay at values are poor and not all that stay at deluxe resorts are rich...but it generally holds.

My tears yesterday were not for my own personal situation, we will probably manage, should it continue. They were for the fact that other people won’t be able to.

It isn’t that we (and there are now a lot of “we” who are having this conversation with Disney) expect them to look at individual cases. They are being expected to account more properly for what has been lost. So, a relevant reduction based on the number of people in the room, that does not take into account how expensive (or not) that room was. It could really be simpler.

Edited at 09:47 AM.