Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Dec 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Does anyone’s cat suffer from feline acne?

So my girl cat has had attacks of this all her life (she’s 4) and usually just goes away on its own.

Last month she had an attack but it was really prolonged. It usually starts with a fat lip, then a lump under her chin and then black scabbing under her chin. This time though after the scabbing her lip swelled up again and was really red.
I took her to the vet on Saturday and she’s on a course of antibiotics for 10 days, and I have to run her chin with an antibacterial wash twice a day too.
It was all looking good, the swelling had gone away and all scabbing had gone, but tonight when I went to do her chin wash and give her the antib’s the corner of her mouth is now swollen and red. 🙁
I’m wondering if this is normal for feline acne?

She has a follow up appointment on Tuesday and I’m guessing she will need more medication for this new swelling. Just gutted for her really. 🙁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Our ginger girl gets small patches on her chin but they clear up rapidly with no treatment.
I presume you know to only use steel or ceramic cat dishes as plastic can be a causing agent. We also change her bowls several times a day ( can be 6 plates ) feeding table spoons at a time & her bowls go in the dishwasher.
Sorry to read that your cat is having a horrid time with it & hope it settles soon.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by storm View Post
Our ginger girl gets small patches on her chin but they clear up rapidly with no treatment.
I presume you know to only use steel or ceramic cat dishes as plastic can be a causing agent. We also change her bowls several times a day ( can be 6 plates ) feeding table spoons at a time & her bowls go in the dishwasher.
Sorry to read that your cat is having a horrid time with it & hope it settles soon.
Yep she only have ceramic bowls. I got her shallow ones so her chin doesn’t rub on the sides too. She gets fed 3 times a day and gets a fresh bowl every time. I’m considering changing her food to a hypoallergenic one, but I’m going to ask the vet what he thinks first.
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

not a cat but we had a dog that suffered really badly with acne and she ended up needing a 6 month course of antibiotics to get it under control though after that she only ever had a couple of really mild cases which cleared up quickly and didn't need treatment.

I would look at her food as some animals do react to certain ingredients though that does tend to show as stomach/itchy skin issues

fingers crossed it clears up soon
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
not a cat but we had a dog that suffered really badly with acne and she ended up needing a 6 month course of antibiotics to get it under control though after that she only ever had a couple of really mild cases which cleared up quickly and didn't need treatment.

I would look at her food as some animals do react to certain ingredients though that does tend to show as stomach/itchy skin issues

fingers crossed it clears up soon
Thank you. I think I’m going to switch her on to James Wellbeloved Hypoallergenic food, and see how she goes one that.