Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 10 Dec 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Butts1 View Post
But have your wages quadrupled in the last ten years ?
It also depends on what time of year you went 10 years ago and what time of year you are going now. The price depends on the date - the current price starts from $70+tax.

I would also point out that the prices are expected to increase over a 10 year period. I might not expect the price to quadruple (that does seem a lot), but I wouldn't have been surprised if the price had almost doubled over a 10 year period. In about the last 8 years or so, Universal's park ticket price has almost tripled.

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
well, one small part of it lies in the exchange rate
The OP quoted prices in dollars, not pounds. So exchange rate isn't a factor.

The price in dollars has quadrupled. The price will have increased even more if converted into pounds.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Butts1
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It also depends on what time of year you went 10 years ago and what time of year you are going now. The price depends on the date - the current price starts from $70+tax.

I would also point out that the prices are expected to increase over a 10 year period. I might not expect the price to quadruple (that does seem a lot), but I wouldn't have been surprised if the price had almost doubled over a 10 year period. In about the last 8 years or so, Universal's park ticket price has almost tripled.

The OP quoted prices in dollars, not pounds. So exchange rate isn't a factor.

The price in dollars has quadrupled. The price will have increased even more if converted into pounds.
Is the whole enterprise basically a rip off ?
Butts1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Butts1 View Post
Is the whole enterprise basically a rip off ?
No. It's standard supply and demand economics.

Some people want the Express Passes and are willing to pay for them. Obviously Universal can't make the price too low otherwise lots of people would buy them making the whole point of them redundant; there would be more people in the Express line than the regular line. So Universal sets the price based on selling only a certain number to a smallish percentage of guests. That makes sure the benefit of having an Express Pass is still worth it whilst maximising profit (they are a business after all).

The reason that the price is more than we'd expect is because lots of people are willing to buy them. You might think they are a rip off but there are plenty of people who disagree and buy them (and think they were worth the purchase). There are lots of people here on the DIBB that get them and recommend others should get them.

The other way of looking at it is that it comes down to perceived worth versus actual cost. If you think the Express Passes are "worth" $25 but cost $100 then they will seem like a rip off to you. Whereas if you think they are "worth" $100 then they won't be a rip off. The worth of something like Express Passes is very difficult to measure though - especially in terms of dollars - and will be different for different people.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
deek72
Serious Dibber

Do all Universal hotels include a 2 day express pass, even the 'value' ones?

I've just looked into this a little more. It seems you only get the passes when staying at Hard Rock and the two Loewes hotels?

Have I got this right? I just got a price from Expedia for 2 rooms (5A + 5C) at Hard Rock for one night in Sept 2020, the price comes in at £550. So for £550 we'd get unlimited Express passes for all 10 guests for 2 consecutive days (we only have 2 park - 2 day tickets for Universal)? That works out at about £27 per day per person and I could live with that.

Does it also include 2 days parking?

Edited at 11:39 AM.
deek72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
deek72
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
it DOES make sense, and that's why so many people do it

also remember that ONE night at RPR, HRH or PBH gives you 2 (TWO) days of express passes

you get express (that's your room key) from check in (as early as 6:30am if you wish) to the end of your check out day

so 1 night, 2 days of express ... yeah, that does indeed make a lot of sense
So you can definitely use your Express pass from opening on check in day? I assume you can't use the room until the afternoon though?

Do all guests have their own express pass, so peeps can go their individual ways, or are they all on one and you have to stay together?
deek72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by deek72 View Post
So you can definitely use your Express pass from opening on check in day?
I assume you can't use the room until the afternoon though?

Do all guests have their own express pass, so peeps can go their individual ways, or are they all on one and you have to stay together?
Yes you can definitely use it from opening on check in day. Occasionally you’ll be lucky and the room is ready. If not you can leave any bags will bell services while you go to the parks.

Everyone has their own room key which is also your express pass so you can all go off on your own if you want!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
deek72
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Yes you can definitely use it from opening on check in day. Occasionally you’ll be lucky and the room is ready. If not you can leave any bags will bell services while you go to the parks.

Everyone has their own room key which is also your express pass so you can all go off on your own if you want!
Thanks. Sounds like a no-brainer then, it works out about £27 pppd. We might even make an event out of it, Universal one day, night out at City Walk, then actually stay in the hotel for an early start at IOA
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks. Sounds like a no-brainer then, it works out about £27 pppd. We might even make an event out of it, Universal one day, night out at City Walk, then actually stay in the hotel for an early start at IOA
Yes, it's certainly worth considering.

We stayed a night at RPR last time, mainly to get the Express Passes and also to save us travelling back and to from CBR at Disney. We were a bit late at arriving at RPR on the first day - I think we arrived at 9:30am - but I can confirm we could use the Express Passes from that time and for the whole of our day. Our room didn't become available until later in the afternoon.

I think the room cost us around £210. So that worked out at £35pppd for the 3 of us. Which is much better than the cost to buy the Express Passes separately.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 13 Dec 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I'm not sure about the cost of parking but you do pay at universal hotels. Look into the cost of parking vs an uber or Lyft as it may be cheaper depending where you are staying.

The advantage of the hotel means you can rest during the day too.

September can be very quiet and you may not need Express passes.

Edited at 08:07 AM.
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Do all Universal hotels include a 2 day express pass, even the 'value' ones?
no, only RPR, HRH and PBH enjoy free unlimited express and Early Admission
others hotel though still get Early Admission

So for £550 we'd get unlimited Express passes for all 10 guests for 2 consecutive days
bear in mind that rooms will accomodate up to 5 guests, but will only sleep 4
if you need an additionnal bed, for the 5th person, the hotel will charge $25 a night. Or you can share beds, sleep on the ground, or use your own inflatable bed like americans who drive to orlando often do.
you're also charged $25 per night, per adult over 18 (exceeding 2 adults) in the room, expedia might have factored that price in (check with 2 adults only to see price difference)

Does it also include 2 days parking?
no
parking is paid per night. you'll currently pay $27 per night (+tax) to park overnight at a deluxe hotel

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
I'm not sure about the cost of parking but you do pay at universal hotels. Look into the cost of parking vs an uber or Lyft as it may be cheaper depending where you are staying.
agreed
now, having the car means the opportunity to go eat offsite, as there are some nice places on idrive close to universal, and for a bit cheaper than what you'd find at citywalk or inparks
that needs to be factored in, as well as a uber to go dining if one don't take the car

September can be very quiet and you may not need Express passes.
agreed.
a night at one of the lower category hotels would provide cool down time at the pool, rest opportunities, as well as early entry, even though no express passes.
still, even at slow periods, express passes are useful, surely not as useful as during peak times, but once you get to taste the express, there is no going back to being a mere muggle IYSWIM
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List