Old 2 May 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
To Disney World and Beyond (with a toddler) - Day 1 - Travel Day

Day 1 - 06/04/2019 - Travel Day

So we had our alarm set for 0500hrs, but as expected, we were both awake before the alarm as far too excited to sleep. Thankfully Bobby was still asleep in-between us on the huge bed.

So Holly went and got ready, soon followed by me. At around 0530hrs, we thought we best start making a few noises around the room to wake Bobby up... he started to stir and by about 0545hrs he was awake.

We got him changed and we had a few last looks out of the window at the planes with Ash and Matt.

In fact we had actually watched a VA plane land and come into gate which we wrongly assumed was ours... There were 5 VA flights going out that morning after all, although as it was the VS76 just presumed it was the VS75 heading back out.

Anyhow, I took the overnight bag back down to the car which was still parked right outside, and completed the car form to hand the keys in. Nice and straight forward.

Back in the room and made sure we had everything... one final check of the room and by 0630hrs we were down in reception checking out. Next time we will be here is end of the holiday picking up the car, or staying here before NYC later this year! Paid for the room including the meal we had the night before... over indulged slightly, but hey, we were on holiday!

10 minutes later, and with Bobby enjoying the moving walkway we were back in T2 and heading for the special assistance security with the stroller. Never the easiest having to take everything out putting everything through in about 6-7 trays. But we were through, and my hand luggage was in fact stopped for search. Hadn't thought anything of it, until later on when I realised that we had calpol sachets loose in the bag... oops

Through security by 0700hrs, and we stopped in Duty Free to pick up some perform and aftershave... I picked up some Hugo Boss and Holly got some perfume which I cannot remember. Holly paid so nice little holiday present from her.

We were on time as we had planned to get to the V-Room between 0700 and 0730hrs. Think it was now about 0720hrs and we made our way in the lift to the V-Room.

Well this would make us book with VH again. Such a wonderful reception we had entering the V-Room with a lovely lady telling us everything about it and the name of our flight etc. We managed to get a table near the little playroom and Bobby was off... Was great to be able to sit there and be so close to him watching him play, with other kids in there too. We met a lovely couple from Southampton on the table next to us.. They were travelling with 2 young ones, and their eldest played with Bobby for the 1.5hours that we were in there. Perfect!

I had the eggs Benedict and Holly had an full English of sorts. We got Bobby some cereal and a muffin. Food was ok, not a highlight by any means, but standard lounge food really! But just as a place for Bobby to run around and play it was perfect.

Getting closer to 0900hrs and we decided to pack away the stroller and get ready for our flight to be called. It was called just after 0900hrs and we say goodbye to the V-Room and make our way to the gate, were there was already a long Q. It didn't matter to us too much and as we boarded, we put the stroller bag next to the desk.

Our seats were row 26H, J and K. So on the right side of the plane just as you board. Good seats and made better for a fairly quick get off the other side.

We settled in the seats and did all the necessary with getting the belt and life jacket for Bobby, and ensuring we had his toys (bag with 9-10 different new toys for each hour), plus all other things needed for the flight to save us getting up and down. We made sure that we had all of this in 2 bags max for ease.

So the flight... ... Great!

Bobby fell asleep just before the plane took off. I think it was a mixture of the engine noise and the early start. He had his dummy in, and after the seatbelt signs went off, we were able to lift the arm rests (unfortunately they don't fully lift) and lie him down between us with his head on my legs and his feet on Hollys. From here he must have slept for just over 1.5 hours. Just in time for the food to be brought out. Meant Holly and I could have a drink (JD and Diet Coke for Holly and Tiger beer for me), and start to get into a film each. Bliss...

Bobby woke up not long after the food was brought round. Bobby had a Childs meal which was a cheesy pasta, Holly had the chicken and mushroom and I went for the Pork chilli. I love plane food anyway, but don't think Holly and Bobby were too impressed as usual. But they did manage to eat most of it!

After food, we gave Bobby his 'pab' and some toys and he just happily sat there and played. We had preloaded a lot of Thomas and Fireman Sam onto his kindle fire, so he could sit and watch episode after episode.

Holly and I managed to carry on with our films!

