Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Dec 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
Thanks from me too, this has been a great thread and its lovely that we're keeping updated with our students progresses .

My DD comes home on Saturday for the Christmas break, she's home until 13th or 14th January, but has assignments which must be completed and submitted online by 8th.

She's just about ready to sign for her shared house next year, she is going to be sharing with one of her current flatmates, and 3 other girls who all know each other through my DD's flatmate. She's been spoiled this year in halls, as she can literally fall out of bed, walk across the road, and be at the business school. Next year she'll need to get the bus.
Georgia has lots of revision over Christmas as she has exams the week she goes back. She may not go back until the Wednesday instead of the weekend before though as she has no exams until the Thursday

Georgia has a free bus pass this year, so as the uni is up a very steep hill from her halls, she usually catches the bus up but walks down. Next year her accommodation is on a level 15 minute walk from the uni, and as she won’t have a free bus pass she will walk it both ways.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

A big thanks from me too from me!

O has been home since Sunday and doesn’t start back again until 4th February! He will probably fly back a week earlier. He loves life over there but is happy to be home too!

He is guaranteed on campus accommodation again next year so no woes on that front yet!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
A big thanks from me too from me!

O has been home since Sunday and doesn’t start back again until 4th February! He will probably fly back a week earlier. He loves life over there but is happy to be home too!

He is guaranteed on campus accommodation again next year so no woes on that front yet!
I bet you are enjoying having him home again 💕

Isn’t it wonderful that they love both their homes now? Georgia actually says she has two homes now, here and Bristol. She was so proud today of finding the house for next year and sorting out the contract herself. Although I think she will be a bit sad at leaving her halls this year as she loves her room there and has made it a real home from home, even down to buying herself a 5foot Xmas tree for it 😀 I think she will be happy to move in with her friends though, although she gets on fine with her current flatmates too.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Georgia has lots of revision over Christmas as she has exams the week she goes back. She may not go back until the Wednesday instead of the weekend before though as she has no exams until the Thursday

Georgia has a free bus pass this year, so as the uni is up a very steep hill from her halls, she usually catches the bus up but walks down. Next year her accommodation is on a level 15 minute walk from the uni, and as she won’t have a free bus pass she will walk it both ways.
I think we looked at those halls when we went to the open day in the summer. I nearly needed oxygen by the time I got to the top!
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Last day today for dd until 16th Jan. She’s having a couple of weeks off studying then is starting revision as she had mocks as soon as she goes back. I can’t believe how fast the year is going. Not long until the end of May and then the first year is over. Only 4 more to go!😂
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
I think we looked at those halls when we went to the open day in the summer. I nearly needed oxygen by the time I got to the top!
😂😂 Her halls are along the Harbourside which is a beautiful location and the halls are modern and her room is very big and comfortable. The city is very close and the uni just 15 minutes walk but wow the hill up to it is incredibly steep. Many students do walk it each day, but Georgia decided very early in the term that the free bus was going to be her chosen plan and she’s stuck to it 😂

I went with her on the train to an applicant day and we walked it from the train station, which is even further away. It was such a hot day, we were both red in the face, sweaty and unable to breathe, but Georgia still chose Bristol so she must have liked it a lot 😂
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Last day today for dd until 16th Jan. She’s having a couple of weeks off studying then is starting revision as she had mocks as soon as she goes back. I can’t believe how fast the year is going. Not long until the end of May and then the first year is over. Only 4 more to go!😂
You must be looking forward to having her home. Is she enjoying the Vetmed course? It must be very interesting and exciting for her to be starting on such a great career.

Georgia would have liked to have finished this week as she has exams as soon as she goes back and feels that by breaking up next week, she’s not got long for revision especially as she wants the two days of Christmas off of course. She has been doing a little revision over the last two weeks just to make a start.

Isn’t it strange to think that the year is over by the end of May? We will have to keep updating this thread for many years though to get to the end of your DD’s course and see it all through together 😀
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
You must be looking forward to having her home. Is she enjoying the Vetmed course? It must be very interesting and exciting for her to be starting on such a great career.

Georgia would have liked to have finished this week as she has exams as soon as she goes back and feels that by breaking up next week, she’s not got long for revision especially as she wants the two days of Christmas off of course. She has been doing a little revision over the last two weeks just to make a start.

Isn’t it strange to think that the year is over by the end of May? We will have to keep updating this thread for many years though to get to the end of your DD’s course and see it all through together 😀
She is loving every minute of it, especially the practical side of it. She said she feels a bit like a sponge at the moment as she is learning stuff so fast. There is tons of course content and she is in 9-5 every day but as she says, it will get her ready for eventually going out into practice for real. She’s just organising all her placements for over the Easter and Summer holidays as she needs something like 37 weeks over the 5 years to get her qualification to practice. Lots of exciting ones coming up!
We will definitely have to keep this thread going, it’s been a fantastic source of advice and support with one thing in common - we are all so incredibly proud of our kids and what they have achieved.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
She is loving every minute of it, especially the practical side of it. She said she feels a bit like a sponge at the moment as she is learning stuff so fast. There is tons of course content and she is in 9-5 every day but as she says, it will get her ready for eventually going out into practice for real. She’s just organising all her placements for over the Easter and Summer holidays as she needs something like 37 weeks over the 5 years to get her qualification to practice. Lots of exciting ones coming up!
We will definitely have to keep this thread going, it’s been a fantastic source of advice and support with one thing in common - we are all so incredibly proud of our kids and what they have achieved.
I’m so pleased to hear how much she is enjoying it. A workmate of my DH’s daughter always wanted to be a vet and worked so hard to get on a course, but gave up halfway through her first year as she wasn’t enjoying it. It was such a shock to her parents as it was all she’d ever wanted. But, as you say, it’s a very intense course that I think they need to have a total passion for, which your DD certainly has 😀

I agree it’s lovely to hear our children talking with enthusiasm about their course. Georgia spent ages last night messaging me about GenBank which is apparently a huge database of all the genomic sequences known and has to updated every time a new sequence is found. She found this fascinating and I couldn’t really understand why, until she explained that this helps identify every gene in a cell and therefore helps identify where exactly things go wrong sometimes or which genes are more likely to be the site for cancer etc Now I’m not sure I’ve explained this well or correctly on here, but it was amazing and I could hear how excited she was by this.

Anyway, I’ve waffled on again, I’m sure everyone is used to me doing that on here by now though 😂

Good luck again to your daughter, I’m excited to hear about her placements so please update us when she knows. It’s so good to follow all our children’s experiences and share our pride and love for them xx
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

I would like to thank everyone as well! I love reading how everyone is getting on

Joshua is coming home on Sunday for 4 weeks and I can’t wait

I was actually a bit worried when he started his History course as he had a gap year so wasn’t sure how he would cope getting back to study but so far his essays and assessments have come back very positive so I am very pleased

He is in the process of securing a house for next year with 5 others, none of them his current flat mates but people from his course and other friends he has made out and about

Joshua has 2 essays to do before he goes back so that will keep him a little bit busy but he is looking forward to not have to cook for 4 weeks ha ha

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and you all enjoy spending time with your children
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List