Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jan 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile Do you always book plane seats?

Hello! We have always flown with virgin but our next trip will be with British Airways. We haven't ever paid with virgin to prebook seats but with BA you Do. I was wondering how likely it is that we will be split up if we Don't? We are a family of 4, 2ads 1ch age 13 and 1ch 6

Thank you for your replies! 😊
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

As you have a child travelling with you BA will allocate your seats about 5 days before sometimes before that, if you don’t like them you can swap at 24hrs, BA are very good for putting families together, I woudnt bother paying for them.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We’re mavericks and have never pre-paid for any seats on any flights. We have always been seated more or less together - the most we’ve been separated was having 2 in front and 2 behind (kids are 8 &11) and that was with Jet2 last summer. Whenever we’ve travelled with Virgin and BA (BA most recently), we’ve been allocated seats together on online check-in. I think airlines deliberately prey on people’s insecurities to make more money and I refuse to buy into it. However, I understand why people do for th certainty. For us, we don’t actually care too much whether or not we’re seated together.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you! We have paid for them on the way out for the certainty, the 2 kids haven't flown before and are a little nervous - also want a window seat so they can see out. But I think we will probably leave it for the way back
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have never paid to book -seats - if it’s free due to seat class then we book it, but have been several times while VA were charging for their old Economy seats and never paid. My sons are 18 and 22 tho, so not a problem if they have to sit by themselves. Generally I don’t agree with charging for something that was always free in the past so won’t line the airline’s pockets with my hard earned cash. I understand those that want to ensure younger kids are sat next to their parents though - generally if it matters that much, pay the extra to sit together.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would never pay to reserve seats. But if free, I would reserve them.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Mobile

We always pay to book our seats on the plane, yeh it’s annoying to have to pay for seats with BA bit in the grand scheme of things it’s not much.
Always remember though that even though you have paid for certain seats the airline can still move you if they want and you have no say, but you can claim the money back from the airline
Orlandoguy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve always paid in the past with other airlines as I generally think it’s worth the little extra for peace of mind and because I get travel sick so prefer certain areas of the plane.
However, not precooked for this Easter as BA want £52 per person per leg for my preferred seats (which are just normal seats 4 in centre in front half of plane). Add on the domestic flight and we’d have to fork out nearly £500 just for seats. I’ve got an under 12 and read they preallocate families so keeping fingers crossed we get allocated seats together at 5-7 days out. If not I’ll be online exactly as check in opens - as we have a connecting flight it will open up a bit earlier than those starting their journey at Heathrow. Worst case we get split up and then I might book the return leg seats depending how we’ve coped with it.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes always. 9 of us so like to be seated together. Grandaughter likes to take turns to sit with everybody.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jane2211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yes I’ve booked our seats with BA purely because we all want to see together. 😊