Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Nov 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Help me plan chilled trip including Theme Parks

Been to Orlando for the last two years and going back in May 2020.

For 2021 my wide has said she wants a more chilled out holiday next but me and the kids like to be more active so we are looking for a compromise and California might offer it but need some advice.

My wife wants around 7 or more days just chilling out at a pool where we can walk to restaurants, have a drink and don't need to drive. Some sort of all inclusive or similar and I was just wondering if that was possible around the California area / San Diego etc - open to ideas.

We would also like to spend some time at Universal / Disneyland.

I know very little about this side of the country / options - first thoughts to go here / post.

Any suggestions on where to stay and how to split up a 14 night holiday which enables these two requirements.

Edited at 05:11 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Yes possible. BUt to go that far and not explore ! . Perhaps a road trip with 3/4 - 3/4 night stops which can be exploring or one person can chill.

Edited at 01:52 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi - AI isn’t a thing in California (or anywhere in America) so a week of that exact match may not be there.

From California, would an AI South in Mexico be an option (no idea how you’d do it but must be possible). Otherwise I’d suggest San Diego but don’t think you’ll find AI there. Or a cruise?

Just a week for the theme parks though seems a bit of a compromise too - especially as they aren’t all that close like in Orlando?

Finally the best bits of California for me are the sheer range of amazing and wonderful stuff to experience. If you just want theme parks and relaxing time maybe other options would be better. But I’d consider including other options for California, which is so much wider in scope.
Old 1 Dec 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

What about a split stay between Las Vegas and Anaheim? Vegas can be whatever you want it to be, which is the beauty of it. We’ve sunbathed during the day, then gone out in the evening for dinner and drinks. You could either drive or fly between Vegas and Anaheim, it’s not too far.

Edit - if you wanted to go to Universal Studios too you could do 4 nights in Anaheim, 3 nights more central LA (Burbank, for example) and 7 nights Vegas.

Edited at 01:02 PM.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
What about a split stay between Las Vegas and Anaheim? Vegas can be whatever you want it to be, which is the beauty of it. We’ve sunbathed during the day, then gone out in the evening for dinner and drinks. You could either drive or fly between Vegas and Anaheim, it’s not too far.

Edit - if you wanted to go to Universal Studios too you could do 4 nights in Anaheim, 3 nights more central LA (Burbank, for example) and 7 nights Vegas.
I wondered about Vegas too, but it’s very far from AI isn’t it!
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I wondered about Vegas too, but it’s very far from AI isn’t it!
I certainly don't drink as many cocktails round the pool in Vegas as I do on an AI holiday, I'd need a mortgage to pay for them!
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

There are a decent number of hotels in the Anaheim area within walking distance of Disneyland/DCA (and Downtown Disney), as well as a few restaurants and a tiny shopping mall-like area. Some of them are very basic (think motel), some looked like very nice aparthotel type places with kitchens, and some looked really very nice. There are of course the 3 Disney hotels but they are very expensive compared to the other hotels in the area.

Anyway, the hotels in the Anaheim area might fit the chilling out at a pool (depending on how good the pool is), walking to restaurants and having a drink without needing to drive. And will also help with the Disneyland bit of the trip. Knott's Berry Farm is also somewhat close by (can easily Uber there to/from the Anaheim area).

Downside is that Anaheim is a bit more expensive than some other nearby areas due to proximity to Disneyland, and hotel pricing can go a bit nuts - and possibly sell out - if there is a large conference going on at the same time at the convention centre.
Old 1 Dec 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

Our plan for 2021 is a few days in Palm Springs to chill out after our days in LA and before we head for Disney.
We are hoping to book an Airbnb with a pool but there are also lots of really nice looking spa hotels in Palm Springs that might fit what you're looking for.
Old 1 Dec 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I certainly don't drink as many cocktails round the pool in Vegas as I do on an AI holiday, I'd need a mortgage to pay for them!
Same 😂
Old 1 Dec 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

When I think of a traditional all-inclusive hotel, I’m thinking of a hotel where all your food, drinks and activities are included in a set price- correct? I’m from San Diego and I can’t think of any hotels here that fit that traditional all-inclusive description. I don’t think it’s a thing in the US, although as another person pointed out there are a lot of them in Mexico.

There are some big hotels in San Diego that have nice pools, restaurants on the premises, spas and some activities but you pay for each of those things separately. Some of these resort style hotels that come to mind are the Hilton San Diego on Mission Bay sandiegohilton/mobile/home/, and the Catamaran Hotel catamaranresort/ Both of these hotels are also very close to the beach, but there isn’t much within a convenient, easy walking distance from the hotels for food etc.

The best place to stay in San Diego with the most restaurants and sightseeing within walking distance from hotels is in the city center- what we usually call downtown. There are some nice hotels on the water there that have pools, restaurants, lounges and spas (but again, not all-inclusive) such as the Marriott Marquis marriott/hotels/trav...-diego-marina/, the Manchester Grand Hyatt hyatt/en-US/hotel/ca...an-diego/sanrs, and the Hilton Bayfront www3.hilton/en/hotels/ca...CHH/index.html

Coronado is a small resort town on a peninsula off downtown and has a couple of very nice, high end resort hotels that offer a lot of amenities. There is a historic, Victorian era hotel that is famous called the Hotel Del Coronado hoteldel/ and there is the Loews Coronado loewshotels/coronado-bay-resort I have to mention that the Coronado hotels are the most expensive in San Diego though.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List