Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Dec 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile My manager apologised!

Some of you may remember my previous post about being overlooked for a possible promotion opportunity and the subsequent conversation I had with my manager when he encouraged me to look for a promotion elsewhere.
Last week it came to light and he actually admitted that he actively discouraged management from offering a promotion to a mutual friend of ours (who he’s known for about 7 years and got on amazingly well with)...he apologised to her for this and admitted that he did it because he feels intimidated by her and was scared she would do a better job than him!
Cue last night at our works Xmas party...he looked very awkward as my colleagues were praising me and saying I should get a band 6 post because I’m an amazing nurse etc etc...he didn’t know where to put himself. He then followed me outside when I left and said he is my friend and does really rate me as a nurse. I said it didn’t feel like that and relayed the previous conversation we had, he apologised and said he meant I could look elsewhere if it was something I wanted to do (he didn’t say it like that at the time and I think he knows this!) I said I feel like he doesn’t believe me when I say I’m okay and is waiting for me to become unwell again like I was last year...he denied this and said how amazingly well I’ve done this year and he can see that I’ve progressed and am really happy and in a good place. He said he is still struggling to adapt to the manager’s role (I think trying to tell me he’s not as confident as he makes out). I think we’ve definately cleared the air but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to trust him again which is sad. I think he’s feeling guilty for his behaviour over the past few weeks!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally I feel it was very unprofessional for anyone and everyone to discuss this matter at a Christmas function.

Discussing your performance is bad enough but to even mention another member of his staff beggars my belief .

I would have cut him short and said this is neither the time or place for such a discussion and certainly would not have engaged.

It puts both of you in a very difficult and precious position if any of it was overheard and repeated back.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Personally I feel it was very unprofessional for anyone and everyone to discuss this matter at a Christmas function.

Discussing your performance is bad enough but to even mention another member of his staff beggars my belief .

I would have cut him short and said this is neither the time or place for such a discussion and certainly would not have engaged.

It puts both of you in a very difficult and precious position if any of it was overheard and repeated back.
Agree with every word.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Sounds like he has been feeling bad about his poorly judged conversation with you, and so he should. Good that you were able to clear the air a bit though, and hopefully things will be better going forward. Main thing is you know your worth, and are not willing to be treated less than you deserve.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

All in all, it sounds like this guy is not cut out to manage people.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post

I think both of you should keep this kind of conversation in the workplace and not the Christmas party where I presume some alcohol was involved.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I think both of you should keep this kind of conversation in the workplace and not the Christmas party where I presume some alcohol was involved.
I don’t drink so was sober, he had been drinking though.
The conversation about our mutual friend didn’t take place between me and him...she told me they had a conversation last week and he’d admitted it to her.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

He’s the wrong person for that job. If he wants to stay in it he needs to ask for some people-management training pretty quickly. His own management should not accept his “recommendations” for who should or should not be promoted without compelling evidence such as formal assessment or disciplinary record.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
The conversation about our mutual friend didn’t take place between me and him...she told me they had a conversation last week and he’d admitted it to her.
sorry, drink or no drink as an ex-nurse manager, this is inappropriate and, to be honest, on both sides. If I was his manager I would be livid and I would not, If I was you, had that conversation either. Y ou are both dragging on an issue that should be discussed with HR or another manager, NOt at a works do
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
So as I said, alcohol was involved. It was not the time or the place. I think, as a manager, he was more at fault, but you too should try to keep these discussions in the work setting.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List