Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Jan 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Jordan & Petra

Very early stages of looking at but thinking of visiting here early next year.

Hopefully can use my Avios and companion voucher for the flights and hotels seem reasonable. Plan would be trip to Petra and Jerash then spending some time in Amman sightseeing too, staying about four days in total. I’ve wanted to go for a long time and think since I saw Petra in the Indy movie as a kid!

Trying to do it a bit cheaper ourselves DIY as hopefully we will be heading on a road trip back to the USA later in the year. Anyone been and have any tips or recommendations?

Edited at 10:09 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

You'll love it. I'd also seen Petra in the Indiana Jones movie. It was a tour from the cruise we were on. Wear comfy shoes as its a lot of walking, uphill all the way on the way out although you could haggle for a camel ride back and keep an eye on your belongings too. They can go missing in the blink of an eye.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post

It has been on our list for a while, but we have ruled out that part of the world altogether for the time being.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
It’s truly wonderful - I went a few years ago on a day trip from Sharm. No tips other than the comfy shoes and layers depending on the time of year. Have a great time.
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

on my bucket list

over christmas i watched travel man with richard ayoade & david baddiel in jordan

looks fantastic maybe on iplayer for you to have a watch for ideas

EDIT or 4od even

channel4/programmes/...mand/69041-001

Edited at 10:00 AM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Decided to go for it and have booked the flights. Used our Avios and Companion voucher which saved a good chunk off the flight cost and brought it down to a price I was willing to pay.

Just seeing if best to base ourselves in Amman and day trip out to places or arrange a total private trip meeting us as we land but will see how prices compare.

I’ll do a trip report if it’s of interest to anyone else and happy to hear any other recommendations if anyone else has been.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

A trip report would be fantastic, it’s a place we’ve wanted to visit for ages. Have a great trip.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
A trip report would be fantastic, it’s a place we’ve wanted to visit for ages. Have a great trip.
Absolutely this. Would love a trippie. On my bucket list 😁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

We always wanted to go to Jordan so decided to go for two days whilst we were staying in Israel .
The day before we were due to go Sadam Hussien decided to bomb Israel.
So we had to be emergency airlifted out back to Manchester.
Still would love to go.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a virtually full tour of Jordan and Petra was a highlight.

I was extremely lucky as it was during the period that various places were vying to be a New Seven Wonders of the World and Jordan Tourist Board were using Petra in their campaign. I came back from a walk up to the Monastery (hard work) and walked into the Treasury area(the one Mr Jones rides into at the end of the film) just as JTB were doing their photoshoot and they kindly didn't turn me away and allowed me to sit on a seat looking directly at that wonderful scene - there was just me, a camel and two photographers. I couldn't believe my luck and just sat there taking it all in - and managed some great photos myself with no hoards of tourists. Would love to go back and do Petra by night. If you get the chance to read amazon/Married-Bed.../dp/1844082202 it is a fascinating book about how a Kiwi backpacker married into the Bedoiuns who lived in Petra. On my walk up to the Monastery she was actually there and she was absolutely fabulous and so generous with her time - not sure if she is still in the Petra area but acccording to tripadvisor she was in March 2018.

Other highlights were overnight in Wadi Rum in a tent (freezing in March) with a camel who liked eating toilet rolls and a fabulous cooked in the ground lamb meal similar to a gold old New Zealand hangi. Mount Nebo where Moses was suppoed to have seen the promised land - my visit was just after Pope Paul so even though I am not particularly religious it was very moving. Jerash was interesting and reminded me of a certain Hadrians Wall near where I live. Also did Dead Sea (well you have to) - a little known fact about the Kempinski Hotel there is that Boris Yelstsin the late Russian leader drank the hotel dry of vodka! The food in Amman was very good especially snack dishes like falafel cooked fresh - there was one dessert which cropped up repeatedly and the only way I could describe it is white blancmange that smelt of Savlon but it tasted better than it smelt.

Even back in the early 2000's there was a movement to help Jordanian women start up small businesses to give them independence and I believe that this still flourishes to this day.

I hope everyone who wants to visit gets the chance as it is a very welcoming country with some great scenery - I will go back one day this time taking my partner.

Just checked and the Pope's visit was 2000 so perhaps more than a few years since my visit

Edited at 10:50 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List