Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Feb 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
gbr78
Being a bit Goofy

Can we do this cheaper?

I know I've been told that DIY/waiting until Disney dining plans are out etc is my best bet, but after some discussion we've managed to knock Virgin and Tui down and I want to know if there is really much benefit in waiting.

Quotes are for the Easter holidays 2021, and travelling outside of the school holidays cannot be done. We want to stay on site and don't really want to hire a car. Currently looking to fly out on Monday 5th April (Easter Monday) as this is a chunk cheaper than any other day surrounding it by around £1000 or more.

- 10 days POFQ
- Direct flights (either Sanford or MCO)
- 14 day tickets Disney
- 14 day tickets Universal
- Transfers (Disney Express for MCO, Tui transfer for Sanford)
- Economy flights
- 2adults, 1child (11)

Currently at £7600 (Virgin started at £8800)

Whilst I understand there may be some elements cheaper, I'm not thinking of a saving of £100 here or there. Is there a big saving likely to be had by waiting, considering the dining plan is pretty much a no-go for our dates?
gbr78 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

You are paying top price for everything in that quote.

The equivalent of £1000 each for the flights and £300 a night for POFQ.

It's up to you. You could potentially save hundreds of pounds but diy takes time and effort.

If you are reasonably happy with the quote and don't really fancy putting the holiday together yourself then book the package.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have you double checked your local school easter holidays, as these often vary now?

Top price for everything and if you waited you might get free dining? Although not sure of dates that covers. I would wait and see after flights are released. They are guessing on prices and allowing a generous buffer on their part for the hotel prices.
Old 11 Feb 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
gbr78
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Have you double checked your local school easter holidays, as these often vary now?

Top price for everything and if you waited you might get free dining? Although not sure of dates that covers. I would wait and see after flights are released. They are guessing on prices and allowing a generous buffer on their part for the hotel prices.
Yes, holiday dates checked - my wife is also a teacher, hence the restriction to holidays only.

I can see what you say about free dining, but everything I have seen in past years would miss these weeks out. Going back, 2017 was the only one that got close, with free dining starting back up for arrivals on Easter Monday. Every other year has blocked out two weeks either side (give or take a day) so I would be very surprised if that changed for next year.

I've found it very difficult to get a straight comparison from posts on here, they're either for villas, a different time of year, or cut into term time by a significant amount, so they cannot be used as reference.

Dates either side of Easter Monday are, for some reason, significantly higher, and stay that way until the time that the return flight would be too late, so it seems that there is a decent saving there anyway. What I don't want to do is leave it for now only to find no free dining is available and prices have risen... but no one can tell me otherwise of course...
Old 11 Feb 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think of you’re happy with the price then that’s the main thing.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gbr78
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I think of you’re happy with the price then that’s the main thing.
I am... but I find decision making very difficult!

Whilst we've studied prices, we've not studied past Easter's in particular as we've been trying to establish when best for us to go. It seems that this time of year is perhaps more costly than, say, summer holidays, but we'd never survive in the heat and humidity of August.
Old 11 Feb 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

Seems high to me try charter travel or Disney
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

I'm not sure these are accurate 2021 prices but if you check on Attraction Tickets site, 10 nights at POFQ 5-15 April 2021, plus the 14 disney tickets for the three of you is £4,063. Add your 14 day universal tickets £852 so total before flights and sanford transfer is already £4,915. So the price you have seems a little high, but perhaps not completely far-fetched?

Free dining was available in the last 2 years for arrivals up to 2 weeks before Easter Sunday or a week after, so if it follows the same pattern for next year, I'm afraid it won't quite work for you.

Edit: where are you flying from?

Edited at 08:14 PM.
Lily8 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just because VH take your booking there is no guarantee you will get your choice of accommodation, over past few years they have had to change some disney hotels once they get their allocation.
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
gbr78
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
I'm not sure these are accurate 2021 prices but if you check on Attraction Tickets site, 10 nights at POFQ 5-15 April 2021, plus the 14 disney tickets for the three of you is £4,063. Add your 14 day universal tickets £852 so total before flights and sanford transfer is already £4,915. So the price you have seems a little high, but perhaps not completely far-fetched?

Free dining was available in the last 2 years for arrivals up to 2 weeks before Easter Sunday or a week after, so if it follows the same pattern for next year, I'm afraid it won't quite work for you.

Edit: where are you flying from?
We are looking to fly from Gatwick - this seems our cheapest option.

As you say, with 10 nights at POFQ with all tickets at £4915, then that leaves £2685 for the flights/transfers... just shy of £900 each. Whilst this is still quite pricey, it seems to me that it's probably not actually that bad considering the fact that it's a peak holiday time.