About 4.5-5 hours into the flight, Bobby got a bit tired again, and didn't take him too long to fall asleep again on Holly. Again, we did the same thing... once asleep, we lay him down between us and thankfully he went asleep for another 1.5-2 hours. Was asleep for the 2nd wave of food, but then woke up for the ice cream... of course he would!

By now, there was only an hour left of the flight, and we made sure we had everything packed away and Holly went and changed him ready for the long(ish) journey after we land!

All in all a really good flight and couldn't have asked for it to be any better with Bobby. In fact, the flight was that 'peaceful' that Holly and I both watched 2 films each. Holly watched Bohemiam Rhapsody and Christopher Robin whereas I watched A Star is Born and Ralph Breaks the Internet!

We landed (just before 1400hrs) and as soon as the seatbelt signs went off, we put him into the sling and got all of the bags down. One last check around us to make sure we had everything and it wasn't long before UC, PE and Bubble passengers started to disembark!

The next few hours were difficult, although we kept Bobby in the sling to make things easier... It took us around 1hr15mins to get through customs, in a very hot hall, and by the time we got through all of our cases were off waiting for us. I went over to collect our stroller, but it wasn't there! I couldn't believe it... however, because it was in a stroller bag they had put it with all of the cases instead. We realised this quite soon after but for those few mins I started to panic a little!

With our 3 cases, the stroller bag, Bobby in a sling and 3 pieces of hand luggage we made our way to the 1st ride of the holiday... the monorail. Or as Bobby would say all holiday... 'mono'.

Through into the main building and Holly and Bobby took a seat to FaceTime her family whilst I went to the other side of the airport to pick up our US$ 200 gift card. Didn't take long and soon met back with them... we were then off to get the Magical Express.

We were here for about 1600hrs, but had to wait about 15-20 mins for the coach to fill before we set off for MK resorts. 1st stop the Wilderness Lodge, followed by Grand Floridian, then BLT. We were finally here... it was now just after 1700hrs and glad to finally be at the hotel. Holly went into the lobby to get our MB's whilst I waited for the cases. Even Bobby got a MB although he didn't have tickets. Is this the norm?

Soon up to our room on floor 8 with a great view of the Contemporary, 'mono' and of course the Magic Kingdom!

At this point all we wanted to do was go down the pool and get a drink! Bobby was still wide awake, so we all got changed into our swim costumes and straight down to the pool. Well the splash pad first as that still had some sun, but once that went we moved into the pool! This was great as had a zero entry which was perfect for Bobby.

We went and picked up a Blue Moon (my favourite) and a Pina Colada from the pool bar! Drinks were US$ 23.57 including tip. Nice and refreshing after this long day!

He loved the slide, and this is were he found his independence... he wouldn't let you help him up the stairs and onto the slide... oh no... he had to do it himself! Until of course he fell over on the top of the slide... didn't hurt himself but I think gave himself a little bit of a shock! At this point we decided to call time on the pool. Must have been around 1845hrs.

We got ourselves dry and walked over to the Contemporary taking in the grounds... It was a lovely day in Florida, although the towers kind of block out the sun once it starts to go down, so was a nice temp.

We went into the Contempo Cafe and Bobby was living the dream... Chicken nuggets, chips and the 'mono' going past every few minutes. Holly and I got the standard 1st night meal... burgers. Food was very nice again and just what was needed after the travelling! Bill came to approx US$ 45.

As Bobby had been great all day, we took him into the shop and let him choose whatever he wanted. He picked... the cars bath toys. Great, and would be loads fun throughout the holiday during bath time. This was also were he learnt more about 'queen' (McQueen).

By now it was getting on about 2000hrs and we were all done in really, so we made our way across the walkway and up to our room. We bathed Bobby, got him into his PJ's and by 2030hrs he was fast asleep... He had been far better than we expected on the travel day, for what I am sure would have been very difficult for him. So proud of him, and although we love flying, this was one of our biggest concerns for the holiday!

Now it was time for Holly and I to chill on the balcony to watch HEA for the first time (in person). I went down and refilled our cups from dinner, and we tried (unsuccessfully) to find the channel for the fireworks music. But Bobby was asleep so we decided not to try any further anyway as to not wake him.

However, due to a storm in the area, the fireworks was delayed... of course we were not informed on the balcony (of course not), who by 2130hrs we decided to give up. got into bed and eyes were soon going until we heard some big bangs... the fireworks started around 2145-2150hrs... we quickly ran to the balcony and watched the fireworks for a perfect end to a perfect day!

We were finally here... the most magical place on earth with our amazing son. This is what dreams are made of!

Fireworks were awesome, and we could still hear the music coming from the Contemporary!

Once finished it didn't take long for us to crash, and again we set our alarms early (0500hrs) to get all packed up and for our early morning ADR at Chef Mickeys... although we knew full well we wouldn't sleep till our alarm at that time!

This has been an amazing day, and we finished it in a beautiful hotel were a beautiful view of MK at night topped off with the fireworks! If this was only the beginning... what else was in store for us... we couldn't wait to find out!

End of day 1.

Day 2 - Magic Kingdom / POFQ

Index

Edited at 09:34 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 04:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Fantastic day. How good was Bobby on the flight! We love BLT and are staying there for our first week in Disney in August. Looking forward to the rest of your trippie.
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

What a great travel day, your son really behaved so well for you.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
A great start! Looking forward to reading more.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

What a perfect little traveller you have there! Great travel day and you all did so well to go swimming your first evening, we all crashed by 8:30 on our first night.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Wow what a fantastic travel day, Bobby did amazing! This fills me with hope, I must admit I am rather dreading the flight! If we can have as smooth a travel day as this then I will be over the moon!

What a view from your balcony too, just stunning!

Also did you find the sling useful throughout the holiday? We found it great in DLP when we took Charlie at 9 months... I am now wondering if we should take it in September too, particularly as it converts to a back carrier which I think could be more comfy all round (he is rather heavy now!)
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Kellea View Post
Fantastic day. How good was Bobby on the flight! We love BLT and are staying there for our first week in Disney in August. Looking forward to the rest of your trippie.
BLT was amazing... We only stayed here for one night as FQ was not available for this night when booked so decided to 'treat' ourselves with DVC points!
Old 3 May 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by katnav View Post
What a perfect little traveller you have there! Great travel day and you all did so well to go swimming your first evening, we all crashed by 8:30 on our first night.
Yes, he did well with the travel.

We were only at BLT for one night so wanted to also make use of the facilities whilst there. Plus always nice and refreshing getting into the pool after what is usually a very long tiring day!
Old 3 May 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Wow what a fantastic travel day, Bobby did amazing! This fills me with hope, I must admit I am rather dreading the flight! If we can have as smooth a travel day as this then I will be over the moon!

What a view from your balcony too, just stunning!

Also did you find the sling useful throughout the holiday? We found it great in DLP when we took Charlie at 9 months... I am now wondering if we should take it in September too, particularly as it converts to a back carrier which I think could be more comfy all round (he is rather heavy now!)
Travel day went far better than we expected with the exception of the immigration hall and getting through and out of the airport. They were the only parts which were 'difficult' shall we say!

He was great fun on the flight and didn't kick up a fuss at any time. From us playing with him, to him eating (I should have mentioned we took plenty of snacks too), to him watching his kindle fire to even playing with the lovely family / kids behind us also it just seemed to really pass the time! I am sure it does help when you have people around you who like kids. MAN-MCO flight in school holidays so you would expect most could at least tolerate them lol!

Flight home was more difficult (although not terrible), but this was for many reasons. Bobby was ok for most of it, just got upset when he was very tired!

To be honest with you, we had bought the sling to take to the parks with us for Q'ing and other times etc. However, we only ended up using it getting off the plane at Orlando and all the way through to BLT and getting on and off the plane on the way home!

It did work well for these times, but probably better ask Holly that as she carried him when we put him in the sling. She had her own hand luggage on her back to counter balance haha!

I did most of the carrying round the parks when he wasn't in his stroller or running around!
Old 3 May 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Thank you all for reading so far. Will have day 2 (Chef Mickeys, Magic Kingdom and check into French Quarter) up over the bank holiday weekend!